Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"NO. NO. NO! I SAT HERE AND BEHAVED THREE YEARS AGO WHEN ******* MERYL WON HER THIRD ****** OSCAR AND I KNOW "ALBERT NOBBS" WASN'T GREAT, BUT SERIOUSLY, DID YOU SEE "THE IRON LADY"???!!!!!!!!"

Yes, I saw it and liked it. Considering she lost so many times for roles she deserved, I dont think it was a bad choice.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THEY LEFT CAROL CHANNING OUT OF THE "IN MEMORIUM" SEGMENT!!!!!!!

YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!

LOL. They probably thought she didnt appear in enough movies. There should be a rule that an Oscar win or nomination is AUTOMATIC INCLUSION. (Dorothy Malone; Sondra Locke etc.) I actually forgot it was on, then remembered 10 mins in and recorded it. Dont think I missed any awards. I'll have to FF through it the next few nights as I need the space to record something later in the week. Poor Glenn. She must've really thought she was going to win with that outfit. I think she's tied with Peter O'Toole with the most nominations and no wins. I didnt see The Wife, but did see Olivia in The Favourite...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

. Poor Glenn. She must've really thought she was going to win with that outfit. I think she's tied with Peter O'Toole with the most nominations and no wins. I didnt see The Wife, but did see Olivia in The Favourite...

God, I bet she wishes like ANYTHING she'd worn a plain navy sheath with pearls.

EVEN IF SHE'D WON, IT WAS TOO MUCH.

It looked like one of NORMA SHEARER'S ensembles from THE WOMEN.

22 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I saw it and liked it. Considering she lost so many times for roles she deserved, I dont think it was a bad choice.

i have to admit i have seen niether ALBERT NOBBS nor THE IRON LADY, I got  a little carried away in role-playing what must've been going through GLENN'S head last night.

There was also a sort of "I saw it in the window and I couldn't resist it"/strong semblance to drapes quality to the CAPE ATTACHED TO GLENN'S GOWN.

Only the curtains came from Liberace's house in Vegas.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. They probably thought she didnt appear in enough movies. There should be a rule that an Oscar win or nomination is AUTOMATIC INCLUSION. (Dorothy Malone; Sondra Locke etc.) I actually forgot it was on, then remembered 10 mins in and recorded it. Dont think I missed any awards. I'll have to FF through it the next few nights as I need the space to record something later in the week. Poor Glenn. She must've really thought she was going to win with that outfit. I think she's tied with Peter O'Toole with the most nominations and no wins. I didnt see The Wife, but did see Olivia in The Favourite...

Hibi, what did you think of The Favourite ? 

I saw it a week or so ago. I thought it was fascinating, a really smart movie where I was never bored. You never knew what was going to happen next. I loved the costumes and sets, and also the depiction of early 18th century England. (Hey, if this was how the rich people lived, how miserable must it have been for the poor?)

And the way it was all about the struggle for power, the tug-of-war over who was going to get the attention of the Queen, was so well depicted. In fact, - go ahead and laugh at me - the final scene reminded me in some ways of the final scene in The Godfather (very different, but another great film about the aquiring and consolidation of power...)

At the same time, this is not a film that I would recommend to most people. It was in many ways unpleasant, nasty even, and certainly dark. But also really smart, and funny in a bleak way. It was an unusual combination of entertaining, thought-provoking, and depressing.

So...after all that, I'm really interested to hear your opinion on The Favourite. (spelt with a "u", by the way. 🤨.)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

There was also a sort of "I saw it in the window and I couldn't resist it"/strong semblance to drapes quality to the CAPE ATTACHED TO GLENN'S GOWN.

Only the curtains came from Liberace's house in Vegas.

On the red carpet, Glenn told the interviewer that the gown had over a million golden beads, and that the whole thing weighed 47 pounds.     !

21 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I WANNA SAY PETER O'TOOLE (oops caps lock) got 8 nominations.

ps- did you like THE FAVOURITE?

Did you see it, Lorna?  Guess you can see what I thought of The Favourite (just scroll up a little.) If you did, I'll ask the same question of you that I asked of Hibi...did you think it was good? (I guess that's not quite the same thing as "did you like it?" )

Although I love Gillian Welch and David Rawlings (and for that matter, the Coen brothers), and I did really like that funny little song they did about the Cowboy's Spurs (?), I have to say, I think Lady Gaga did deserve her award for Best Song.

I know everyone's probably sick of "Shallow" by now, but it really is a good song. And I'm a harsh music critic.

13 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Hibi, what did you think of The Favourite ? 

I saw it a week or so ago. I thought it was fascinating, a really smart movie where I was never bored. You never knew what what going to happen next. I loved the costumes and sets, and also the depiction of early 18th century England. (Hey, if this was how the rich people lived, how miserable must it have been for the poor?)

And the way it was all about the struggle for power, the tug-of-war over who was going to get the attention of the Queen, was so well depicted. In fact, - go ahead and laugh at me - the final scene reminded me in some ways of the final scene in The Godfather (very different, but another great film about the aquiring and consolidation of power...)

At the same time, this is not a film that I would recommend to most people. It was in many ways unpleasant, nasty even, and certainly dark. But also really smart, and funny in a bleak way. It was an unusual combination of entertaining, thought-provoking, and depressing.

So...after all that, I'm really interested to hear your opinion on The Favourite. (spelt with a "u", by the way. 🤨.)

I loved it! From what I've read it's not historically accurate (about Queen Anne, who was rather prudish) but her relationship with Sarah was fairly accurate. Definitely not for those easily offended! I was surprised Olivia was nominated in the Best Actress category as I felt her role wasnt any bigger than the other two actresses. Very surprised it did not win in the best costume or art direction categories....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

God, I bet she wishes like ANYTHING she'd worn a plain navy sheath with pearls.

EVEN IF SHE'D WON, IT WAS TOO MUCH.

It looked like one of NORMA SHEARER'S ensembles from THE WOMEN.

LMREO! I only got a look of it in stills. Hopefully a better view when I FF through the proceedings.......

46 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i have to admit i have seen niether ALBERT NOBBS nor THE IRON LADY, I got  a little carried away in role-playing what must've been going through GLENN'S head last night.

LOL. OK, I get it.

8 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

As for Best Actor, who the frig is Rami Malek, anyway? Yes, I saw Bohemian Rhapsody (I have a friend who's a big Queen fan who dragged me to it), and it was entertaining enough, and yes, Rami Malek was pretty darn good as Freddy Mercury. But ...really? What else has this guy ever been in? I feel he hasn't paid his dues yet. This wouldn't matter if he'd absolutely blown everyone away, but, good as he was, I don't think the role was that much of a challenge. Not compared to, say, Christian Bale, who was fantastic as Dick Chaney in Vice.

Rami Malek starred in the TV series Mr. Robot (about activist computer hackers), which was a big critical success, and for which Malek earned an Emmy award as Best Actor in a drama. He's been appearing in television and film for 15 years, including a number of big-budget movies, most of which were garbage (Battleship, the Twilight movies, the Night at the Museum movies). But he was good in the aforementioned Short Term 12, and he was in PT Anderson's The Master, as well as two of Spike Lee's films.

And on a side note, in my personal opinion the two best male acting performances of the year weren't even nominated (Ethan Hawke in First Reformed and Joaquin Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I WANNA SAY PETER O'TOOLE (oops caps lock) got 8 nominations.

ps- did you like THE FAVOURITE?

Maybe, I'll have to look it up. I think Venus may have been his 8th. LOVED IT! (The Favourite).

Edit: Yes, you are right. O'Toole did have 8. I'd forgotten about Venus. So there's still hope for Glenn (to get snubbed!)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

Can anyone explain WHY Tom Jones (1963) won?  I've never been able to figure that one out.

(And does anyone remember A Beautiful Mind (2001) for anything other than "Fellowship of the Ring should have won"?)

Sure, Eric, I can explain why Tom Jones won. 1) 1963 was not a very good year for Hollywood films. We'd probably be having this discussion about any other film that won. This is the year where Danny Peary of Alternate Oscars decided that NO film should have won. 2) Hollywood films were becoming more open to portrayals of sexuality, and TJ was a forerunner in this respect. 3) All the jump cuts and camera antics that look old hat to you (and to me as well) were new and exciting in 1963. Tom Jones was cutting edge in both subject matter and technique. 4) Tom Jones is actually a reasonably faithful adaptation of Henry Fielding's novel, and so it had literary prestige as well. 5) Even today most people would find it entertaining, provided they can stomach all the techniques that looked so fresh in 1963 and look so dated now.

As I've said on too many occasions, my most detested Oscar winners are Going My Way and Braveheart, and I'd rather watch a triple feature of The Broadway Melody, Cavalcade, and Cimarron than see either of them start to finish.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Rami Malek starred in the TV series Mr. Robot (about activist computer hackers), which was a big critical success, and for which Malek earned an Emmy award as Best Actor in a drama. He's been appearing in television and film for 15 years, including a number of big-budget movies, most of which were garbage (Battleship, the Twilight movies, the Night at the Museum movies). But he was good in the aforementioned Short Term 12, and he was in PT Anderson's The Master, as well as two of Spike Lee's films.

And on a side note, in my personal opinion the two best male acting performances of the year weren't even nominated (Ethan Hawke in First Reformed and Joaquin Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here).

Thanks for the info, Lawrence. But Mr. Malek's resume doesn't cut any ice with me. I've barely heard of most of those films and shows he was in that you listed. And I know this is changing, and this must show my age I guess - as well as my mindset - but I don't get Netflix or any other "streaming" entertainment service like that, and so all those shows people are always talking about don't mean anything to me. I've never heard of "Mr. Robot".

(By the way, some of the best of those long television series, like Mad Men or The Sopranos or Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, they're available on DVD, which is how I've seen some of them. Just in case you were wondering.)

I agree that it was a shame Ethan Hawke and First Reformed  was snubbed. Don't know why that would be. I have not as yet seen it,although I want to, but I've heard that film was very good.

12 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Thanks for the info, Lawrence. But Mr. Malek's resume doesn't cut any ice with me. I've barely heard of most of those films and shows he was in that you listed. And I know this is changing, and this must show my age I guess - as well as my mindset - but I don't get Netflix or any other "streaming" entertainment service like that, and so all those shows people are always talking about don't mean anything to me. I've never heard of "Mr. Robot".

(By the way, some of the best of those long television series, like Mad Men or The Sopranos or Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, they're available on DVD, which is how I've seen some of them. Just in case you were wondering.)

I agree that it was a shame Ethan Hawke and First Reformed  was snubbed. Don't know why that would be. I have not as yet seen it,although I want to, but I've heard that film was very good.

I'm not sure why you brought up "streaming entertainment". I don't think anything I listed is a streaming-exclusive show or movie. Mr. Robot is/was on the USA cable network. I've never seen it, either, but I've heard about it for several years since, as I mentioned, it has been a critical darling. I only listed his works since you claimed to be unaware of him. 

As for being aware of DVDs, just ask the several hundred that I have on my shelves. You seem to be implying that I'm some sort of streaming-content advocate. I have only very recently started using streaming services, as I have only recently had the ability to view it on my television, rather than on a PC or phone. I do not own a cell phone, I never have, nor would I be interested in watching anything on one if I did. I know that I've mentioned having seen something on Netflix once or twice, but I'm not a proponent of such over other things. But nor am I confused by, put-off by, or defensive against the technology. It's just another source for film and television, along with my cable TV, DVDs, Blu-rays and VHS tapes. 

I HAVE TO (oops, caps lock AGAIN!) be careful when discussing films I have not seen in entirety, only clips and/or parts of.

I watched a clip of BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY where THE BAND first meets with the RECORD A AND R PEOPLE, it's at an outdoor cafe.

The background- to me- seemed green screen as all-get out and the dialogue was, um, bad. Maybe it's better in the rest of the movie, but...(cringe.)

However, the dude they got to play BRIAN MAY is SPOT-ON CASTING. (Where THE HELL did they find another one?)

MALEK, in the little bit I saw, seemed fine, and he certainly seemed like FREDDY MERCURY, but OMG, THOSE FAKE TEETH!

They were HARD to get past.

Like, NICOLE KIDMAN'S NOSE IN THE HOURS is now the second most eye-roll inducing Oscar ploy in history before THOSE LUDICROUS FAKE TEETH.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I HAVE TO (oops, caps lock AGAIN!) be careful when discussing films I have not seen in entirety, only clips and/or parts of.

I watched a clip of BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY where THE BAND first meets with the RECORD A AND R PEOPLE, it's at an outdoor cafe.

The background- to me- seemed green screen as all-get out and the dialogue was, um, bad. Maybe it's better in the rest of the movie, but...(cringe.)

However, the dude they got to play BRIAN MAY is SPOT-ON CASTING. (Where THE HELL did they find another?)

MALEK, in the little bit I saw, seemed fine, and he certainly seemed like FREDDY MERCRY, but OMG, DEEM TEEFS!

They were HARD to get past.

Like NICOLE KIDMAN'S NOSE IN THE HOURS is now the second most eye-roll inducing Oscar ploy in history before DEM BIG FAKEASS TEEFS.

And yet they weren't as bad as Mercury's actual TEEFS.

1524002648230.jpg

you caught me before i edited! dang!

I changed the word, felt bad for using it, i'm stupid after a "three MARTINI" lunch!

(SINCERE) apologies to all!

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've read many complaints about Bohemian Rhapsody's editing, and how noticeably bad it is, and that scene you mention is the one usually cited. So OF COURSE it won for Best Editing. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I've read many complaints about Bohemian Rhapsody's editing, and how noticeably bad it is, and that scene you mention is the one usually cited. So OF COURSE it won for Best Editing. :lol:

YOU KNOW WHAT? I watched it exactly because it was cited as an example of how bad the editing (allegedly) was, and I didn't really notice any problems with the editing...but dialogue is usually what gets my attention anyhow