Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

As far as the technical awards, I think they should stay the same as the nominations. Editors vote for editing. What do actors know about editing? (anyone can vote in any category except for foreign films and documentaries/short subjects)

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 12:09 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's funny though, I was thinking how FREAKING EERIE it would be if Spike Lee loses to GREEN BOOK; 20 years later and it's almost literally DRIVING MISS FREAKIN DAISY ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!

ALTHOUGH- Forgive me, I like DRIVING MISS DAISY.

And it happened. And Julia Roberts (a nominee on that night back in 1989) was the presenter. Weird.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 11:59 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

...you know, I almost feel at this point that the worst thing that could happen would be for nothing to go wrong and there to be a routine, three-hour show capped off by GREEN BOOK winning Best Picture.

And Green Book won, and the ceremony was a little over 3 hours, and there no big gaffes, so you must have second sight when it comes to Oscar ceremonies.....

23 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

And Green Book won, and the ceremony was a little over 3 hours, and there no big gaffes, so you must have second sight when it comes to Oscar ceremonies.....

Nah. I had my money in Yalitza.

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also note here that I LOVED what Yalitza Aparicio(sp?) wore. 

Hair and make up we’re perfection too

Here she is - this pic even has two angles. I agree, I thought she looked great. I like that mint green colour she wore, and the dress was understated without being boring.

Image result for yalitza aparicio oscar

Sorry this pic is so huge, it's hard to find small images on the net.

So, Lorna...have you seen Roma?

also- sorry to press this, but I'm genuinely interested in what you thought of The Favourite, since it sounds as though you've seen it. Any comments on that? or Roma?

• Like 1

Seven of the last nine Best Actor winners have been for playing a real person.

• Colin Firth as King George VI in The King's Speech
  • Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln
  • Matthew McConaughey as Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club
  • Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything
  • Leonardo DiCaprio as Hugh Glass in The Revenant
  • Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour
  • Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody

The two fictional ones were

• Jean Dujardin in The Artist
  • Casey Affleck in Manchester By the Sea 

Compare that to the 1990's, when only one Best Actor win was for a real person (Geoffrey Rush as David Helfgott in Shine).

Edit: Make that two in the 90's...I forgot about Jeremy Irons as Claus von Bulow in Reversal of Fortune.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kingrat said:

Sure, Eric, I can explain why Tom Jones won. 1) 1963 was not a very good year for Hollywood films. We'd probably be having this discussion about any other film that won. This is the year where Danny Peary of Alternate Oscars decided that NO film should have won. 2) Hollywood films were becoming more open to portrayals of sexuality, and TJ was a forerunner in this respect. 3) All the jump cuts and camera antics that look old hat to you (and to me as well) were new and exciting in 1963. Tom Jones was cutting edge in both subject matter and technique. 4) Tom Jones is actually a reasonably faithful adaptation of Henry Fielding's novel, and so it had literary prestige as well. 5) Even today most people would find it entertaining, provided they can stomach all the techniques that looked so fresh in 1963 and look so dated now.

Agree.

5 hours ago, kingrat said:

As I've said on too many occasions, my most detested Oscar winners are Going My Way and Braveheart

I don't detest them I just don't like them either.

Didn't think much of Dances With Wolves either, too much peace love, dove, kumbaya view of the frontier.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

here is a link to an article that has the 1;22 second long clip with the alleged "bad editing" in BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/bohemian-rhapsody-best-editing/

anyone who wants to watch it and tell me why it's so bad, feel free.

(the dialogue tho, is WOOF!)

Lorna, I totally agree with you that the dialogue is bad, like the first draft of an amateur's first screenplay. Let's make necessary plot points and not try to sound like actual conversation. The editing compounds the felony. Actually, it may be worse than the dialogue. The scene has no rhythm, which is what good editing usually provides. The scene is chopped to shreds, switching from person to person for no apparent reason. We can't see the whole scene as it develops because everything's so choppy. We can't follow the viewpoint of any particular character or set of characters for the same reason. The editor may have thought that hyperactive cutting would disguise the banality of the dialogue. I can't tell if there was once a master shot of the whole scene, which is how old-school Hollywood directors would have covered themselves, or if the director took lots of fragmentary shots to be pieced together in the editing room.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Didn't think much of Dances With Wolves either, too much peace love, dove, kumbaya view of the frontier.

