Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Could someone remind me how to post photos?

skimpole

7 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Could someone remind me how to post photos?  We used to have a thread near the beginning here, and it's gone.  And when I try to post photos now, the system always says its failed.

Are you uploading or hot-linking? I'm not sure if system and browsers differ, as well, so you may want to state that, too.

The simple mouse right button copy and paste method though sites long as they allow it.  My Windows Security denies me access to a lot of sites with "This is an unsecured connection"

To paste any personal photos, use Tinypic or Imgbb.com  May get annoyed with Tinypics anti-spam protocols

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

And while we're at it, can someone remind me how to REMOVE previous uploaded photos from the limited memory space in my account?

That's easy.

First, you take your tweezers and then ever so gently and steadily reach and grab a'hold of 'em without touching the sides of where they're loaded into.

(...and of course while ALSO making sure you steer clear of the areas holding the funny bone, the adam's apple, the broken heart, the butterflies in the stomach, the bread basket, the water on the knee AND the wrenched ankle)

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Dargo said:

First, you take your tweezers and then ever so gently and steadily reach and grab a'hold of 'em without touching the sides of where they're loaded into.

(...and of course while ALSO making sure you steer clear of the areas holding the funny bone, the adam's apple, the broken heart, the butterflies in the stomach, the bread basket, the water on the knee

...And then I'll get a hefty fee?

(Of course, that was also the plot of Fox's Atari-era "M.A.S.H" videogame:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxpJ2T1HOuA )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

And while we're at it, can someone remind me how to REMOVE previous uploaded photos from the limited memory space in my account?

Obviously I have a website which I use to host my stuff (some of it for the TCM site, and some of it O/T for other uses), but out of morbid curiosity I did play around with this forum's image storage capabilities a while back during their upgrade.  It's a given that the space is limited, but here's the kicker:  you first need to edit and delete each instance from each post where you used the images.  (How you get to those posts is the part I don't remember off the top of my head.)  Then after that they are either gone, or you can then delete them from the list.

I would suggest using a free image hosting service, like Hamradio says.  Only problem here is any one of them might stop free service and start charging at any time - ala Photo Bucket, or was that Bit Bucket.  I don't remember.  Funny how quickly they became irrelevant after they pulled that.

Go to a site you want to get a pic from (Some sites may block this.).  Select the image you want, however you do it on your computer to get the menu for options.  On an Apple computer you will see this:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-17-52-PM.png

Something similar will appear on a PC.  Copy the address of the pic.  Go to the thread you want to post a pic in, or start a thread of your own.  At the place you want your pic to appear, click the Insert other media button below the text area:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-24-55-PM.png

You will see:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-27-11-PM.png

Select the 'Insert image from URL' button.  You will see:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-30-23-PM.png

Paste the image address in the box, and if you have lived an honorable life, you will see your pic materialize in your post:

i018350.jpg

That works too, as long as the hosting site allows for hot-linking their images.  If not, you will get an error message in your post instead of a hot-linked image.  (It is essentially using their server bandwidth for purposes other than what some of them intended.)

Also hot-linked images are subject to removal, as many websites change their content on a regular basis.  So if they remove it from their site or change the location ever so slightly, that breaks the image in your post.

Your mileage may vary.

If you have a pic on your computer, or you have to take a screenshot of a site or something and make a file of it, then the best option is to go to what is called an image hosting site and put your pic there.  My image hoster of choice is imgbb.  The Website is, of course, imgbb.com.  Go there and you will see this:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-39-07-PM.png

Press the start uploading button, and a dropdown menu of what's on your computer will appear (I don't want to post a screenshot of my computer showing my dropdown menu for privacy reasons).  Select the file with the pic you want, and you will see this:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-44-21-PM.png

Press the upload button, and you will see this:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-45-58-PM.png

Now here's the important part.  Click on the pic, and another browser window, or tab will open with the pic in it:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-49-30-PM.png

See how the pic is in it's own tab, separate from the tab for imgbb?  Now you can select this pic, copy its address, and put it in your post as I described above.

Oh, and one more thing here, skimpole.

Hence forth, whenever you might now or in the future be posting pictures of cars at this website, be sure it's a picture of a car as cool as that Jaguar E-type that slayton just showed you in his little tutorial here.

(...we gearheads around here would especially appreciate this)

;)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, slaytonf said:

If you have a pic on your computer, or you have to take a screenshot of a site or something and make a file of it,

This.  First and foremost.  If you like it, save it to your computer.  There have definitely been times I saw a pic I liked and later wished I had saved it.

Also the Print Screen/screen capture capabilities of your computer can come in handy.  This is useful for certain sites which put an image into a web page using unconventional means, sometimes as a "background" element or sometimes porting it through some unnecessary viewer, as a deterrent to image harvesting - their links cannot be easily selected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Go to a site you want to get a pic from (Some sites may block this.).  Select the image you want, however you do it on your computer to get the menu for options.  On an Apple computer you will see this:

Some

Thanks, this actually worked.  (Other people's suggestions might have worked had I tried them.

2 hours ago, skimpole said:

Thanks, this actually worked.  (Other people's suggestions might have worked had I tried them.

I always just open the image in a new tab and copy and paste the address into my comment. That should work too and it's easier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh, and one more thing here, skimpole.

Hence forth, whenever you might now or in the future be posting pictures of cars at this website, be sure it's a picture of a car as cool as that Jaguar E-type that slayton just showed you in his little tutorial here.

(...we gearheads around here would especially appreciate this)

;)

Well, natch, if I'm gonna look for a sample pic.  I won't choose Ned Sparks.

7 hours ago, slaytonf said:

If you have a pic on your computer, or you have to take a screenshot of a site or something and make a file of it, then the best option is to go to what is called an image hosting site and put your pic there.  My image hoster of choice is imgbb.  The Website is, of course, imgbb.com.  Go there and you will see this:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-39-07-PM.png

Press the start uploading button, and a dropdown menu of what's on your computer will appear (I don't want to post a screenshot of my computer showing my dropdown menu for privacy reasons).  Select the file with the pic you want, and you will see this:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-44-21-PM.png

Press the upload button, and you will see this:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-45-58-PM.png

Now here's the important part.  Click on the pic, and another browser window, or tab will open with the pic in it:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-9-49-30-PM.png

See how the pic is in it's own tab, separate from the tab for imgbb?  Now you can select this pic, copy its address, and put it in your post as I described above.

:D  Yeah, looks like THAT works!  ;) 

Like I mentioned elsewhere, any time I tried to post a pic, REGARDLESS of how SMALL the original image size...

I ALWAYS got a message that the image EXCEEDED the "allowed space" or some such crap.

Sepiatone

Perhaps that's because you were uploading a pic directly from your computer to the TCM site.  You can do that, but only to a limited extent.  I don't know if each pic you upload directly has a limit, or there is just a total limit for all your pics.  I found this out but running into the same thing.  Now, every time I want to upload a pic, I just use the methods above.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings