Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Constance Bennett

slaytonf

Always and actress on my list, her breezy sophistication and willowy figure graced a number of society/romance/dramas of the early to mid thirties--the best of them Lady With a Past (1932).  For all my admiration, I never abused myself in thinking she was any great actress beyond her metier, notwithstanding moments in Son of the Gods (1930), The Easiest Way (1931), or Outcast Lady (1934).  She was either untaxed in her roles, or when taxed--oh, I won't say anything.  

In any case, I watched a movie of hers called Paris Underground (1945), a quasi-true tale of an American in occupied WWII France who becomes instrumental in smuggling shot-down fliers out to safety.  I did it just on her name, not expecting to get all the way through it.  And I found a real prize of a performance.  Maybe she was helped by the script, and maybe by Gregory Ratoff, who directed.  But despite anything else, she delivered.  And now I'm glad to think much better of her as an actress.

Bytheway, she also produced the movie.

Way to go, Connie!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Always and actress on my list, her breezy sophistication and willowy figure graced a number of society/romance/dramas of the early to mid thirties--the best of them Lady With a Past (1932).  For all my admiration, I never abused myself in thinking she was any great actress beyond her metier, notwithstanding moments in Son of the Gods (1930), The Easiest Way (1931), or Outcast Lady (1934).  She was either untaxed in her roles, or when taxed--oh, I won't say anything.  

In any case, I watched a movie of hers called Paris Underground (1945), a quasi-true tale of an American in occupied WWII France who becomes instrumental in smuggling shot-down fliers out to safety.  I did it just on her name, not expecting to get all the way through it.  And I found a real prize of a performance.  Maybe she was helped by the script, and maybe by Gregory Ratoff, who directed.  But despite anything else, she delivered.  And now I'm glad to think much better of her as an actress.

Bytheway, she also produced the movie.

Way to go, Connie!

Her last movie as lead actress is 1948's SMART WOMAN. Currently on YouTube. She also produced it. Though her days of stardom were at an end, she continued to deliver strong performances. And when she transitioned to supporting roles, she didn't get lazy or do things half-hearted the way some of her peers did. She remained a very capable actress.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings