Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shannon

Spielberg just case MARIA in his WEST SIDE STORY epic remake

(*-always will indicate an Oscar winner)   I'm positive by now at least some of my fellow TCM-ITES or do you prefer TCM-ERS?  At any rate saw this 3 days ago *Spielberg just cast MARIA-(another more then you sports fans can imagine, certainly had to take this with a grain of salt, of course to NATALIA NIKOLAEVNIA ZAKHERENKO AKA: NATALIE WOOD-(l938-l98l) & for his now in process of filming remake of the 10 time Oscar sweeping 1961 Musical epic *WEST SIDE STORY (UA)    PLEASE HELP, I MISSED THIS YOUNG GALS NAME AS MARIA?     GOOD LUCK *STEVEN!?

& just some more NATASHA trivia & how she was treated on that legendary musical (P.S. Any folks actually know just how tiny she was by the way? I'll give it to ya  barely 5'0 & approx. 100lbs & a shoe size of 5 & 1/2 & even more fun, my mum's hand prints & feet were identical to hers in frt of GRAUMAN'S CHINESE THEATRE & nobody believes me on this now growing fact based true story of *JOHN WAYNE? His actual foot/shoe size was just 5 & 1/2. Lots back this up & whenever I tried to tell someone, they said "get oughtta here" unquote Now, check out of Bacall & Maureen 0'Hara & many stories about the poor guy in constant pain soaking his feet in between takes. He was 6'4 & 1/2 & ranged from approx. 210 to 275 in "The Cowboys"

In short back to LOVE OF MY LIFE the original Maria of course. She has a terrible times & worked her butt off getting to try & keep up with the pro dancers. BUT, many cast members hated her little self? Russ Tamblyn most of all, not respecting her on several fronts, mostly because she wasn't a true dancer as he was, he never apologized? Then many had problems because she was Russian/Ukranian vs Puerto Rican  Back then studios used whats called (then anyway) Aztec Cream.

HOPE TO SEE YOUR OWN THOUGHTS    & EVERYTHING I POST HAS ALWAYS BEEN CRPOSSED REFERENCED 3 OR MORE TIMES FIRST

THANK YOU

I don't see why anyone would have objected to Wood being Russian/Ukranian, as many of the Puerto Ricans in the original movie WEREN'T also( George Chakiris was Greek).  And too, many actors and actresses over the years played roles of characters from may different ethnicity's than their own( like the many non-Asians playing CHARLIE CHAN, or my wife's favorite...the Jewish ELI WALLACH as a Mexican bandito!  ;) )  Wood not being a dancer might have been the only real objection in this case.   But they worked around it nicely, I thought.

Sepiatone

23 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Wood not being a dancer might have been the only real objection in this case. 

...Or a singer. ;)

• Like 1

I like Natalie Wood and I thought she was fine in West Side Story... my issue with this movie was Marni Nixon's dubbing.  Her voice just does not match Wood's voice.  It's very jarring. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sagebrush said:

...Or a singer. ;)

True that too, but then, the same objection would have been made about BEYMER, TAMBLYN and CHAKIRIS as well, don'tcha think? (or.... DON'T you?  ;)  )

Sepiatone

On 1/20/2019 at 2:04 AM, shannon said:

She has a terrible times & worked her butt off getting to try & keep up with the pro dancers. BUT, many cast members hated her little self? Russ Tamblyn most of all, not respecting her on several fronts, mostly because she wasn't a true dancer as he was, he never apologized?

I have it on good authority that Russ was not ticked at Natalie because she was not a dancer, but was having a bad day since he'd just seen his ex-wife, Venetia with her new hubby, the famous rock star and that made Russ very impolite to everyone on the set, since the rock star even had better hair than Russ, besides being able to sing too.

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

True that too, but then, the same objection would have been made about BEYMER, TAMBLYN and CHAKIRIS as well, don'tcha think? (or.... DON'T you?  ;)  )

Sepiatone

I think Chakiris didn't have a dubber, but he only had one song to be a part of, and he kind of talk-sang.

I had no idea about Tamblyn, though. All these years I thought he was a singer as well as dancer/acrobat!