Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Philip Muldoon

All things Doris Day

On 2/9/2019 at 4:05 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

Very True. There just wouldn't be a story without Rex's deception.

What I regret is that there was never a "stalker" subplot with John Gavin. He could have given Rex a run for his money in the irresistible guy category.

I think John Gavin could have done a lot of roles that Rock Hudson was known for....!

True.

• Thanks 1

to my way of thinking, her best singing numbers are:

• Freddy, Get Ready
  • That's The Way He Does It
  • Sentimental Journey

John Gavin was a very handsome man and similar in looks to Rock, however the chemistry between Doris and Rock was proven in the 3 films they made together. Rock came across has having a wonderful sense of humor, Gavin struck me as a little stiff. Doris and Rock were great friends on and off the screen. Gordon MacRrae, James Garner, Rock and John Gavin and Howard Keel. all had that similar rugged, handsome looks that worked well with Doris. Gordon and Keel for musicals with Doris, Rock and Garner for comedy with Doris and possibly Gavin for drama like a Midnight Lace. For me, Rock Hudson and James Garner were perfect with Doris in her comedies and I wouldn't have changed anything. I just don't see John Gavin as effective in comedies. He was good in dramas. I thought he did a very good job in Back Street with Susan Hayward.

• Like 2

Not to disrespect funny and "ideal" Rock, but John Gavin had his own unique charm. Another wonderful thing is his voice.

I have just been reading the biography of Rock Hudson (ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS by Mark Griffin, 2018).

One interesting thing in the book---Douglas Sirk (who was one of the architects of Rock's stardom) said in person, Rock seemed handsome, but just that. You had to see him through the camera lens to get what made him "special".

• Like 1

Douglas Sirk and Nicholas Ray. Now those two'll raise anyone's blood sugar level.

To each his own. I'm not sure were "ideal" came from. I wrote he and James Garner were perfect in comedies with Doris.  Just can't see John Gavin having the same comic timing and chemistry that Rock had with Doris. I don't think Pillow Talk could have been any better with any other actor than Rock.

• Like 2

On one of the later seasons of her sitcom, Doris' love interest was played by Peter Lawford. And I thought they made an interesting pairing.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:01 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

To each his own. I'm not sure were "ideal" came from. I wrote he and James Garner were perfect in comedies with Doris.  Just can't see John Gavin having the same comic timing and chemistry that Rock had with Doris. I don't think Pillow Talk could have been any better with any other actor than Rock.

John Gavin was in Tammy Tell Me True (1961) with Sandra Dee. I think the comedy came more from the contrast between Gavin and Dee than it did from any actual comic chemistry they had. John Gavin was superb wallpaper for women's films and did excellent service for the likes of Lana Turner and Susan Hayward, but comedy wasn't really his lane.

I really like It Happened to Jane with Doris, Jack Lemmon and Ernie Kovacs. She came off really well as a small town gal who took on the big guys. In her more "sophisticated" comedies she was always a good girl who came from a small town (ie: Upper Sandusky, Ohio jokes in That Touch of Mink) but in both The Pajama Game and It Happened to Jane we got to see the real thing, the small town girl in her element and in both cases she really shone.

• Like 2

We show a Doris Day movie each season and they are wildly popular. She often responds with a postcard thanking us for keeping her career alive. This season it's ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS which I like for Jack Carson. Amazing she ever became a star considering how they diminish Doris Day to overly silly comedic relief in this one.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:16 AM, TikiSoo said:

We show a Doris Day movie each season and they are wildly popular. She often responds with a postcard thanking us for keeping her career alive. This season it's ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS which I like for Jack Carson. Amazing she ever became a star considering how they diminish Doris Day to overly silly comedic relief in this one.

You're right that the role was silly; it's probably a good example of her being the trouper she was and just doing what she was told, at least that early in her career. But as soon as she opened her mouth to sing, it was a whole other story.

• Like 1