Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rover27

Who's the new female host on TCM?

18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wow, talk about being presumptuous.     First how do you know what 'most here find disturbing'? 

Also,  I have know this user for a long time (e.g. on the other\old forum that TCM used to host) and while their knowledge of studio-era movies is 'light' their interest isn't.

Before you throw words around like "presumptuous", it might be time for you to read the comments in the thread and how others have agreed with me that constant name changes are disturbing and constant complaining about TCM ( the hosts, programming, etc) rather than commenting on films isn't appreciated. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

I have one account. I have never used multiple names. I have over 500 posts and they are all tied together with one account. Getting along with others sounds like walking on egg shells and conforming to their desires. Is that how it should be?

I got angry and overreacted with one forum member when I closed my first account. Went for close to a month and tried to sneak back in and start a-new. I have explained all of this in the open already too. I was 'discovered' and welcomed back.

I don't think changing my name is a big deal. I am not a troll and the name calling offends me. My personal health should not be part of the equation.

I do not subscribe to the rumors I've seen about a former member having multiple names and accounts.

The word constant is in error. Negative comments about TCM are ongoing. Often started by newbies who never return. Until recently, I didn't know you. I must have done something to offend you. On the other hand, every time I am in the same thread with Miss Wonderly 3, she disagrees and argues with me. Once I made a comment about all the smoke on the Noir Alley site. She got all over me about it.

I have not seen rules regarding this forum. I don't believe bullying and bashing an individual with exaggerations is considered acceptable.

Well, look at it this way, BillyBob: at least I'm still responding to you. Most people prefer attention, even negative attention, to outright being ignored. And to be honest, I have been tempted to put you on "ignore" (I assume, adept at navigating internet sites as you claim to be, you are familiar with that feature.)

I will try and make the effort to communicate to you clearly and politely why I find many of your posts annoying. It is not my intention to insult you or hurt your feelings, just to explain what I see as a problem.

Ok: Most of the time, your comments tend to have very little to do with whatever topic is being discussed on any given thread. I think this might be because you are not familiar with the film, or director, or type of film (as in noir) under discussion, but you want to join in anyway. I agree it is unkind to make a person feel unwelcome; however, sometimes I genuinely do not understand why you want to participate in a conversation about a movie you either have not seen, or have little liking for or interest in. I cannot recall any post you've ever made that actually talks, on even a superficial level, about a movie. You sort of talk around the movie. The end result of this is, it can be a bit derailing and distracting, off-putting even.

I just think that, if you - as you have plainly stated on numerous occasions - you prefer old television shows and also, old music (nothing wrong with either of those things, lots of people here love them), then it would make more sense, for your sake as much as anyone's , for you to seek out internet websites that discuss them, rather than a classic movie website.

As for the thing about "smoking", I sincerely at first did not know what you were talking about. And when you did explain what you meant, it struck me as an odd thing to complain about, since almost every movie made in the 40s and 50s has just about every character smoking in it. That's the way it was then, it seems pointless to complain about it. That's all I meant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

I have one account. I have never used multiple names. I have over 500 posts and they are all tied together with one account. Getting along with others sounds like walking on egg shells and conforming to their desires. Is that how it should be?

I got angry and overreacted with one forum member when I closed my first account. Went for close to a month and tried to sneak back in and start a-new. I have explained all of this in the open already too. I was 'discovered' and welcomed back.

I don't think changing my name is a big deal. I am not a troll and the name calling offends me. My personal health should not be part of the equation.

I do not subscribe to the rumors I've seen about a former member having multiple names and accounts.

Having one user name and not fighting with other people in the Noir Alley pages or being off topic should absolutely not be "walking on egg shells." Literally everyone else here manages to do these things. People aren't just picking on you for no reason. No one is asking you to "conform to their desires" but if you want to keep on changing your name and trolling people then don't be confused when people get annoyed and tired of what you're doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Very beautiful woman and I know she wrote a book Backwards and In Heels or something like that but I cannot tolerate hearing her butcher the names of classic Hollywood people. Nothing to do with the accent, she's just not schooled enough in Hollywood history to know who these people are. The people behind the scenes probably could help her better but I suspect some of those people are millenials that don't have any clue either.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Sheeesh! I thought this was a family website ...not an air force base!

:)

It must be those dang millenials.    (and Sgt.,  Malone is wearing a t-shirt not a teddy).

Below is a photo that Alicia really likes and one I hadn't seen until I went to google her:

Image result for alicia malone

39 minutes ago, vidorisking said:

Very beautiful woman and I know she wrote a book Backwards and In Heels or something like that but I cannot tolerate hearing her butcher the names of classic Hollywood people. Nothing to do with the accent, she's just not schooled enough in Hollywood history to know who these people are. The people behind the scenes probably could help her better but I suspect some of those people are millenials that don't have any clue either.

How do you mean "butcher the names of classic Hollywood people" ? You specify you're not referring to her Australian accent. Can you give me an example? 

Also, sometimes a person knows the meaning of a word, or the significance of a name, but has never heard it pronounced the way it's "supposed" to be pronounced. Two of my own examples: I used to think the word "alias" was pronounced "ah-lye-iss"  (instead of "aye-lee-iss"). I knew what the word meant, but I'd never heard it pronounced out loud. It was embarrassing for me when I was corrected, it was in front of a bunch of people and I felt like an idiot. (The fact that I knew what "alias" meant made no difference.)

Second example: I have known who Paul Heinreid is for years, and am familiar with many of his films. But I always thought his name was pronounced "Ahn-reed". He was Star of the Month a year or two ago, and I was surprised to hear, in the promotional short about him, the narrator saying the name as "Hen-reed". This was the actor's own daughter doing the talking, so she ought to know ! But there you go. My point is, it didn't mean I was ignorant about Paul Henreid's work, just ignorant about how to pronounce his name.

This is a long way of saying that, just because you think that Alicia Malone mispronounces some of the names of the actors and other film people she talks about (and personally, I've never heard her do this), it doesn't mean that she's ignorant about film.

I wonder why so many people on these forums think the TCM hosts are ignoramuses? I've not found that to be so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Point clearly accepted misswonderly. I have so many movies on DVR I cannot give you an example right now, however usually in the moment I get heated when I hear a name butchered. Years ago the young lady who use to read off the next 3 movies on the schedule use to do a hack job on the narration of the names and I suspect that's why there isn't a voiceover anymore to read the movies (stinks if you are visually impaired). Malone does an alright job and has not entered the Tiffany V. zone as of yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't really care that much about the hosts, but I wish they would move TCM Imports

from its time slot after Silent Sundays to a more reasonable hour, maybe midnight on

Friday or another week day.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't really care that much about the hosts, but I wish they would move TCM Imports

from its time slot after Silent Sundays to a more reasonable hour, maybe midnight on

Friday or another week day.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind TCM Underground  on Fridays at midnight, TCM Imports Saturdays at midnight, and Silent Sundays having a double feature on Sundays instead of the usual one, or one + a short. Move the Saturday Noir showing to 10:00 PM ET.

As of now, the Saturday late nights, after the Noir, seem to be a mixed bag of usually newer films from the 70s, 80s or 90s. I'd like to see those spread out around the schedule.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind TCM Underground  on Fridays at midnight, TCM Imports Saturdays at midnight, and Silent Sundays having a double feature on Sundays instead of the usual one, or one + a short. Move the Saturday Noir showing to 10:00 PM ET.

As of now, the Saturday late nights, after the Noir, seem to be a mixed bag of usually newer films from the 70s, 80s or 90s. I'd like to see those spread out around the schedule.

Sounds good to me. Of course one could always record the ones that start very late,

but that's just another hassle. 

8 hours ago, vidorisking said:

Point clearly accepted misswonderly. I have so many movies on DVR I cannot give you an example right now, however usually in the moment I get heated when I hear a name butchered. Years ago the young lady who use to read off the next 3 movies on the schedule use to do a hack job on the narration of the names and I suspect that's why there isn't a voiceover anymore to read the movies (stinks if you are visually impaired). Malone does an alright job and has not entered the Tiffany V. zone as of yet.

I believe you may be talking of voice-over artist Robin Bittman here, vidorisking. Up until a few years ago, and as you mention, she was basically "the third voice of TCM" during the time Bob Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz were the only regular on-air hosts.

I do not believe she was ultimately let go of her duties due to any mispronunciations of the names of actors nor due to any other possible deficiencies in her voice-over work, but in my view and in the view of many others around here at the time we noticed her work missing from TCM broadcasts, most likely due to some costs-saving measures which had been instituted by TCM management at the time.

And btw, I personally always thought her voice had a very pleasant and pleasing sound to it, and in fact I'd even go so far as to say that after Bob Osborne's, Robin's voice was probably THE best sounding voice I've heard coming from anyone whose voice were or are representing TCM's contents, past and/or present.

(...well, at least SHE didn't have a freakin' NASALLY VOICE like Ben and Alicia have, anyway!!!)

LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I didn't even know Ireland had..err, 'developed'... an air power

Well, they DO have their flagship airline of Aer Lingus anyway, ya know Sarge.

And WHICH as that old joke went back in the day, was once considering a merger with Continental Airlines to form a carrier called...

(...well, considering how prudish it is around here, I better not tell you the punchline to this one...BUT seein' as how I know you've always been pretty quick on the ol' uptake, I'm pretty darn sure you can figure this one out even if you've never heard this one before) ;)

• Haha 1

Thanks for the info Dargo, I always wanted to know her name. I miss the way the programming schedule looked in the late 90’s throughout the 2000’s with that bright color and TCM character logos. Any idea the name of the male voiceover on the schedule during that time? Now that was a voice!

Still waiting for a pic of this 'Tiffany Vasquez'. (Where is she now, skid row? Nickelodeon?)

40 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Still waiting for a pic of this 'Tiffany Vasquez'. (Where is she now, skid row? Nickelodeon?)

After great effort (3-5 seconds), I found this:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1216487|0/Tiffany-Vazquez-Saturday-Daytime-Host.html

I will leave you to Google what she is doing now.

• Thanks 1

H'mmm. I hate the kind of thin remark I'm about to make ...but here goes anyway. I made it first in the case of Dave Karger(sp?) and I regretted it afterwards but its just this: these glamorous hosts just don't strike me as the kind of people who sit at home watching ancient b&w movies til 4am the next morning. I carp about Mank's hairdo but let's face it, Osborn and Mank both look like they spent many solitary hours sitting alone in front of their curved screen 32" Magnavox sets. That's the kind of host I trust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

H'mmm. I hate the kind of thin remark I'm about to make ...but here goes anyway. I made it first in the case of Dave Karger(sp?) and I regretted it afterwards but its just this: these glamorous hosts just don't strike me as the kind of people who sit at home watching ancient b&w movies til 4am the next morning. I carp about Mank's hairdo but let's face it, Osborn and Mank both look like they spent many solitary hours sitting alone in front of their curved screen 32" Magnavox sets. That's the kind of host I trust.

FYI:  When Ben was hired by TCM,  he was asked to modify his 'look' as to contrast with Osborne.   E.g. have facial hair,  grow the hair longer,  dress in a more casual style etc...      Ben mentions this in a L.A. Times interview a few years back.

The point being that the host only has so much say about their 'look'.   They are employees and their look will be modified as defined by upper management.   Now I'm not say there look is 'phony' (i.e. not close to how they would look in 'real live' if they were NOT a host), which is why I used the term 'modified'.

So it is safe to assume this glamorous 'look' you mention is what the producers wish to communicate to audiences.    Note that guest-hosts are 100% authentic.    David Letterman with his Sterling Hayden 60s look!

editorial_120205_1_1_Sterling_Hayden.jpg?fit=240%2C248&ssl=1

Image result for david letterman