Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cigarjoe

Archaic Expressions in Films

30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

The following may have been mentioned before in this thread, but...

97539_full.jpg?w=676

And playing the lead "stewardess" onboard Trans Global Airlines Flt. 2 from Chicago to Rome, and who is having an affair with Captain Dino to her right here, is lovely actress Jacqueline Bisset.

This of course being a time before that job description would become known as the gender nonspecific "flight attendant".

AND of course, back in that bygone era when air travel was considered "glamorous".

(...btw, I think Jackie there is the only one still  kickin' around who's in that photo, isn't she)

Certainly no roll-aboard suitcases (even if they existed) would go overhead back in those days.  Believe you're correct about Ms. Bisset.   I was fortunate to see her at 2019's TCMFF, where she was part of the discussion on Day For Night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Certainly no roll-aboard suitcases (even if they existed) would go overhead back in those days.  Believe you're correct about Ms. Bisset.   I was fortunate to see her at 2019's TCMFF, where she was part of the discussion on Day For Night.

When I was just a kid I remember flying on a TWA Lockheed Constellation to Europe. We took off from Idlewild Airport flew to Gander, Newfoundland gassed up and flew to Shannon, Ireland, gassed up again and landed in Orly Paris. I got to hang out in the cockpit with the pilots and remember all the windows had curtains. lol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

When I was just a kid I remember flying on a TWA Lockheed Constellation to Europe. We took off from Idlewild Airport flew to Gander, Newfoundland gassed up and flew to Shannon, Ireland, gassed up again and landed in Orly Paris. I got to hang out in the cockpit with the pilots and remember all the windows had curtains. lol.

Considering your first trip across the pond was on a prop plane CJ, you must've been a few years younger than I was (age 11) when I had my first airliner trip in the summer of '63 from LAX-CHI on a United DC-8, and then a connection to Flint MI on a TWA Connie like the one you crossed the Atlantic on.

(...I think by '63, TWA's transatlantic flights were operating  the 707)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I got to hang out in the cockpit with the pilots

Ah, I remember those days. I hung out with the pilots on my way to Australia & saw whales in the ocean! All Quantas attendants were men back then too. 

• Like 1

It has been brought to my attention that we must now consider archaic the expression: "avoid it like the plague" because it is obvious from beaches and protests that we no longer do that.

• Haha 2

Not TOTALLY gone, but it's been several blue moons since I've heard anyone say, "I got a blowout!"  Most say the simply "Had a flat" or a tire "Went flat".  

Sepiatone

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Not TOTALLY gone, but it's been several blue moons since I've heard anyone say, "I got a blowout!"  Most say the simply "Had a flat" or a tire "Went flat".  

Sepiatone

Probably because blowouts are rare, but flats still occur.  Tires, like cars, are much more reliable than they used to be, so true blowouts rarely happen nowadays.

As a kid in the 1970s, we had one on the Gulf Freeway in Houston, in the innermost lane and he had to move over 3 or 4 lanes to the shoulder (there was no inner shoulder).  Very scary.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Yes, but remember, "it's only flat on the bottom".

(...and yet another old joke one doesn't hear much anymore)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/16/2020 at 10:17 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

I believe that the last time that I heard that expression was in a nerdy teen movie parody and it referred to loss of stature due to the failure of an inflatable bra.

• Haha 1

On the dodge - hiding out

A motel with separate cabins called a collection of dog kennels.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:47 AM, TikiSoo said:

All Quantas attendants were men back then too. 

Quantas never crashed, or so I've been told.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Quantas never crashed, or so I've been told.

And Qantas doesn't have a 'u' in its spelling either, btw.

And nope, this isn't another of my ongoing little jokes about the superfluous-u, as Qantas is an acronym for its original name of Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services.

(...but don't worry, many people erroneously spell its name with that superfluous-u, as there are few words or names in the English language in which a "Q" isn't immediately followed by a 'U', of course)

36 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I actually was somewhat sure it didn't (I say somewhat defensively), but I just parroted the way it had already been spelled, assuming everyone else on this thread knows more than me.

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

I actually was somewhat sure it didn't (I say somewhat defensively), but I just parroted the way it had already been spelled, assuming everyone else on this thread knows more than me.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

(...NOT that you "know less than everyone else" that is, but just that you probably parroted Tiki's earlier misspelling of the airline's name) ;) 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

parroted Tiki's earlier misspelling

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

LOL  

Yes, very good, Tiki!

Although as I recall, Disneyland's  Enchanted Tiki Room was sponsored by United Airlines, not Qantas.  ;)

(...spelled, once again, without one of those oh so needless superfluous letter 'U's..."Qantas" that is...now on the other hand, the name "United" of course needs that "U" there or else its name would just be "Nited" and which would make NO sense at all)  

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

And nope, this isn't another of my ongoing little jokes about the superfluous-u, as Qantas is an acronym for its original name of Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services.

(...but don't worry, many people erroneously spell its name with that superfluous-u, as there are few words or names in the English language in which a "Q" isn't immediately followed by a 'U', of course)

You'd know better than me(as you do work in that business) but I'll admit that I'd probably make that same mistake as I've always heard the airline's name PRONOUNCED as if it had a "u" in it's name. ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

While watching the film San Quentin (1937) last night, there was a short scene in which one inmate gave another inmate a "hot foot".

And I thought to myself, when was the last time anyone in a movie or in real life performed that prank on someone else?

(...probably a long time ago)

• Haha 1

Was "bum steer" mentioned here?

Was years before I learned it had nothing to do with cattle(or an actual steer.  ;) )  but just meaning a misdirection. (like turning someone in the wrong direction).

Sepiatone