Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good career moves

GordonCole

It's been said that a cynic remarked after the death of Elvis Presley that his demise was a "good career move". The derivation of that remark has never been proven totally and it's possible it was said earlier by Gore Vidal about another personality in a slightly altered form but, good career moves do keep a performer forefront in fame and employment.

For example, I will use Jack Lemmon as a prototype. Now whether he planned this or not, the fact that in the early days of his movie career, when up and coming, energetic young men were prized in films with an upbeat message, Jack was your go-to guy. In films like My Sister Eileen, Phfffft [add some f's if there are not enuf] and Mr. Roberts, Jack is the young and appealing upstart who is moving in his career like a rocket, with charm to spare.

As we begin to get into the more somber period of the 1960's with race riots, Vietnam issues, the farming out of senior employees to save money, Jack being of the right age to portray a more harried and put upon male character, who possibly going through a middle age crisis, was instrumental in bringing a picture of such a person to the screen in films like Save the Tiger, and Prisoner of Second Avenue and so on. And as he aged he also found even more mature renderings in films that were a further progression of this type of persona, hence his career went on, and on and on, in things like Glengarry Glen Ross and so on.

This is the way to keep vitally alive in films I believe. Never be stagnant as to your personal psyche on film.

There's an existing thread about him, but the late Leslie Nielsen gained a new lease on life thanks to the 1980 comedy spoof "Airplane!" He became the quintessential dramatic actor turned comedy king.

I still get a kick out of the intros and endings for "Police Squad!" -- the short-lived 1980s TV series in which Nielsen was first featured as Detective Frank Drebin. Fortunately, we saw more of Drebin in "The Naked Gun" movie series.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jakeem said:

I still get a kick out of the intros and endings for "Police Squad!"

Omigod, I cried laughing!

I was amazed to realize there were only 6 episodes of Police Squad! Each opening/closing were unique.

My favorites: the opening where the bubble car is "born" and the closing where the papers drop to the floor. Riot. And I think Nielsen's humor is definitely assisted by his leading man handsomeness.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Omigod, I cried laughing!

I was amazed to realize there were only 6 episodes of Police Squad! Each opening/closing were unique.

The show seemed to be cursed by bad luck. Critics said the show's lightning-fast humor made it too hard for viewers to watch.

Also, John Belushi had filmed a segment for the opening as one of the special guest victims. He died of an overdose on March 5, 1982 -- the day after "Police Squad" premiered on ABC. His segment was never used.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, jakeem said:

The show seemed to be cursed by bad luck. Critics said the show's lightning-fast humor made it too hard for viewers to watch.

Also, John Belushi had filmed a segment for the opening as one of the special guest victims. He died of an overdose on March 5, 1982 -- the day after "Police Squad" premiered on ABC. His segment was never used.

So in essence here jakeem, you're saying that overdosing on a speedball is NOT "a good career move" then???

What, STILL "too soon" for this one?!

(...man I tell ya...first all those Lincoln jokes nobody can use and now THIS one TOO???!!!)

• Haha 1

Like Neilsen did, WALTER MATTHEW too spent a decade of his earlier career taking mostly dramatic roles. Both good guys AND bad, but not comical caricatures.  I think THE FORTUNE COOKIE was his first "serious" comedy role( his turn as "Doc" in ENSIGN PULVER was more "lighthearted" than comic).

But too, that might be more of the move being made FOR him than Walter doing it of his own accord.  ;)

And DARG?  Some people are STILL getting some mileage out of the old "What kind of wood DON'T float?" gag. and the one about ROCK HUDSON losing his car insurance because he was REAR-ENDED too many times!  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Northern Ireland's Liam Neeson was a movie sex symbol adept at portraying historical figures, including World War II hero Oskar Schindler, the Irish revolutionary Michael Collins, the pioneer sex researcher Alfred Kinsey and the Scottish outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor.

But his role as former CIA Agent Bryan Mills in the blockbuster hit "Taken" (2008) turned him into a live-action hero when he was in his late 50s. And he's still doing action movies 11 years later. "Cold Pursuit" opens on Friday, February 8, 2019.

4 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Northern Ireland's Liam Neeson was a movie sex symbol adept at portraying historical figures, including World War II hero Oskar Schindler, the Irish revolutionary Michael Collins, the pioneer sex researcher Alfred Kinsey and the Scottish outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor.

But his role as former CIA Agent Bryan Mills in the blockbuster hit "Taken" (2008) turned him into a live-action hero when he was in his late 50s. 

Another good example here, jakeem.

However in Liam's case here, I've always felt what a shame it is that such a good actor as he is has seemed to have in essence "sold out" by making all of these action flicks one after another in recent years.

Yep, and I've felt this same way about little Tommy Cruises' career choices in recent years, also.

(...but yeah as they say, they're "laughing all the way to the bank" now days, huh)

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...but yeah as they say, they're "laughing all the way to the bank" now days, huh)

That's the way of the world. Remember, Denzel Washington had never done a sequel until "The Equalizer 2" was released last summer. It's earned almost $200 million worldwide. Needless to say, there have been discussions about a third movie.

Image result for denzel washington equalizer 2

13 minutes ago, jakeem said:

That's the way of the world. Remember, Denzel Washington had never done a sequel until "The Equalizer 2" was released last summer. It's earned almost $200 million worldwide. Needless to say, there have been discussions about a third movie.

Yep, you're right...unfortunately IMO.

Or in essence:

So, you say your movie career is a bit stagnant lately? Not getting those good scripts you once got? Is THAT what's troubling you, Bunkie? WELL then, JUST tell your agent you'll be HAPPY to grab a gun play the lead in that new action flick they're about to cast!

(...yep, THAT'LL get ya back into the public eye, alright)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings