• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

Post All the Lousy Music You Want Thread

On 2/9/2019 at 6:58 PM, Sepiatone said:

Seems to me Stephan, 

YOU posted a lot of what many long thought WASN'T lousy music to this thread. 

Well in that constantly revamped (unwanted posts deleted) "Trump Is Beginning to Look Like the Greatest President Since Abraham Lincoln"

DB thread, from which this thread was once a part of before he orphaned and re-titled it, the music links that I posted were meant to evoke fond memories and sooth the evolving posted hostility between DB and Tom.
Up until the point where DB made the cut into two separate threads, entitling this one as the "Post All The Lousy Music You Want Thread" I actually momentarily fooled myself into believing that the desired effect was being obtained, as the tone between those two superficially appeared to become more amicable, up to my very last post in that former thread, at that time.
So, to be quite clear, despite DB's re-title of this thread, I do not think that any of the music that I posted was lousy....

One would think you really HATED Don McLean!.

On the contrary, I am quite fond of Don Mclean's music, and back in the day owned and frequently listened to his cassettes, and today have his all of his greatest hits in mp3 format.

But "lousy" music( like "good" music) is subjective.  So I'll contribute a couple of MY considered "lousy" music tunes---- 

I do so agree that music appreciation is highly subjective.
I admit that though I have pretty eclectic tastes in most things (including movies, books, art, music and food) that I am not into "rap" and never "appreciated" the "head bangers" of the day.
So perhaps I am turning into a narrow minded old fogy.
And though DB may disagree, I found nothing at all "lousy" in the music that you posted above... so I do hope that you were being facetious when you said that you considered it to be so. :unsure:

On 2/6/2019 at 10:20 PM, Vautrin said:

I can understand why the romantic croonings of The Association would be popular with teenage

girls, but they never did much for me.

Well, that attitude might have been different if a pretty girl were singing those lyrics into your ear.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:20 PM, Vautrin said:

I have no such problems with The Four Seasons. Rag Doll

was my favorite FS song.

Liked them, along with their "Rag Doll"

And really enjoyed this medley as well.

The Lettermen 1968 TV "Going Out of My Head / Can't Take My Eyes off You" WIth Dancers

Yep, liked the Lettermen, their rendition of:
The Lettermen - Never My Love (1968)

Though of the two, the original Association version is still the iconic best to my ear.
Association - Never My Love (1967)

3 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Well in that constantly revamped (unwanted posts deleted) "Trump Is Beginning to Look Like the Greatest President Since Abraham Lincoln"

DB thread, from which this thread was once a part of before he orphaned and re-titled it, the music links that I posted were meant to evoke fond memories and sooth the evolving posted hostility between DB and Tom.
Up until the point where DB made the cut into two separate threads, entitling this one as the "Post All The Lousy Music You Want Thread" I actually momentarily fooled myself into believing that the desired effect was being obtained, as the tone between those two superficially appeared to become more amicable, up to my very last post in that former thread, at that time.
So, to be quite clear, despite DB's re-title of this thread, I do not think that any of the music that I posted was lousy....

On the contrary, I am quite fond of Don Mclean's music, and back in the day owned and frequently listened to his cassettes, and today have his all of his greatest hits in mp3 format.

I do so agree that music appreciation is highly subjective.
I admit that though I have pretty eclectic tastes in most things (including movies, books, art, music and food) that I am not into "rap" and never "appreciated" the "head bangers" of the day.
So perhaps I am turning into a narrow minded old fogy.
And though DB may disagree, I found nothing at all "lousy" in the music that you posted above... so I do hope that you were being facetious when you said that you considered it to be so. :unsure:

Actually, I wasn't being facetious about those two tunes.  But it does prove the "subjective" point.  ;)

And FYI and for the record( no pun intent) the McLean tune I like better than most is this one that didn't get the "airplay" thought it deserved----

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The purpose of this chat escapes me. I don't dwell on lousy music. I dismiss it from my thoughts. Personal headphones are the antidote to garbage like hip-hop and rap.

11 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

the music links that I posted were meant to evoke fond memories and sooth the evolving posted hostility between DB and Tom. Up until the point where DB made the cut into two separate threads, entitling this one as the "Post All The Lousy Music You Want Thread" I actually momentarily fooled myself into believing that the desired effect was being obtained, as the tone between those two superficially appeared to become more amicable, up to my very last post in that former thread, at that time.

What color is the sky in your world, Stephan?

Really beautiful Julee Cruise song. This is my favorite one. "Then I saw your face. Then I saw your smile."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Well, that attitude might have been different if a pretty girl were singing those lyrics into your ear.

Liked them, along with their "Rag Doll"

Probably, but I would ask her, very sweetly, to substitute another song lyric, maybe Revolution 9.

Yeah the Four Seasons put out a lot of good singles, all very listenable.

I was watching Cash Cab last night and there was this question;  What song by the group Starship was awarded as one of the worst songs in the 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs:    Answer:  We Built this City (on Rock and Roll).    

From Wiki: It has appeared on several "worst song" lists, topping a 2011 Rolling Stone poll of worst songs of the 1980s by a wide margin. The song's winning margin was so large that the magazine reported it "could be the biggest blow-out victory in the history of the Rolling Stone Readers Poll".[11]

9 hours ago, darkblue said:

What color is the sky in your world, Stephan?

Varies depending on the time of day and weather, as my natural vision can't penetrate low cloud cover.

14 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Varies depending on the time of day and weather, as my natural vision can't penetrate low cloud cover.

Can't penetrate the difference between hijacking a topic by posting a dozen music videos in a row in a thread titled "Trump Is Beginning to Look like the Greatest President Since Abraham Lincoln" and being butthurt over that thread being given over to you as a reward for your rudeness, either.

Might wanna see an therapist about that little "vision" impairment of yours.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, darkblue said:

Can't penetrate the difference between hijacking a topic by posting a dozen music videos in a row in a thread titled "Trump Is Beginning to Look like the Greatest President Since Abraham Lincoln" and being butthurt over that thread being given over to you as a reward for your rudeness, either.

Might wanna see an therapist about that little "vision" impairment of yours.

I believe that I have posted in both of the formerly related threads that I appreciated you leaving this one intact.
Your earlier posts as well as those of Tom and everyone else who originally posted in your "Abe" thread are still intact here, if you care to review them.
Your political persuasion is quite obvious and when you post such a title as above to a thread in a public forum you automatically invite criticism from opposing viewpoints.
However I have seen how quickly you can turn practically any discourse into a verbal (or written) slug fest.
Considering the "dialogue" that was transpiring I actually thought of those little musical links as having the potential of providing a brief "cool down" intermission for anyone who took the time to actually listen to them. They weren't really that intrusive were they?
I mean one can easily ignore a post and move on the the next if they so choose, can't they?
No one is forced to read anything here or click on a link if they don't want to, are they?
When I am reading I often have some music in the background. So really DB, just how did I "hijack" your thread by posting a few harmless music links?
I admit now that I was evidently in error in thinking that perhaps we grew up in similar time frames, appreciating much of the same types of music. But again, if you didn't like the link title you didn't have to listen to any of it, did you?
Of the very numerous and repetitive threads that you continuously post, I have infrequently commented in any of them.
You obviously have some sort of propaganda agenda and that's fine. But you really shouldn't allow yourself to become piffed when someone doesn't agree with your viewpoint and lets you know why.
And just because I chose to reply literally to your previous post to me doesn't mean that I was oblivious to your underlying intent. I just chose not to take the bait.
I could easily say something unkind and truly rude back to you, but what purpose would that serve?
Someone once told me that "it is unwise to wrestle with a pig as you both end up getting "crap" all over yourselves and the pig enjoys it."
As others have posted you have your own very myopic viewpoints about such things and I now know that it is a waste of time trying to get you to see any "clearer" or "further" than you have chosen to do.
That is the only "butthurt" (as you call it) that I have. As I have apparently erred in my assessment that you possess a greater level of objectivity and inherent critical thinking skills than you actually do.
I am generally a pretty good judge of character, but because of our past somewhat amicable association here I allowed myself to error and consider that perhaps beneath it all you might truly be a "child of vision" instead of just a "child" in need of new "specs" to improve their existing vision.
I do apologize for that. As I am now getting the impression that you exist within the confines of an "orange" bubble. And whatever you post (at least in regards the hotly debated off-topic politics) is really intended for a tiny handful of people here that already agree with your existing mindset.
You are obviously not interested in discourse or debate with anyone who thinks differently than yourself.
You are not trying to "enlighten" anyone, nor do you wish to be enlightened by anyone.
You are just preaching to your own very limited choir.
Since this is "your" thread and since you obviously take offense that I have posted anything here (in spite of your acidic remark to have at it, and "knock myself out" because you "aim to please").
I can easily stop making any further posts here and delete those that I have made.
It will appear as if I didn't even exist for you in this thread.
I am very willing to accommodate you in that regard if it will help to alleviate your "pain and anguish."
All you have to do is ask me as an adult to do so. And you need to post that request here as I do not accept or read PMs on the TCM website.
Further if you wish I will block you from my sight to help prevent me from inadvertently looking at anything that you post. And you can do likewise in my regard, if you think that is a good idea.
Just "say" the word, and I will no longer make any effort to communicate with you at all here, Oh "child of (little) vision." ;):)

1 hour ago, Stephan55 said:

everyone else who originally posted in your "Abe" thread are still intact here, if you care to review them.

Don't need to. It's my thread and I know what's in it.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, Princess of Tap said:

So I guess if I had to pick one, it would be " Dawn ".

Dawn (Go Away) - The Four Seasons - Lyrics

On 2/7/2019 at 12:02 AM, Princess of Tap said:

"Cherish" was a beautiful song. But " Windy " was their song song that drove me crazy.

Windy by the Association with lyrics

• Thanks 1

And a couple of more fav's by the Classics Four to help round things out a bit.

Stormy - Classics IV (Lyrics on the Screen)

"Spooky" (With Lyrics) The Classics IV

• Like 1

I just found out one of my all time favorite musicians, Joe Jackson is playing two days after my birthday at the local neighborhood movie palace!! (which I helped restore) Yay! Makes getting older OK.

I've been a fan from the beginning & enjoyed every album through his career twists & turns. I just know he's going to do this popular song, one of my least favorites:

(although I have to say, this live version is much more dynamic than the dull record version)

When I'd really flip hearing this performed live:

Although I certainly don't need anything that's gonna make me rock out and make an old lady spectacle of myself!

(Look Sharp! is an album that perfectly illustrates "track order". Is She Really is in the exact middle hump of side 1 while Baby Stick Around is the first song on side 2. Streaming has ruined the concept of "song flow")

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Although I certainly don't need anything that's gonna make me rock out and make an old lady spectacle of myself!

You're no old lady;  you're a mature lady that loves to rock!

(hey, that is similar to what I tell myself when I rock out with my buddies on the weekend!).

As for Joe Jackson;  I liked him but didn't know he was still around.    

PS: I'm close to the lead singer of The Tubes and the wife and I went to a show last week.    He turned 70 last year (we went to Italy together to celebrate).   Anyhow at the show my wife was surprised to see that John Waybill still had groupies.   They were dancing and screening and it was a hoot to see women in their 60s acting like teens at a rock show.     

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

if you think that is a good idea.

I think it's a good idea for you to not hijack anyone else's threads by suddenly posting a whole pile of music videos into it so as to disrupt the conversation and change the topic indicated by the thread title. If you want to post dozens of music videos, do it in a thread about music or start your own thread. Hijacking as blatantly as you did here was way rude.

1 hour ago, HIGHWAY said:

.Not my favorite Yoko song

My favorite Yoko Ono song is called "Give Me Something". She starts it by cawing like a crow. It's a very controlled sound and she handles it well.

Yoko was one of the pioneers in performance art. And that's how John Lennon met her at one of her shows in London.

• Thanks 1