Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archaic Expressions in Films

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that I have not watched a movie made after the early 1940s which included the phrase: Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Actually here Sans, I'm pretty sure in the 1962 movie, Don't Knock The Twist, Chubby Checker says this very thing to a cameo appearing Bobby Jones and as Bobby steps onto the dance floor.

(...Chubby was worried the then 60 year old golfing great might hurt himself if he danced too vigorously)

• Like 1

Also from Cagney in Angels with Dirty Faces - he says to Pat O'Brien as he greets him "What do you hear?, What do you say?"

I also enjoy Burt Lancaster line to Tony Curtis in Sweet Smell of Success, "I'd hate to take a bite out of you Sidney, you're a cookie filled with arsenic."

The King and I - Yul Brynner using his new found word  - Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera.

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually here Sans, I'm pretty sure in the 1962 movie, Don't Knock The Twist, Chubby Checker says this very thing to a cameo appearing Bobby Jones and as Bobby steps onto the dance floor.

(...Chubby was worried the then 60 year old golfing great might hurt himself if he danced too vigorously)

Nope, not gonna look THAT one up!

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Nope, not gonna look THAT one up!

OH, and btw here sewhite...

In THIS case the movie Don't Knock The Twist (1962), DOES actually exist (yep really, you'll find this one on the IMDb website), but of course I did make up the whole thing about Chubby Checker and Bobby Jones just for the play-on-words aspect.

14 hours ago, SansFin said:

Is that akin to: Lawyers, Guns and Money?

Naw.  I think it's somewhere in the "Hook, Line and Sinker " and the "Lock, Stock and Barrel" region.  I'll have to ask any old "Tom, Dick and Harry".  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1