Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oddballs

GordonCole

Sometimes a film is lifted up by the appearance of a singular character that one can't even imagine dialogue having been written for, they are that out of this world.

They bring a reality to the movie, beyond acting, perhaps because they either aren't acting or are just lightning in a bottle. They could be appealing or as repugnant as can be, yet one is still a bit taken with their persona in the movie. Such a person is, to my mind, Edwin Neal in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I found his behaviour unrelentingly disgusting in this role, yet attribute a lot of the horror of the film to his somewhat tiny appearance as he foretells the danger to come. 

Some say he actually frightened even the cast and Marilyn Burns with his behavior but this might just be legend. While watching him act up after being picked up, one can only say to oneself  "Keep repeating, it is only a movie, it is only a movie."

Due to Edwin's performance, I refuse to ever pick up a hitchhiker, but what can you expect from an actor who states that L.Q. Jones is his idol. Personally I would rather deal with Leatherface, Eddie Gein or even the Ice Man rather than have Edwin anywhere in my vicinity. Pick your oddball movie person and make it good.

6 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Dean Jagger plays the simple-minded tinker pulling his junk wagon across indian territory in 'Day of the Evil Gun' and plays it with verve. Gives the story the human interaction it needs (all the other characters are hard-driven realists)

Ya don't hear about "tinkers" much anymore unless it is about Tinkers, to Evers to Chance, Sgt..

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Dudley Sutton was great as Tinker Dill in the Lovejoy series.    He was also the oddball character of the series.

Ya know, I never watched that show though I should have as I've always liked Ian McShane and what a great Judas he was in that Jesus of Nazareth tv thing. Dudley Sutton is a fine actor and to me a sort of British Michael J. Pollard type too, though they are both unique talents. Thanx.

Question here Gordie. Do these actors in their roles have to be "frightening" or "intimidating" in some manner?

Because if they don't, then I'll now suggest the name Donald Sutherland as appropriately enough the character named "Oddball" in the film Kelly's Heroes here...

tumblr_nu59fpkCNE1uryk28o5_1280.jpg

(...and who's sort of a proto-Hippie type in it)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

Ya know, I never watched that show though I should have as I've always liked Ian McShane and what a great Judas he was in that Jesus of Nazareth tv thing. Dudley Sutton is a fine actor and to me a sort of British Michael J. Pollard type too, though they are both unique talents. Thanx.

Yea, I'm a big fan of Ian McShane (e.g. he was solid in Deadwood).    I watched most of the Lovejoy series when PBS had it on around 10 years ago.   I also own 6 or so of the Lovejoy books by Jonathan Gash.  

I highly recommend the show (71 episodes)  but I have no idea how one would get access to it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Question here Gordie. Do these actors in their roles have to be "frightening" or "intimidating" in some manner?

Because if they don't, then I'll now suggest the name Donald Sutherland as appropriately enough the character named "Oddball" in the film Kelly's Heroes here...

tumblr_nu59fpkCNE1uryk28o5_1280.jpg

(...and who's sort of a proto-Hippie type in it)

Nah, they don't have to be "frightening" since I would add someone like Robert Dudley who played the Wienie King in The Palm Beach Story, as he is a laugh riot and totally unique.

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Not as odd as he was in The Vulture.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUh3wQbH_W1h0R6lKijhC

Not ever having watched this one Lawrence, and so after just now checking the Wiki synopsis for this flick, I gotta say you ain't -as they used to say- just whistlin' Dixie here, dude! Yep, Akim is DEFINITELY more "odd" in THIS one than he is in Welles' flick, alright!

(...it kind'a sounded like a Gothic version of The Fly to me)

Does the expression "Squeal like a pig" mean anything to you?

Bill McKinney in Deliverance

Bill-McKinney-Mountain-Man-Deliverance.j

And his companion in that film was kinda sweet too

screenshot-26-2.jpg?resize=970,541&ssl=1

"He got a real purty mouth, ain't he?"

(I can almost see the MAGA caps on their pointy heads).

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Ya don't hear about "tinkers" much anymore unless it is about Tinkers, to Evers to Chance, Sgt..

"Tinkers"...THAT'S who I was trying to think of!  

One never-again-explained minute on screen, and an unsettling Peter Capell steals a big lasting footprint on Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971):

hqdefault.jpg

("...And nobody ever comes out!")

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings