Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Going Undercover" on July 13

Some really great crime movies coming up on July 13 - first up, two films starring Walter Pidgeon early in the morning:

*The Sellout* (1951)

A small-town newspaper editor risks everything to expose a corrupt sheriff.

Cast: Walter Pidgeon, John Hodiak, Audrey Totter, Paula Raymond Dir: Gerald Mayer BW-83 mins, TV-PG

*The Unknown Man* (1951)

A scrupulously honest lawyer discovers that the client he's gotten off was really guilty.

Cast: Walter Pidgeon, Ann Harding, Barry Sullivan, Keefe Brasselle Dir: Richard Thorpe BW-86 mins, TV-PG

Then, the prime time theme is "Going Undercover":

*Bullets Or Ballots* (1936)

A cop goes undercover to crack an influential crime ring.

Cast: Edward G. Robinson, Joan Blondell, Barton MacLane, Humphrey Bogart Dir: William Keighley BW-82 mins, TV-G

White Heat (1949)

A government agent infiltrates a gang run by a mother-fixated psychotic.

Cast: James Cagney, Virginia Mayo, Edmond O'Brien, Margaret Wycherly Dir: Raoul Walsh BW-114 mins, TV-PG

*The Undercover Man* (1949)

A treasury agent tries to convict a ruthless mobster of tax evasion.

Cast: Glenn Ford, Nina Foch, James Whitmore, Barry Kelley Dir: Joseph H. Lewis BW-84 mins, TV-PG

*The Mob* (1951)

A police detective fakes a suspension so he can go undercover.

Cast: Broderick Crawford, Betty Buehler, Richard Kiley, Otto Hulett Dir: Robert Parrish BW-86 mins, TV-14

*The Case Against Brooklyn* (1958)

A rookie cop takes on criminals who have the local government in their pocket.

Cast: Darren McGavin, Maggie Hayes, Warren Stevens, Peggy McCay Dir: Paul Wendkos BW-81 mins, TV-PG

*Bunco Squad* (1951)

Police try to get the goods on a phony seance racket.

Cast: Robert Sterling, Joan Dixon, Ricardo Cortez, Douglas Fowley Dir: Herbert I. Leeds BW-67 mins, TV-G

According to the TCM article about Bunco Squad,

*Bunco Squad* provided the final big-screen role for Marguerite Churchill, and her only role after having retired from the screen in 1936. She had been a leading lady of the 1930s, notably in pre-code melodramas like *Girl Without a Room* (1933) and *Quick Millions* (1931) opposite Spencer Tracy. She had also starred with John Wayne in *The Big Trail* (1930), and in two horror favorites, *Dracula?s Daughter* and *The Walking Dead* (both 1936).

• 4 weeks later...

The title may be inappropriate, but the film is quite good. Barry Kelley does a good job of stealing the film.

Speaking of Glenn Ford day, I'm kissing off watching IT STARTED WITH A KISS. This is a simply awful print lacking color and focus.

I'll come back to the schedule when the B&W stuff like FRAMED and CONVICTED appear. The latter is a decent remake of Hawks' THE CRIMINAL CODE while the former is a good-enough noir that also has the unsung Barry Sullivan in the cast.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> I'll come back to the schedule when the B&W stuff like FRAMED and CONVICTED appear. The latter is a decent remake of Hawks' THE CRIMINAL CODE while the former is a good-enough noir that also has the unsung Barry Sullivan in the cast.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Framed before, but not sure about Convicted. But they sound good for as Friday afternoon. :D