Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

blood and black lace

watched most of it. what crud. Cameron Mitchell's voice is dubbed even. I just could not cotton to some masked psycho beating up some poor blonde then torturing her. nothing entertaining just nauseating. hate these lousy euro-trash attempts at copying Hitchcock or whoever they were trying to mimick. the color film quality stinks and the women are not that pretty especially on that grade of film. why does the one woman drag the disfigured blonde's corpse out of her car trunk than drag it upstairs? let the police do that or better yet her stupid butler. he wasn't even in the same league with fritz feld.

:D

36 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

watched most of it. what crud. Cameron Mitchell's voice is dubbed even. I just could not cotton to some masked psycho beating up some poor blonde then torturing her. nothing entertaining just nauseating. hate these lousy euro-trash attempts at copying Hitchcock or whoever they were trying to mimick. the color film quality stinks and the women are not that pretty especially on that grade of film. why does the one woman drag the disfigured blonde's corpse out of her car trunk than drag it upstairs? let the police do that or better yet her stupid butler. he wasn't even in the same league with fritz feld.

Ugh, disappointed to hear this.  I recorded a lot of the horror movies today while I was at work (this being one of them).  I might watch it tonight....maybe.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

watched most of it. what crud. Cameron Mitchell's voice is dubbed even. he wasn't even in the same league with fritz feld.

Hey, don't insult my favorite "crud".

Classic Mario Bava Giallo, with less zooms than usual. You may have missed Cameron's voice but don't tell me you missed his blonde hair dyed locks. Okay, he may not be able to make that pop in the mouth sound like Feld, but he was a great journeyman actor, NipkowDisc. For Bava fans who enjoy his usage of color in framing, this film is a knockout to view. I own it on dvd but watched the TCM version anyway.

Enjoyed your review though for its utter distaste!

• Like 1

I saw it at the theater a couple of times in the 60's - when it actually was titled 'Blood and Black Lace' rather than '6 Women for the Murderer' in Italian as with the TCM print.

It actually seemed pretty gloriously colorful on the big screen. I do remember thinking that it was a particularly sadistic movie back then - I guess I was around 15, and though I'd seen a lot of horror movies, this one did strike me as a real nasty in '64-'65.

23 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Hey, don't insult my favorite "crud".

Classic Mario Bava Giallo, with less zooms than usual. You may have missed Cameron's voice but don't tell me you missed his blonde hair dyed locks. Okay, he may not be able to make that pop in the mouth sound like Feld, but he was a great journeyman actor, NipkowDisc. For Bava fans who enjoy his usage of color in framing, this film is a knockout to view. I own it on dvd but watched the TCM version anyway.

Enjoyed your review though for its utter distaste!

I missed the start but that sure felt like one of Bava's pieces of crud. I figured he might be the director.

So I finally watched Blood and Black Lace.  I thought it was decent 5/10.    Not having seen hardly any of these Italian horror flicks I found it interesting and a nice precursor to some of the very early body count horror/slasher flicks.   

My wife was enthralled in this movie though and loved it...lol.   

On 1/31/2019 at 1:01 PM, darkblue said:

I saw it at the theater a couple of times in the 60's - when it actually was titled 'Blood and Black Lace' rather than '6 Women for the Murderer' in Italian as with the TCM print.

It actually seemed pretty gloriously colorful on the big screen. I do remember thinking that it was a particularly sadistic movie back then - I guess I was around 15, and though I'd seen a lot of horror movies, this one did strike me as a real nasty in '64-'65.

Speaking of Giallo, I remember being with some fellow basketball players in NY to see the NIT in the 1970's and while in Times Square we went to see Argento's, Four Flies on Grey Velvet. Now that was one crazy movie.

19 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

Speaking of Giallo, I remember being with some fellow basketball players in NY to see the NIT in the 1970's and while in Times Square we went to see Argento's, Four Flies on Grey Velvet. Now that was one crazy movie.

Yeah, those Italian Giallo directors are pretty Bizarro.

• Like 1

Blood and Black Lace started the giallo movie craze in Italy that lasted into the late-70s and was a major influence on Dario Argento. Argento made nothing but super violent gialli after his first success, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage with Tony Musante.

Edited by jameselliot
  • Like 2

Tony Musante was a superb actor.

Never really received his due. Like Robert Forster, he was one of the most under-appreciated actors of his generation. But at least Forster finally scored big with 'Jackie Brown' and has been prolific ever since. Not so for Musante.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 1:50 PM, darkblue said:

Tony Musante was a superb actor.

Never really received his due. Like Robert Forster, he was one of the most under-appreciated actors of his generation. But at least Forster finally scored big with 'Jackie Brown' and has been prolific ever since. Not so for Musante.

So was Tomas Milian who made it big in Italy with westerns and cop films, and came back to the States and did smaller roles. 

If the three main ingredients of Italian Giallo are "style, sex, and savagery," then a lot of that is owed to the early works of Mario Bava, who is the perceived "godfather" of Italian horror.  From "The Girl Who Knew Too Much" (1963) to "Kill Baby Kill" (1966), Bava helped create the template for the archetypal Giallo films of the 1970s, and none were more influential than "Blood and Black Lace" (1964) with its garish saturated colors, sleazy jazz score, ostentatious sets, and highly-stylized violence.  When I first saw it, I thought "how can something so exquisite and colorful be so brutal and salacious?" But, I guess the best way to describe it would be bourgeoisie high art contrasted with violence –– that is the Bava way. Although it is where several of the genre's conceits originated, "Blood and Black Lace," for all its praise, shamelessly cribs Arne Mattsson's "Mannequin in Red" (1958), a candy-coated Hitchcockian whodunnit, right down to the fashion house setting. It is not nearly as savage as Bava's film, but the influence is undeniable. 

My favorite Giallo film is Un Tranquillo Posto di Campagna. Such an eerie and beautiful film.

Also an extremely underrated score by Ennio Morricone. 

I really hope TCM schedules this one again. 

• Like 1

Agree about Musante. He was sharp! A real shame he didn't take off. Remember him best from a really harrowing flick, 'The Incident'. A must-see for many reasons. What a cast: Jan Sterling, Beau Bridges, Martin Sheen, Gary Merrill.

Easy to confuse him with Tony Lo Bianco I know, but Musante was his own man. Lo Bianco is doing off-Broadway theater these days and was recently married.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:15 PM, jameselliot said:

Blood and Black Lace started the giallo movie craze in Italy that lasted into the late-70s and was a major influence on Dario Argento. Argento made nothing but super violent gialli after his first success, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage with Tony Musante.

Actually, his previous film The Girl Who Knew Too Much was credited to be the first giallo film.  It is a much tamer film that suits those with a more delicate constitution like the OP better.

I commented on another thread that some of the giallo films would give TCM viewers heart attacks!

On 4/3/2019 at 7:04 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Remember him best from a really harrowing flick, 'The Incident'. A must-see for many reasons. What a cast: Jan Sterling, Beau Bridges, Martin Sheen, Gary Merrill.

I made a thread about "The Incident" and director Larry Peerce in Films And Filmmakers, if you want to dig it up.

I'd like to see that yes, thanks. An incredible movie that would never be made today. Land of Whitewash.