Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

S. S. Van Dine Mystery shorts

Another one of the subject shorts was shown tonight (before the start of Union Pacific). I stumbled into it with about five minutes of it left -- it was unlisted in the schedule. TCM has shown several more of these mystery shorts the same way -- unlisted in the schedule. Why aren?t they listed? I?ve now missed at least two of them because of this. I hope they?ll start listing them and, especially, repeat them -- soon.

Darn, missed that one! I've been catching most of them!

TCM, these are SO great, would you mind doing a block of them sometime, perhaps on a Saturday morning? That would be so awesome! I love seeing John Hamilton in that role, and of course, Donald Meek, who is the true solver of the mysteries! It's great to see John in a starring role though, and so young!

The Trans-Atlantic Mystery (1932) Played by Donald Meek

The Skull Murder Mystery (1932) Played by Donald Meek

The Week End Mystery (1932) Played by Donald Meek (as Doctor Crabtree)

The Crane Poison Case (1932) Played by Donald Meek

Murder in the Pullman (1932) Played by Donald Meek

The Symphony Murder Mystery (1932) Played by Donald Meek

The Studio Murder Mystery (1932) Played by Donald Meek

The Side Show Mystery (1932) Played by Donald Meek

The Wall Street Mystery (1931) Played by Donald Meek

The Cole Case (1931) Played by Donald Meek

The Clyde Mystery (1931) Played by Donald Meek

Thanks for the list Fred. By looking up John Hamilton, I've come up with a slightly different list:

The Trans-Atlantic Mystery (1932) .... Inspector Carr

The Skull Murder Mystery (1932) .... Inspector Carr

The Campus Mystery (1932) .... Insp. Carr

The Symphony Murder Mystery (1932) .... Insp. Carr

The Studio Murder Mystery (1932) .... Insp. Carr

The Week End Mystery (1932) .... Inspector Carr

The Side Show Mystery (1932) .... Insp. Carr

The Crane Poison Case (1932) .... Insp. Carr

Murder in the Pullman (1932) .... Inspector Carr

The Wall Street Mystery (1931) .... Insp. Carr

The Cole Case (1931) .... Insp. Carr

The Clyde Mystery (1931) .... Insp. Carr

THE CAMPUS MYSTERY is the one we don't each have, and while Donald Meek isn't in it, Harriet Hilliard (later Nelson) and Harry Davenport are. Most that I've found further details on show that they were filmed in Viatphone's Brooklyn studio.

I'm enjoying these and wish they would be announced properly on the schedule. What a kick to see "Perry White" with dark hair.

Message was edited by: clore

>>Lots of time after "Night of the Hunter" tonight with no short scheduled...tune in, maybe they'll run another Van Dine short unannounced.

Good call - they ran THE CLYDE MYSTERY right after NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.

EDITED TO ADD

After THE FIRST AUTO, they aired THE COLE CASE.

Message was edited by: clore

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> >>Lots of time after "Night of the Hunter" tonight with no short scheduled...tune in, maybe they'll run another Van Dine short unannounced.

>

>

> Good call - they ran THE CLYDE MYSTERY right after NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.

>

> EDITED TO ADD

> After THE FIRST AUTO, they aired THE COLE CASE.

>

> Message was edited by: clore

It's real fun to not catch these as they're unannounced. I'm getting a little tired of how sloppy the schedules are. They always list the dull travelogues, but anything mildly interesting? Forget it.

>>It's real fun to not catch these as they're unannounced. I'm getting a little tired of how sloppy the schedules are. They always list the dull travelogues, but anything mildly interesting? Forget it.

A few times recently I've tried to access the schedule only to get a message that the page no longer exists.

The only travelogue that I've watched all the way through was one recently aired one about Paris that was shot by Jack Cardiff of BLACK NARCISSUS fame.

I only catch what I do as I leave TCM on all day as electronic wallpaper. I'm usually in and out of the films doing chores, but I try to stick around to see what's on between films when there's a large gap.