Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

poltergeist was on too late last nite

NipkowDisc

2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

2 am in the morning! hey, even we deplorables need our beauty sleep. is it to much to expect tcm might show something like this at a decent primetime hour like eight, nine or ten?

then there would be no problem.

TCM did what you asked.   You live in the wrong time zone.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

2 am in the morning! hey, even we deplorables need our beauty sleep. is it to much to expect tcm might show something like this at a decent primetime hour like eight, nine or ten?

My question would be why you even care, Nip?

If you wanna see a "haunted house" flick, then why not view a vastly superior one that Robert Wise made back in '63.

Oh, that's right, sorry. The Haunting hasn't been colorized as of yet, huh.

LOL

(...well there IS that vastly inferior remake of it they did in color back in '99, I guess...wouldn't recommend that one though, and 'cause just like Poltergeist, they used WAY too much damn special effects in it, and which just suppresses the audience's own imagination as to the eerie goings-on taking place within said haunted houses)

34 minutes ago, Dargo said:

My question would be why you even care, Nip?

If you wanna see a "haunted house" flick, then why not view a vastly superior one that Robert Wise made back in '63.

Oh, that's right, sorry. The Haunting hasn't been colorized as of yet, huh.

LOL

(...well there IS that vastly inferior remake of it they did in color back in '99, I guess...wouldn't recommend that one though, and 'cause just like Poltergeist, they used WAY too much damn special effects in it, and which just suppresses the audience's own imagination as to the eerie goings-on taking place within said haunted houses)

the haunting is a film I would not like to see colorized because of the shadowy camerawork. I watch mainly because Julie harris' performance becomes a hoot.

2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

the haunting is a film I would not like to see colorized because of the shadowy camerawork. I watch mainly because Julie harris' performance becomes a hoot.

Good to know.

(...AND good to hear...err, I mean read, I guess) ;)

I have always believed that many movies should not be colorized where the B&W cinematography is part of the overall feel of the movie...

of course! that goes without being said.

:D

I like the early part of poltergeist but when they bring the fat dumpy little clairvoyant into the picture and we here the new age crap about the big bright light that's when the film starts to weaken itself as a supernatural thriller....plus the whole premise of the film is a rip-off of twilight zone ep 'little girl lost'.

I mean they shoulda thrown in more stuff like the spindly ectoplasmic spidery apparition that scares jobeth Williams in the hallway.

Hey Dargo,  I just saw this under another thread and I wonder if you go to this Sedona film festival:

N THE CONGRATS ALL AROUND DEPARTMENT: Media Whiz and former actress Merrie Spaeth, star of The World of Henry Orient and TCM Film Fest Guest in 2014,  was awarded a Top Women in PR award in New York City last Friday. In attendance was Director Alexa Foreman, Scandal: The Trial of Mary Astor, whose documentary is now going to screen at the Sedona International Film Festival this month....

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey Dargo,  I just saw this under another thread and I wonder if you go to this Sedona film festival:

N THE CONGRATS ALL AROUND DEPARTMENT: Media Whiz and former actress Merrie Spaeth, star of The World of Henry Orient and TCM Film Fest Guest in 2014,  was awarded a Top Women in PR award in New York City last Friday. In attendance was Director Alexa Foreman, Scandal: The Trial of Mary Astor, whose documentary is now going to screen at the Sedona International Film Festival this month....

rats!......

I've never been west of Pennsylvania.

:(

20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Not sure if I'll attend any of the films this year, James.

Do you know who the "honored guests" will be? That will sometimes sway my decision on this.

(...you know, like that year a certain ex-squeeze of Bill Holden's was a while back)  ;)

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

2 am in the morning! hey, even we deplorables need our beauty sleep. is it too much to expect tcm might show something like this at a decent primetime hour like eight, nine or ten?

You can't record it on your TV?

Nipper, you have a PC with internet and a TVSP that provides TCM, right?
So, if you want you can watch Poltergeist any time for the next seven days as it is available on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND!

BTW, THE HAUNTING still gives me the willies every time I watch it. For me one of the scariest movies ever!

• Like 1

To me, it's an example of just how uncanny Stephen Spielberg's career sense is. Guys like Steven King and Stephen Spielberg think very carefully about projects they put their name on; when they finally swing the bat they routinely produce grand-slam-homers. Its because they identify areas of storytelling that the rest of us blithely overlook. In today's over-saturated horror-market, what these big-names do is astounding in terms of 'cornering', 'locking down' or 'putting their stamp' on ideas. Practically patenting them. 'Indian tribe' is a longtime trope in supernatural fiction (another one is 'there's something in the water', another one is 'do you think its those strange saucers we saw?') but when Spielberg produced this picture he cemented this one under his aegis. Cunning devil. He made it extremely difficult for any other author or moviemaker to approach the idea ever again, in a fresh way. Same thing with 'Jaws'; or 'Alien'...the sharpest creative teams on the West Coast strain year-in and year-out to find these concepts and make them profitable for filmmakers.

• Like 1

Even if our generation no longer remembers what their parent's "VCR" was, or even that mystical "Tivo"...

How about on any of the DOZEN or so streaming sites now showing Poltergeist as public-domain 80's-MGM fodder?

(And the two crappy sequels, although Julian Beck was pretty creepy as the ghost-preacher in the second one, before they had to posthumously replace him in the cheap third movie.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings