Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GordonCole

Movies that won't be shown on TCM

One might think that if they could show Querelle, as they did last night, they could show more provocative films, even if ones with no or limited nudity.  I am surprised that they've never shown Blade Runner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, Hibi said:

Any Paramount pre-codes.

Hot Saturday doesn't count?

9 hours ago, GordonCole said:

I'll swear I've seen The Five Pennies on TCM way back in time, but maybe I'm hallucinating. Or I've just got a noseful of nickels...

MovieCollector's list doesn't have it.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, skimpole said:

One might think that if they could show Querelle, as they did last night, they could show more provocative films, even if ones with no or limited nudity.  I am surprised that they've never shown Blade Runner. 

Maybe it's cuz like it's this major big-**** huge movie and TCM doesn't have the money to rent it.  So they get Logan's Run (1976).

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

On 1/28/2019 at 8:04 PM, slaytonf said:

Maybe it's cuz like it's this major big-**** huge movie and TCM doesn't have the money to rent it.  So they get Logan's Run (1976).

They've shown Gandhi and other post 1982 oscar winners.  And it's not as if the movie was such a big hit that they could make a special deal with another network and ignore TCM altogether.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited Quote for Language

19 hours ago, GordonCole said:

I'll swear I've seen The Five Pennies on TCM way back in time, but maybe I'm hallucinating. Or I've just got a noseful of nickels...

Heh!  Or maybe an EARFUL of NICHOLS!  :D

Sepiatone

I'm kinda surprised they show 'Charley Varrick' with the hit-man character (played by Joe Don Baker) exhibiting virulent racism and misogyny.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, Hibi said:

Any Paramount pre-codes. And a select few after that (Bing and Bob etc.). Most Universal films, except some of the horror ones....

I wonder where all the Backlot fees are going? Executive salaries? Sure not going into TCM premieres!

I think they did show some Mae West ones not too long ago, so there are those too.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:40 PM, midnight08 said:

Add to this any Fox pre codes. Actually just about all Fox (pre 20th Century Fox) films. Rarely, maybe one may be shown. I can't even remember (and I'm been watching for ages) the last time TCM has shown a Fox film as a TCM premiere.

The Street Angel was scheduled once but it wasn't shown because of rights issues.

Street_Angel_(1928_movie_poster).jpg

Street Angel has been shown a couple times. I still have the recording from one of the times.

"Street Angel" is scheduled to run on TCM three days from now, on Feb. 1 as part of "31 Days of Oscar".

Read a Slate interview last year in which whoever runs TCM these days said they wouldn't ever run "The Birth of a Nation" again.

Gummo

For Lawrence's sake, I won't post the spaghetti scene.

Werner Herzog: What I like about Gummo are the details that one might not notice at first. There's the scene where the kid in the bathtub drops his chocolate bar into the dirty water and just behind him there's a piece of fried bacon stuck to the wall with Scotch tape. This is the entertainment of the future.

I don't know about "never", but less likely.

Here are a couple German movies I watched on Youtube that didn't have English subtitles.

Gloria (1931)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021914/?ref_=ttmi_tt

A small-time movie with the two leads from Metropolis, Gustav Fröhlich and Brigitte Helm (Freder and Maria).  Another chance to see them together, but in very different characters.  She is even named Maria here.  Has-been flyer is now just delivering air mail in his plane named Gloria.  Wife doesn't even want him doing that.  Another flyer in the fold is a test pilot/exhibitor.  There is some romantic tension between the three of them.  Husband decides to fly overseas to America for the adventure, but runs into engine problems.

Flug in Gefahr (1964)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058107/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This is a German version of Zero Hour, it has been said Airplane made specific references to this movie too.

A few months ago, I was excited when they had listed on the monthly schedule the hilarious 1977 documentary "Gizmo!" using genuine footage from the thirties and forties of odd inventions that were glorious failures. I had taken off and even recommended the film which I hadn't seen for about thirty years, only to be disappointed when they replaced it with another documentary, "For All Mankind"; a fine doc but not as big a deal. They didn't even inform Cablevision to update the onscreen listings, or the TCM's own schedule page. I hope they clarify the rights on that one and show it eventually.

Other notable films that have never made it to TCM: "The Towering Inferno"; "7 Women From Hell"; "Don't Open the Window" (aka "Breakfast at Manchester Morgue"); "Baron Blood" (much better with the eerie Les Baxter music score added upon the film's arrival in the US rather than the Felliniesque silly Italian original score); the 80s Video Yesteryear version of "Battleship Potemkin" rather than the "authentic" restoration (of course I appreciate such restoration work, but somebody please back me up that that public domain version score which can't be found now was great, as I can't accept any other musical accompaniment to the action in the film having experienced it, so please give it a chance); and the Beatles films "Help!", "Yellow Submarine" and "Let It Be" which would make for a great theme of the night after the oft-shown "A Hard Day's Night"!

Glad about the monthly Disney night hosted by Leonard Maltin, but I wish they would more regularly unlock the Disney TV vault of all those "Wonderful World of Color" specials such as "The Young Loner," "Way Down Cellar" and "Bristle Face" which have been unseen for decades. TCM did show some such specials a few years back, such as "Sammy the Way-Out Seal" with a young Bill Mumy, "Rascal" with his "Lost in Space" co-star Marta Kristen, and "For the Love of Willadean"; there are dozens of films in that catalogue that have been needlessly collecting dust that I think would be among the most appreciated releases of unavailable viewing at this time. It's not like Disney is holding onto them waiting for the demand to grow. They are a step away from being totally forgotten.

And how about some that are really forgotten, perhaps some of them lost by now? I'm talking about the TV movies of the seventies that don't get shown or released anywhere, except some faded copies fans themselves recorded on Beta in the eighties and have transferred over and over to the point of unwatchability. Karen Valentine in "The Girl Who Came Gift-Wrapped"; Barbara Feldon and Larry Hagman in "Getting Away From It All"; the all-star 1971 "Vanished!"; and John Ritter and Carrie Fisher in "Leave Yesterday Behind" among others. Carrie also did a TV version of "Come Back, Little Sheba" with Laurence Olivier and Joanne Woodward, which would be a great companion piece with the Lancaster/Booth theatrical version; and if you do TV versus film versions, how about the original TV versions of Rod Serling's "Patterns" (heaps better than the Van Heflin theatrical film) and "Requiem for a Heavyweight"; plus Rod's "The Comedian" with Mickey Rooney which had no big-screen version; and the original live-TV version of "Twelve Angry Men"... surely these things have a justifiable place in recognizing the history of classic film, regardless of their small-screen origins.

Thanks for starting this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Defenestrator said:

"Don't Open the Window" (aka "Breakfast at Manchester Morgue")

That one has been released on disc as both Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. I also like it quite a bit, and recommend it to horror fans.

1 hour ago, Defenestrator said:

"The Towering Inferno"

The Towering Inferno (1974) has been shown once.  I think for Paul Newman's turn as SOTM.  It's subsequent absence has not seriously degraded the TCM experience.

1 hour ago, Defenestrator said:

I'm talking about the TV movies of the seventies that don't get shown or released anywhere

About once a year a TV movie thread pops up, and everybody gets to hime in with their favorites.  You might be able to find one or two.  But don't use TCM's search function.  Use a browser.  Type in something like:  TV movie TCM general discussions.

"Gung Ho" (1986) - Really politically incorrect film that wasn't so when it was made. A Japanese car company buys up a shuttered American car factory in a town where it was the major source of employment. There is friction because of the numerous cultural/work culture differences between the Japanese management and the American workers. The reason it won't be shown? The Americans use slurs to refer to their Japanese bosses such as "rice a roni". When Michael Keaton - promoted as a kind of referee between workers and management - goes up to see the boss he refers to his Japanese secretary as "sugar puss".  He isn't flirting, but that still would never make the grade in an American film today. George Wendt's character gets drunk and basically bullies and harasses the big boss' wife in a supermarket. Not on DVD.

