Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the prisoner of second avenue

NipkowDisc

on last nite at ten. always watch it even though not quite as funny as the out-of-towners. I had mentioned before in another thread that when mel enters the building where he works directly in front of him is this young babe with red hair and a skimpy green halter top...

but I just wanna say that years ago when this movie was syndicated nationally the station in my area would show a print with some of the dialogue replaced with dubbing. like when mel comes home to be informed by edna they they've been robbed. in the dubbed version he rushes out on to his porch and yells "it's a rip-off!!!" in the tcm print it's "you dirty rotten ****!!!

also when he's arguing with the guy in 15b above him, jacoby played by ed peck who for some reason has his lines dubbed. mel starts talking about his rear end and how that's all anyone respects. he then says "respect my **** and gets the water bucket emptied down on him.

well, I'm sorry but the dubbed dialogue from the older print sounds much, much funnier with "respect my can!"

:D

Image result for jack lemmon respect my ass!

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Like 1

Script is available online free. It amuses even as lines on the page.

There's one scene in the flick which for me, is hold-my-ribcage funny, the bit where Lemmon is moping along the sidewalk (in a state of near clinical depression, raking the sidewalk with his eyes) and a fellow pedestrian accidentally bumps into him. Lemmon barely registers this until a block later when it suddenly strikes him that he can't find his wallet when he pats his pockets.

He spins on one heel and stares down the street at the pickpocket with mounting anger; that distant figure coincidentally having the misfortune just then to have glanced back at Lemmon at that very moment, thus looking extremely guilty. Lemmon bursts into a pell-mell pursuit after him. Runs him down the street. Blocks later, he finally leaps off a raised flowerbed and downs the guy with a flying tackle, and pins him to the sidewalk.

He pats him down and snatches his wallet back. Snarling a warning at him. I kinda think the pickpocket is a young Sly Stallone.

Anyway Lemmon strides off with hugely uplifted spirits until he gets home and finds his own wallet still on his bureau. He left that morning without it.

This is actually a very old vaudeville gag that Simon borrowed but Lemmon makes it sing. What a massive talent Lemmon was. The guts to take scenes like that.

• Like 1

it has finally taken years for me to figure how nutty mel's snow shovel idea is. he's gonna wait for the winter snow and at approximately six on the dot he's gonna drop a sheetful of snow off his porch to coincide with jacoby coming home from work?

he's nuts!

• Like 1

I think mixing in some serious drama in spots hurts this movie. it shoulda been a comedy straight throughout.

and then we get this awkward punchline with edna mimicking mel at the end. I turn it off rather than sit through that.

and what are mel and edna struggling in nyc in a cramped 14th floor apartment when his brother and wife are living in a big country home like that?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 11:27 PM, rayban said:

Jack Lemmon's performance cuts very deeply into the supposedly comic material.

And Anne Bancroft's performance bubbles over with suppressed anger

Yes, Anne was very good at suppressed rage and anger bubbling over, particularly in some of her later work; I'm thinking of Garbo Talks, 'night Mother and How to Make an American Quilt.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings