Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Albert Finney (1935-2019)

Bogie56

I always had a feeling that his performance as Kincaide -- the Bond family's longtime gamekeeper in 2012's 007 thriller "Skyfall" -- would be his last.

Too bad he never received an honorary Oscar after five nominations. He turned down a knighthood in 2000.

Related image

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this. A great actor. I love Tom Jones. He should have won the Oscar.

And he was brilliant as one of the screen's first angry young men, in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning:

SATURDAY-NIGHT-AND-SUNDAY-MORNING-image.

He was as brilliant on stage as he was in the movies. I saw him on stage three times: Macbeth (a problematic production, with Dorothy Tutin, but the acting was fine); Another Time, and Art.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Very sad to read about this. He was one of my favorites from the era, and one of the last of that generation of British stars still around. Along with the films mentioned above, I also enjoyed his work in Shoot the MoonThe Dresser, and Under the Volcano.

3815067286_e971024d69.jpg

Albert Finney's Hercule Poirot in Sidney Lumet's  "Murder on the Orient Express"  was the most authentic film portrayal to the Agatha Christie book.

Finney had to be a great actor to lead the cast  and be a stand out in a movie with actors and actresses like:

Ingrid Bergman, Sir John Gielgud, Vanessa Redgrave, Richard Widmark, Sean Connery and Tony Perkins.

'Tom Jones' naturally comes to mind first at the mention of his name - but then my mind invariably moves to 'Two for the Road' (1967). I related to him strongly in that movie back then. His anguish at the unfaithfulness of his woman felt very real to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skimpole said:

I don't know if TCM is going to have a tribute evening for him (though it obviously should, since it's had them for much lesser actors), but if they do, they should have Shoot the Moon.

If TCM does have a Finney tribute we will probably see it in March. I can't see them changing the schedule during Oscar month.

This is very sad news.  I loved Albert Finney in Big Fish.  He and Ewan McGregor both did an excellent job playing the same character.  

I also really liked Finney in Two For the Road.  I thought that he and Audrey Hepburn gave a very realistic portrayal of a couple trying to figure out what events led to the infidelity (on both sides) in their long relationship.  They both seemed like they wanted to be together, but various events in their lives pulled them apart.  It was a very interesting film that I enjoyed immensely.  

Finney had such a diverse career.  I'll admit that I haven't seen many of his films.  I loathe Annie as much as I've loathed any film.  Annie is so annoying.  I only liked Carol Burnett's Miss Hannigan because she was mean to Annie.

I will need to get Tom Jones at the library, or wait for it to show up on TCM.  I've never seen it before.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings