Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zasupittsfan

ZaSu Pitts Biography to be released this Fall!

I am also looking forward to this new book on ZaSu.

While we're waiting, I recommend her fans seek out her 1963 combination autobiography & candy cookbook "Candy Hits". ZaSu's own story, with many pictures, and candy recipes, too!

I have her book "Candy Hits". It is very good! I have found old New Yorks Times and LA Times articles useful, they have quite a lot of articles pertaining to ZaSu Pitts archived, and especially during the 1930's, it seems. It was $3.95 per article, but I found some interesting information. I have been one to buy old movie magazines on eBay as well. It is interesting to note that ZaSu had ambitions to be a private detective when she originally arrived to Hollywood in 1917. The selling community iOffer certainly has a lot of rare ZaSu titles on the DVD format! I do agree, though, a Star of the Month treatment would be a wonderful thing. Everyone write to TCM!

If we could have ZaSu as Star of the Month then maybe TCM would finally start showing her Hal Roach shorts with Thelma Todd again. And dare we even hope...maybe the extremely rare 1930's Universal features she made, many of which co-starred her with Slim Summerville.

I've seen one of the Universal films, entitled "Out All Night". An excellent comedy! I'd love to see the others, though, like "Love Birds" and so on...

"Out All Night" (1933) was the only one of the ZaSu Pitts & Slim Summerville Universal features that seems to have ever been on TV. That is possibly because Shirley Temple has a small role in it. Universal probably figures there's just no interest in the other films in the series so never made them available to TV or video.

The only other of the ZaSu & Slim Universal features I've seen is "Her First Mate" (1933). Why that one? Because it has a famous director. Universal made a nice 35mm print of it a few years ago and it was shown as part of a William Wyler series. It was great to see in 35 on the big screen! But so far I've not seen it anywhere else.

The other ZaSu & Slim Universals are hidden away in the vaults, apparenty. And we have to hope that if Universal ever decides to let us see them that they will look as good as "Her First Mate" did.

Hey Universal and TCM! We want to see them! These are the titles:

Unexpected Father (1932)

Her First Mate (1933)

Love, Honor and Oh, Baby! (1933)

They Just Had To Get Married (1933)

Love Birds (1934)

There is one other Universal with ZaSu & Slim: "The Little Accident" (1930). It's a rare one but I've seen it and Slim and ZaSu don't have scenes together.

I wish they'd release They Just Had To Get Married, since Preston Sturges worked on it as writer. He did a lot of uncredited and credited work in the early '30s, nearly all of it Universal-owned, even his first Paramount films (I mean The Big Pond and Fast And Loose). Good enough reason to run it.

Regarding this upcoming book on ZaSu, I wonder if the author mentions or even knows about the rare ZaSu Pitts short "Mother's Helper"?

Anyone know how to contact the author?