Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archaic Expressions in Films

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Some of that diner/waitress patter isn't put on, I'm told( by my Grandmother, who did that kind of work over the '30's, '40's and into the '50's), and often varied from "greasy spoon" to greasy spoon.  ;)   But DONUTS were always "sinkers" in all of them, with coffee going from "mop water"  to "Iodine" and "Joe" or "Java".  And of course, we know that chipped beef on toast was usually referred to as--- "SH*T on a SHINGLE".  :blink: 

Sepiatone

"Adam & Eve on a log and you can sink them damn straight" Tom Waits

Yeah, "Diner Lingo" was a column in a magazine I used to manage/edit. While some may have abbreviated shout outs to the cook with funny names, it's not likely. Although I do think "86" (no more) "wrecked" (scrambled) and "Joe" (coffee) were a few common terms.

Re: "Toney" My grandmother used to say that and I always found it kind of funny, since we had Anthonys in our family. As a kid I LOL the first time I had heard the name Franchot Tone-it just sounded so snooty!

Also, in the early 60's she'd say "colored" and being the snotty kid I'd say, "Really? You saw purple people?" (Actually, I have seen a Colloidal Silver blue person)

:D  Reminded of a scene in the movie RUDE AWAKENING ('89) in which a stoned CHEECH MARIN is leaning up against a statue of a female figure completely covered in a rainbow of mosaic tiles.  He tells her, "I really DIG colored girls!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Hmmm...I wonder why I'm suddenly reminded of a particular Lou Reed song here now? 

(...sure hope THIS one doesn't now become another earworm like that Avengers theme song did recently to me!)

;)

• Haha 1
On 10/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, Sepiatone said:

I've heard both in movies from several eras.   "Have You_____?"  is one I hear used by movie characters that are supposed to be either "uppity" or from a more affluent class.   And too, I sometime hear both in life to this very day.  

Sepiatone

I'm trying to think if I've ever heard anyone say "Have you ___" in real life.  Don't think so.  Think I've seen it in movies as late as the 1960s.

16 hours ago, Vidor said:

I'm trying to think if I've ever heard anyone say "Have you ___" in real life. 

I don't follow you. Is the archaic expression, "have you ever...?" as in when an older refined lady is insulted and she looks away saying, "well have you EVER...?"

sis-dumont-12.jpg

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I don't follow you. Is the archaic expression, "have you ever...?" as in when an older refined lady is insulted and she looks away saying, "well have you EVER...?"

sis-dumont-12.jpg

I think it's more along the lines of someone entering a shop or store and asking, regarding their inventory,  "Have you...",  meaning "Do you have..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What TIMING!

Just yesterday at the grocery store, I handed the cashier a $50 bill for a $30 tab, and she asked, "Have you anything smaller?"  ;) 

So, not as archaic as thought, eh?  At least not in some parts.

Sepiatone

NOTE:  The cashier in question did appear to be possibly in her mid '40's.  But that's just a guess, and I'm too much of a gentleman to ask.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I think it's more along the lines of someone entering a shop or store and asking, regarding their inventory,  "Have you...",  meaning "Do you have..."

Not just a shop or store, anybody asking anyone else.  Character A, holding a cigarette, goes up to Character B and says "Have you a match?"  Sounds very odd to me, although as noted above this construction still lingers around in some places.

I do enjoy the lesson in 1940s slang that is the opening scenes of "Ball of Fire".

• Like 1
11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

"Have you the time?" you might have heard a long time ago.

I have the time, if you have the beer!

I knew someone who would say, "I'm going to have a bath now" so I know what you mean.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I have the time, if you have the beer!

I knew someone who would say, "I'm going to have a bath now" so I know what you mean.

Heh!  A guy I knew who grew up in Alabama would say, "I'm gonna take my dog a bath."  Instead of saying he was going to GIVE his dog a bath. 

Sepiatone

Maybe not just an archaic term, but also an archaic item....?

This morning, while watching HIS GIRL FRIDAY, upon meeting Bruce Baldwin(Ralph Bellamy) Walter Burns(Cary Grant) notice Bruce carrying an umbrella because he said it looked like rain.  Burns then asked if he's also wearing his "rubbers", which Bruce proves by pointing down to his feet.

I remember having those rubber shoe coverings when I was a kid, but haven't had any since I was probably in the fifth grade.  And haven't had them since.  In fact, I don't know when they stopped making them, or even if they had stopped.  and likely because I've never bothered to look for them.  

So, do they still make those things?

Sepiatone

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, Sepiatone said:

I remember having those rubber shoe coverings when I was a kid, but haven't had any since I was probably in the fifth grade.  (snipped) So, do they still make those things?

Yes they do! And they're very practical.

Funnily enough, the company is called Tingley as in "Please hand me my Tingley rubbers".

https://www.tingleyrubber.com/collections/over-the-shoe/products/workbrutes-hi-top-overshoe?lshst=collection

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yes they do! And they're very practical.

Funnily enough, the company is called Tingley as in "Please hand me my Tingley rubbers".

https://www.tingleyrubber.com/collections/over-the-shoe/products/workbrutes-hi-top-overshoe?lshst=collection

:D 

Yeah, but at $21.84 they cost more than my shoes!  ;)  And besides....

I'll NEVER get those to fit inside my WALLET!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

Hey! I've got one that appears to now be an archaic expression:

"Outgoing Administration assists incoming Administration during transition period."

(...sorry, just couldn't resist) ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I haven't heard  "I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts" in a while either 

And which now reminds me of Red Skelton's old comedy routine here about how various people "dunk their donuts"...

(...I remember occasionally dunking my donuts in my coffee back in the day also, but haven't done this for years now nor have seen anyone doing this for quite some time now either)

• Haha 1

I see we've strayed a bit from these kind of things being said in movies.  But I'm on board with Joe's "dollars to doughnuts" thing.  Another I've heard not only in my lifetime from people I've known, but also in both movies and television shows...

"(Not worth)  or(Not For)_ MONEY, MARBLES and CHALK."

And always wondered about both of those.    And too....  one made it into song------

Sepiatone

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I see we've strayed a bit from these kind of things being said in movies.  But I'm on board with Joe's "dollars to doughnuts" thing.  Another I've heard not only in my lifetime from people I've known, but also in both movies and television shows...

"(Not worth)  or(Not For)_ MONEY, MARBLES and CHALK."

And always wondered about both of those.    And too....  one made it into song------

Is that akin to: Lawyers, Guns and Money?

• Haha 1