Agree. Also Kevin Costner changed the tribe from Commanche to Sioux.

22 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Agree.

I don't detest them I just don't like them either.

GOD YES!

Give me that guy getting kicked to death in GOODFELLAS any day.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Seven of the last nine Best Actor winners have been for playing a real person.

• Colin Firth as King George VI in The King's Speech
  • Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln
  • Matthew McConaughey as Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club
  • Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything
  • Leonardo DiCaprio as Hugh Glass in The Revenant
  • Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour
  • Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody

The two fictional ones were

• Jean Dujardin in The Artist
  • Casey Affleck in Manchester By the Sea 

Compare that to the 1990's, when only one Best Actor win was for a real person (Geoffrey Rush as David Helfgott in Shine).

I hadnt realized there were so many. Guess that's the way to go to get an Oscar (male actors at least).

via jakeem...

" 3. A "Driving Miss Daisy" flashback?: The irrepressible and opinionated Lee (he's the one dressed in purple) left his seat and tried to walk out of the Dolby Theater when "Green Book" was announced as the Best Picture of 2018. "I'm snakebit," he later told reporters. "I mean, every time someone's driving somebody, I lose."

=================================================

Keith BoykinVerified account @keithboykin 19h19 hours ago

No disrespect to Green Book at the #OscarsOscars_2019.png⁠⁠, but many of us in the black community would like to see greater recognition for movies about the black experience and

not just for movies that make the black experience comfortable for white audiences.

========================================

-Seth Meyers' WHITE SAVIOR....... ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's possible that with the purge of some Academy voters and the addition of younger voters, the Oscars will be less likely to give career-reward-to-aging-stars awards like the one Geraldine Page received, to mention only one. Glenn Close also suffered from the limited exposure that The Wife received. In past years, films got re-released if they got nominated for major awards, and the movies took out newspaper ads reminding us of that. Is the advertising now on Internet only?

But enough thoughtful consideration! Which do you suppose was Glenn's reaction after the show:

1. "I'm so happy Olivia won. I thought she gave the best performance and absolutely deserved the award."

2. "You mean that Who-The-Bleep-Is-Hilary Swank has won TWO Oscars and I haven't won a single bleeping one???"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kingrat said:

"You mean that Who-The-Bleep-Is-Hilary Swank has won TWO Oscars and I haven't won a single bleeping one???"

I know that's what Annette Bening thinks, anyway.

• Haha 5

A question...maybe it is a stupid one. Why is it that Mahershala Ali was nominated for Best Supporting Actor instead of Best Actor in Green Book? It seems that Green Book has two male leads, and he is one of them. This is like James Stewart being nominated/winning Best Actor in 1940 for Philadelphia Story. It seems to me he was a supporting actor in that film, and Cary Grant was the lead actor, with Hepburn as the lead actress. 

Just now, calvinnme said:

A question...maybe it is a stupid one. Why is it that Mahershala Ali was nominated for Best Supporting Actor instead of Best Actor in Green Book? It seems that Green Book has two male leads, and he is one of them. This is like James Stewart being nominated/winning Best Actor in 1940 for Philadelphia Story. It seems to me he was a supporting actor in that film, and Cary Grant was the lead actor, with Hepburn as the lead actress. 

It was a strategic decision by the film's producers so as to not "split the vote" by having two people from the same film in the same category. The same thing was true of The Favourite

• Thanks 1

[all apologies for the navel-gazing thinkpiecey quality of what is to follow, i am just in that kind of mood today.]

(ps- ain't nobody says you got to read it)

someone PMed me to ask what I thought about the 2018 nominees and I brought up the fact that I only saw one film made in 2018, and it did not get any nominations.

(nor should it have.)

i brought up the fact that, since about 2008, I really mostly have not seen any modern movies AT ALL,- like, I've maybe seen 10 films made over the last 11 years**. 

and i say this not as a hipster badge of honor kind of thing, but because I- like many people- deal with mental illness, and as such, I have to be really careful about things that trigger depression- even things that to you may seem innocuous.

and I am just that way with modern movies, i can't help it. almost without fail they bring me down and I avoid them.

and on the flipside of that, I cannot begin to tell you HOW MUCH THERAPEUTIC VALUE films of the 30's and 40's give me, I turn on that world and I AM HOME.

Which brings me to why I just dislike February and oscar month so much, because it takes me out of my comfort zone and disrupts the flow of that one silly little innocuous thing that I, for the 11 other months of the year, am able to comfortably sidestep.

anyhoo.

that's all.

tmi, i know.

ps- also to be filed under FIRST WORLD "PROBLEMS", I know.

**- in entirety, that is. there have been some that I watched some amount of before I "peaced out."

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kingrat said:

It's possible that with the purge of some Academy voters and the addition of younger voters, the Oscars will be less likely to give career-reward-to-aging-stars awards like the one Geraldine Page received, to mention only one. Glenn Close also suffered from the limited exposure that The Wife received. In past years, films got re-released if they got nominated for major awards, and the movies took out newspaper ads reminding us of that. Is the advertising now on Internet only?

But enough thoughtful consideration! Which do you suppose was Glenn's reaction after the show:

1. "I'm so happy Olivia won. I thought she gave the best performance and absolutely deserved the award."

2. "You mean that Who-The-Bleep-Is-Hilary Swank has won TWO Oscars and I haven't won a single bleeping one???"

LOL. I'm sure the latter. To rub salt in the wound, Colman's role was really supporting. It was no larger than her 2 female co-stars. The Wife played here just briefly in its initial run, I didn't have time to see it. I dont think it was rebooked after the Oscar nomination either. Never saw any tv ads. That's not to say an art house release cant win, but maybe moving up Oscar night is not providing independent films enough time to promote their product.

Who saw Blue Skies anyway? I don't think that played here at all.

16 hours ago, calvinnme said:

The same could be said for Colman. The company campaigns for certain actors in certain acting slots (doesn't necessarily mean voters will follow that in their choices, but they usually do)

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

[all apologies for the navel-gazing thinkpiecey quality of what is to follow, i am just in that kind of mood today.]

(ps- ain't nobody says you got to read it)

someone PMed me to ask what I thought about the 2018 nominees and I brought up the fact that I only saw one film made in 2018, and it did not get any nominations.

(nor should it have.)

i brought up the fact that, since about 2008, I really mostly have not seen any modern movies AT ALL,- like, I've maybe seen 10 films made over the last 11 years**. 

and i say this not as a hipster badge of honor kind of thing, but because I- like many people- deal with mental illness, and as such, I have to be really careful about things that trigger depression- even things that to you may seem innocuous.

and I am just that way with modern movies, i can't help it. almost without fail they bring me down and I avoid them.

and on the flipside of that, I cannot begin to tell you HOW MUCH THERAPEUTIC VALUE films of the 30's and 40's give me, I turn on that world and I AM HOME.

Which brings me to why I just dislike February and oscar month so much, because it takes me out of my comfort zone and disrupts the flow of that one silly little innocuous thing that I, for the 11 other months of the year, am able to comfortably sidestep.

anyhoo.

that's all.

tmi, i know.

ps- also to be filed under FIRST WORLD "PROBLEMS", I know.

**- in entirety, that is. there have been some that I watched some amount of before I "peaced out."

I saw a handful of Oscar nominated films last year. (more than the previous year though!) It's mostly because almost all the noteworthy films are released in the cold, bad weather months and I hate going out anywhere (except to get food) as I don't like dealing with the cold. I didn't use to be like that, but I'm older now. Also, many of the independent films that I'm interested in seeing don't play here for very long, so there's a narrow window as to when I can see them.

• Thanks 1