Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lillian Gish birthday tribute (10/14)

I've had mine for a number of years, it's one of those large coffee table sized books.

Funny thing about my copy: I store my Star Stamps in this book. :) I have a book of stamps each for Cary Grant, Greta Garbo, Bette Davis, Hattie McDaniel and a bunch of other stars. If anyone breaks into my house and steals my book they'll take off with much more than nice pictures of Lillian and Dorothy. ;)

I've never heard of Star Stamps which must be beautiful framable mini portraits or small enough for a locket, lovely collectibles I'll bet.

Actually Jill, your website is an extraordinary magnum opus visually and literally and was one of the first sites dedicated to silent film and the destination, in fact, for fans of the genre, if I'm not mistaken and I'm grateful for people like you who started these conversations, if you know what I mean. Your colorized pictures alone are exquisite and worthy of a published collection, methinks! *:)* Now, you know the paper quality in Lillian's book isn't the best, definitely not acid free so a bio of the Gish sisters by Jeffrey Vance or another historian/archivist would be most welcome.

Message was edited by: Kate whose login is bumped so often and posting is such a challenge that I'm starting to feel like Charlie Chaplin on the boat of no return in 1952, persona non grata, oh well...

Yes, that seems to be true for most countries, too bad really in our protectionist world and the Canadian government is being very short sighted with new visa requirements for Mexican and Czech Republic travelers- yet another disturbance in the force for a global village.

I tried in vain to find an image of the Mary Pickford stamp so I'll have to settle for this, sorry...

stamp1.jpg

But there's no shortage of Lillian Gish images for a stamp. My favourite pic is at the bottom of pg. 283 in the book but this one is also lovely:

P1990-45-436_s.jpg

Well, Pickford called the United States home and was, in fact, a Republican. I wish we could claim Renee Adoree as our native daughter! Pierre Berton wrote an interesting book _Hollywood?s Canada: The Americanization of Our National Image_ with a few rare pics of Renee in stereotypical roles. However, Lillian and Mary were lifelong friends and just two of the very few people to attend D.W. Griffith's funeral.

Maybe it's more accurate to say she was Canadian-born? I think a lot of folks from other countries, Canada included, spend most of their lives in the U.S. and regardless of whether or not they become naturalized citizens, come to think and act more like Americans than like people from their native countries.

Lillian Gish was very disappointed with *One Romantic Night,* the film that pretty much ended her starring career in films. Despite a good cast, it's just rather slow. After this talkie debut, Gish would co-star with Roland Young in a little B film, *His Double Life.* Gish wouldn't make another film until 1942.

All Lillian's beautiful mystery from the silent film era was gone in One Romantic Night. Amazing how talking can make a film so pedestrian and boring. She had zilch chemistry with Rod La Rocque too. Oh well, it's still Lillian and still worthwhile to watch, just don't expect a masterpiece.

"His Double Life" (1933) is a personal favorite of mine. A very nice story nicely done by a good cast, especially the two stars, Lillian Gish and Roland Young.

Although distributed by Paramount it was not produced or copyrighted by them, and has been public domain for years.

Recommended for Lillian Gish's fans.

Anyone else seen it? What do you think of it?

Yes it's a perfectly decent little film but it's dispiriting to see the great Gish as a leading lady and not a star.

Rod LaRocque was pretty awful in *One Romantic Night,* as I remember it. Conrad Nagel was always a bore (my opinion), and even Marie Dressler couldn't pump any life into this turkey. Gish herself knew it was a bomb but couldn't do anything about it. So yes, it's fascinating to watch.

• 2 months later...