Green Card (1990) A New York woman wants to rent an exclusive garden apartment, but can't rent it unless she is married. A Frenchman can't stay in the United States any longer unless he gets married. So, these two solve each other's problems. But then the immigration folks come looking for the French guy and he doesn't live at the apartment, so the strangers are forced to live together until the heat is off.  It's a kind of beauty and the beast tale. It has been awhile since I've seen it, and it has not been on cable and never been on DVD. I can only figure it is because it makes illegal immigration look - well - illegal! When it was released it was pretty popular - definitely not a Howard the Duck - and it was nominated for several awards and I believe it won at least one Oscar. Yet it has vanished from sight.

NOTE: Green Card has shown on TCM before - In 2002 and 2005, I believe as part of the 31 Days of Oscar.

Have we all gotten just too darned sensitive???

Young Poisoner's Handbook (1995) - Based on the true story of a man who, as a teen, murders his stepmom with a rare poison, is caught, and gets committed. He manipulates one of the psychiatrists there into believing he is cured and he is released. I think that the poisoner halfway believes he is cured too. A misunderstanding causes his family to eject him - his sister believes he is trying to poison her baby, but he is not. He gets a job in a factory, seems to be doing OK, but when pressures arise he starts his poisoning on a grand scale, charting his progress by the illnesses and deaths of the employees. He is caught, and the film is basically him writing his memoirs in custody before he takes a final dose of poison he has reserved for himself.

This was on DVD, but has never been on TCM. The DVD is out of print probably because teens are seen as dangerous since Columbine and apt to do some copycatting. The film is set in England, that is why the authorities would even entertain the thought of releasing a murderer in the first place. In the US he'd be in jail probably for the rest of his life, though the Supreme Court has said that you can't give teens even life sentences now. So Malvo of the 2002 DC snipers will be walking among us again at some point probably, hopefully as a very old man. Oh dear, I've wandered into "Off Topic" territory it seems.

I dunno....

The fear of "copycatting" would have seen many more movies taken "out of print" as far as DVDs and earlier VHS formats.  I'd say(in this case) that it's MUCH easier to obtain a gun rather than get hold of a "rare" poison and administer it in a way that detection and capture is difficult.  

Now, I've never seen or heard of the film you describe, but it does sound a bit interesting.... so I'd be curious of a print being available....  ;)

Sepiatone

14 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Many of us would even go for a break-even point.

So who stars in A Break-Even Point, MCOH?

Don't think I've ever seen that one before.

That's not that flick that stars John Garfield and where he owns that boat and....

(...oh, wait...nope, that's not it, huh) 

;)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

So who stars in A Break-Even Point, MCOH?

Don't think I've ever seen that one before.

That's not that flick that stars John Garfield and where he owns that boat and....

(...oh, wait...nope, that's not it, huh) 

;)

:wacko:

Maybe they got mixed up with that PATRICK SWAYZE/KEANU REEVES flick?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 5:01 PM, Defenestrator said:

Glad about the monthly Disney night hosted by Leonard Maltin, but I wish they would more regularly unlock the Disney TV vault of all those "Wonderful World of Color" specials such as "The Young Loner," "Way Down Cellar" and "Bristle Face" which have been unseen for decades. TCM did show some such specials a few years back, such as "Sammy the Way-Out Seal" with a young Bill Mumy, "Rascal" with his "Lost in Space" co-star Marta Kristen, and "For the Love of Willadean"; there are dozens of films in that catalogue that have been needlessly collecting dust that I think would be among the most appreciated releases of unavailable viewing at this time. It's not like Disney is holding onto them waiting for the demand to grow. They are a step away from being totally forgotten.

It will be interesting to see if Disney opens up some of their back catalog when they start their streaming service (supposed to be by the end of this year).  Of course, it will be another monthly bill for access.

There's also the question of what becomes of the Disney series on TCM once their service is up and running.

• Like 1