Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

yes, climate change is a fact

This is how extreme weather events and climate change are connected-

".........In 2021, when an extreme event like the recent flash flooding in western Germany occurs, the question is “How much of the observed extreme intensity can be attributed to climate change?”

As is always the case in climate change, the answer to the question is always “It depends.” But on what? Is there any way to sort out the facts about both change and the rate of change?

It turns out that a scientifically rigorous answer to this question is “Yes.” Since responding to climate change is a risk management problem, the world has accepted that the key to organize our thoughts must focus on the two fundamental components of risk — likelihood and consequence or, in the vernacular, frequency and intensity. ........

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/564933-this-is-how-extreme-weather-events-and-climate-change-are

• Thanks 1

Climate

970d0616168a24e8b84a2e8b527655fb-YOYNM34PSNHCZDG6HQN3C22BZQ-600-0-70-8.jpg

(European Union, Copernicus Sentinel-2 data processed by DG DEFIS)

The Greenland ice sheet experienced a massive melting event last week

The melting event could have short-term and long-term implications for sea-level rise.

By Kasha Patel   Read more »

A critical ocean system may be heading for collapse due to climate change, study finds

By Sarah Kaplan   Read more »

Biden calls for half of new cars to be electric or plug-in hybrids by 2030

By Dino Grandoni and Brady Dennis   Read more »

• Sad 2
On 7/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, mr6666 said:

:huh:

"........A combination of extreme weather, climate change and environmental degradation have created the perfect storm – or rather, a series of eight cross-border sandstorms through March, April and May that have destroyed animal herds, exacerbated respiratory problems and cancelled flights in both Mongolia and China. The news video below captures the magnitude of this year's storms.......

The Gobi desert is also growing bigger. Desertification is creeping up into northern Mongolia at an average rate of 75 miles a year, according to Dulamsuren's institute.Part of the reason is climate change.

Temperatures in Mongolia have increased about 4 degrees Fahrenheit in the last 70 years, according to the Mongolian Ministry of Environment, about twice the rate of the recorded global average increase..........

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/05/30/1000530563/buried-alive-in-mongolias-worst-sandstorms-in-a-decade

Yes please repeat Trump’s stupidity that California is to blame for the fires because we don’t rake the forest floors.  Ignorant science-deniers are condemning the rest of the world! 

7 hours ago, Arturo said:

Yes please repeat Trump’s stupidity

solar-eclipse.jpg

Obviously an idiot who understands NOTHING of the physical world. Even his kid is smarter.

• Like 1

Apparently realtors are beginning to consider climate as a selling point in some areas.  Read where one couple that had lived in Texas for 30 years moved to Maine to escape the Texas climate.😀

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Apparently realtors are beginning to consider climate as a selling point in some areas. 

I couldn't add "like" or "sad" to your comment. 

Like the TX couple, we're trying to figure out where to buy a retirement cottage.

MrTiki wants to winter in North Carolina & stay here in upstate NY in summer. I want to stay here in winter & spend summer in Nova Scotia. 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I couldn't add "like" or "sad" to your comment. 

Like the TX couple, we're trying to figure out where to buy a retirement cottage.

MrTiki wants to winter in North Carolina & stay here in upstate NY in summer. I want to stay here in winter & spend summer in Nova Scotia. 🙄

Depending on where you might want to go in NC, might want to reach out to Vautrin.   He lives in Western NC where a lot of retirees have moved.

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

Apparently realtors are beginning to consider climate as a selling point in some areas.  Read where one couple that had lived in Texas for 30 years moved to Maine to escape the Texas climate.😀

Hasn't climate always been a selling point?   People have been moving to climates that suit their preference for ages.  Snowbirds like to escape to the south in the winter.   Some people go to the mountains in summer.  Others want to be on a beach or coastline.

The climate hasn't changed much here, certainly not in 30 years.   It's always hot here in the summer, and always has been.  The average temp has gone up by a degree in the last 30 years (which is huge from a climate perspective, but not really noticeable for human comfort).

The worst summer here in DFW was 1980, when we had over 42 days in a row over 100F, and 69 days that year over 100F.  Normally we have 20 days of 100F+ weather.

This year we're actually a bit cooler.    Our first 100 degree day was July 25, 3 weeks later than usual.

Texas' biggest problems are unbridled growth (just this week a new 11,000 home development was announced in Celina TX, which has already tripled in size in the last 10 years), and the weak state government's lack to adequately plan for it (in terms of resources like water and electricity).  They are finally building a new reservoir for the DFW area, after efforts to buy water from Oklahoma failed.  The last one was built 25 years ago.   But the DFW population ballooned from 3.5M to 8M in that timeframe.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, ElCid said:

Depending on where you might want to go in NC, might want to reach out to Vautrin.   He lives in Western NC where a lot of retirees have moved.

We won't be setting stakes in the Carolinas if I have anything to say about it. Love visiting the US south, but can't live there - need a killing frost winter climate-barely get that in PA anymore. My favorite parts of the US is New England & the PNW with Great Lakes peninsula a close third.

• Like 2
On 8/6/2021 at 1:52 PM, txfilmfan said:

Hasn't climate always been a selling point?   People have been moving to climates that suit their preference for ages.  Snowbirds like to escape to the south in the winter.   Some people go to the mountains in summer.  Others want to be on a beach or coastline.

The climate hasn't changed much here, certainly not in 30 years.   It's always hot here in the summer, and always has been.  The average temp has gone up by a degree in the last 30 years (which is huge from a climate perspective, but not really noticeable for human comfort).

The worst summer here in DFW was 1980, when we had over 42 days in a row over 100F, and 69 days that year over 100F.  Normally we have 20 days of 100F+ weather.

This year we're actually a bit cooler.    Our first 100 degree day was July 25, 3 weeks later than usual.

Texas' biggest problems are unbridled growth (just this week a new 11,000 home development was announced in Celina TX, which has already tripled in size in the last 10 years), and the weak state government's lack to adequately plan for it (in terms of resources like water and electricity).  They are finally building a new reservoir for the DFW area, after efforts to buy water from Oklahoma failed.  The last one was built 25 years ago.   But the DFW population ballooned from 3.5M to 8M in that timeframe.

While climate has always been a factor, it is more of one now.  Realtors are beginning to stress it and I'm sure communities and states are pushing it harder.  I think the old attitude of moving South or West for the climate has changed.  Around here we have increasing number of "half-backs."  People who moved from the North or Midwest to Florida, Gulf Coast and even S.C. coast are now moving into Upstate S.C. or Western N.C.

I have in same area of Upstate S.C. for 50 years.  The climate has definitely changed.  Much hotter and drier in the summer and this has been going on for many years.  We do a lot of flower gardening and so forth.  Things that grew easily couple of decades ago now struggle and often just die no matter how much you try to save them.  Definitely affected the type of grass you can grow - have had to completely replace my lawn with new grass.

As for water, it is going to get worse and worse.  No matter how big a reservoir they build, it may not be able to supply water for all the people and the activities they want.

• Thanks 1
On 8/7/2021 at 8:00 AM, TikiSoo said:

We won't be setting stakes in the Carolinas if I have anything to say about it. Love visiting the US south, but can't live there - need a killing frost winter climate-barely get that in PA anymore. My favorite parts of the US is New England & the PNW with Great Lakes peninsula a close third.

Personally I would avoid coastal S.C. totally.  I grew up and went to college there and then left and never regretted it.  I'm sure Wester N.C. has killing frosts since they are on the edge of the Great Smokey Mountains.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Jakeem for this.  I am sure some nutty man made climate deniers around here will still think this is some sort of worldwide conspiracy to make Al Gore wealthy.

NVnHvjJ7_bigger.jpg

BREAKING: Global warming is happening so fast that scientists now say we'll cross a crucial temperature threshold as early as 2030 — up to a decade sooner than previously thought, according to a sweeping new UN-sponsored climate report.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
53 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

:unsure:

Man has over extended that valued resource in his folly believing he could "green the desert" in the long term without researching the geological past.  There's only so much river.

Seven-Colorado-River-Basin-States.png

This sort of thing will drive food prices higher.

zCX0q9d5_x96.jpg