Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"When We Were Young: Growing Up on the Silver Screen (1989 PBS documentary)

DVDPhreak

I watched this doc when it first aired on PBS back in 1989 and had never seen it again until I found this local PBS page that is streaming it.  Sometimes, this kind of PBS streaming content is restricted to certain regions, so let me know this works for everyone.  The film has interviews of many former child stars such as Baby Peggy, Dickie Moore, Roddy McDowall, Margaret O'Brien, etc., and it is hosted and narrated by Maureen Stapleton.  Has this been aired on TCM??

Yes. 

There was also a movie by the same name, which is actually what they listed in their schedules (complete with a bunch of no-name actors), once a year from 1999 through 2002.  Then also once again in 2006.  (I pulled them up just now and looked)

Since you bring this up, I do believe that may have been a mistake on their part for every single instance, as they also used a two-part time slot each time, which back then they reserved only for the longest movies or features (such as Ben Hur 1959), and this movie with no-name actors was only a 1:40 movie (fairly typical length, no need to split in half on the schedule as per their earlier protocol).

So I'm going to go against my rules here as the evidence suggests their listing was actually wrong (several times in a row), and say it looks like they indeed did play the PBS documentary several times:  once a year from 1999 through 2002, then once again in 2006.

I'll have to update my project to reflect this.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings