Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the walls of malapaga

hutz

good movie, but tcm seriously needs to junk whatever copy they're using and request a proper one.

the subtitles were unreadable half the time and it greatly hindered my ability to enjoy the film

TCM brags about showing films uncut and commercial free. they should add "and in the best quality possible" to that statement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hutz said:

good movie, but tcm seriously needs to junk whatever copy they're using and request a proper one.

the subtitles were unreadable half the time and it greatly hindered my ability to enjoy the film

TCM brags about showing films uncut and commercial free. they should add "and in the best quality possible" to that statement.

That appears to be the only copy in circulation. I watched the movie on FilmStruck when that was still going and they had the same washed-out print and poor subtitles. That was the only one out of dozens of foreign titles that I watched that looked that poor.

• Sad 1

I too was disappointed with the quality of the print from "The Walls of Malapaga".  I was almost ready to ditch watching it after 10 minutes, but then the quality got a little better, so I stuck with it.  After another 5-10 minutes, I was so hooked on the story that I rode out the remaining imperfections.  For years, I could never watch "The Front Page" because of the actors' washed out faces.  The film was restored recently, and for the last couple of showings on TCM it's been decent to watch.  As for the inability to read the subtitles easily because of white letters on a white background; I wholeheartedly concur!  It's more than a little disappointing to not understand what's being said, and not being able to read what the dialog's about.  I have noticed on a few TCM Imports selections that some subtitles are in yellow letters.  For a black and white film, that's the perfect color choice to help those of us who are deficient in or void of understanding a foreign language.

21 hours ago, midwestan said:

For years, I could never watch "The Front Page" because of the actors' washed out faces.  The film was restored recently, and for the last couple of showings on TCM it's been decent to watch.  

Yeah, I have to say the touch up looks very well done. My favorite camera trick is when they yell at each other in the press room and the camera zooms from face to face. It looks very good.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, hutz said:

Maybe TCM could ask the author of the Youtube video can they borrow it.  LOOKS CRYSTAL CLEAR! Only needs English subtitles.

Walls-of.png

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings