Find results in...

Archaic Expressions in Films

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

More on lighting...

Douse the lights

others....

phooey

ixnay

Yeah, ya know, you don't hear a lot of Pig Latin spoken much anymore, do ya.

(...although I sure remember it being all the rage for a while back when I was a little kid in the '50s)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, ya know, you don't hear a lot of Pig Latin spoken much anymore, do ya.

(...although I sure remember it being all the rage for a while back when I was a little kid in the '50s)

Haha I once worked for a family business where they would speak in their native language in front of employees. Since I found that extremely rude, I taught most of my office mates pig latin. I recall specifically saying "diot-I-ay" in front of the owner once and when he asked what that 'merican 'spression meant, I said "oh, means computer literate".

And one of my students found a pencil shaving in my hair- I swiped it off saying "ew, boy cooties!" they loved that. Remember the vintage toy Cooties? Not "educational or exciting" when kids actually get lice.

3836391880_455ee8bfa9_z.jpg

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but on corporate phone recording menus, they still often say "dial 2". Like phones still have dials.

Anyone remember pagers? What about department store pager bells?

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

And re this whole "turning the lights on and off" thing here...

I now have to ask if back in the day when Danny Don Meredith sang his old signature closing line song on Monday Night Football and when there was no doubt as to the outcome of the game, if it would have really had the same ring to it had he sang instead, "Switch out the lights, the party's over"???

(...probably not, huh) ;)

:huh:

Was that sung by DANNY Don Meredith, or "DANDY" Don Meredith?  :unsure:

I think though, in the case of referencing most modern day light switches, saying "FLICK off the lights" would better fit. ;)

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 6:52 AM, TikiSoo said:

Haha I once worked for a family business where they would speak in their native language in front of employees. Since I found that extremely rude, I taught most of my office mates pig latin. I recall specifically saying "diot-I-ay" in front of the owner once and when he asked what that 'merican 'spression meant, I said "oh, means computer literate".

And one of my students found a pencil shaving in my hair- I swiped it off saying "ew, boy cooties!" they loved that. Remember the vintage toy Cooties? Not "educational or exciting" when kids actually get lice.

3836391880_455ee8bfa9_z.jpg

Yep.  LOVED that game.  Had the very one in this picture.  They still make it.  But the "cooties" look more cartoonish now. There used to be some nonsense in Jr. high where someone might tap you somewhere, hold their hand up in what a few years became known as the "peace symbol" and run off yelling, "Cooties!"  The idea being that they passed the "cooties" on to you.  :rolleyes:  And BTW-----

What's better..... 

The "cat's pajamas", or, "the cat's meow."?  

And what DO "bee's knees" look like?  

In a recent "Mother Goose and Grimm" comic, the two, after watching a movie, has Mother Goose claiming, "That movie scared the BEEJEEBUS out of me!"  With Grimm responding, "Me too.  I'm gonna need some BEEJEEBUS stain remover!"  :D 

Sepiatone

Everyone in TCM Nation!!! I think the Duke is tops and Kookie of 77 Sunset Strip is the most.

You are the tops and you are the most means you are the best. 

The hippies and surfers use to say this and it ended up on a Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs record:  "They're L7". You don't want to be "L7".  "L7" when place side to side resembles a square.  Don't be a square.  I was going to have my license plate say this but I was afraid nobody would figure it out: DONTBL7. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

take a powder

We've discussed this phrase here before. The origin: aspirin was originally dispensed as a powder by a druggist. Aspirin in a pill form was revolutionary- whattya know-exact dosages!

I also imagine if you complained of a toothache, the aspirin might include some codeine or something stronger like that. You still can find the independent chemist drug store who personally mixes your medications, it's becoming a real trend.

I can't IMAGINE how you administer a powder....dry powder on your tongue, then swallow with water? Or mix aspirin IN water, then drink it? Either way, it's horrible-thank goodness someone (Bayer?) designed single dosage aspirin pills.

• Like 2

There were some women( usually African-American for some reason) who used pain relief "powders" as recent as 1995( when I went on sick leave which eventually "morphed" into a medical retirement).  Were sold at local(to them) drug stores and at work would take them out of their purses in little packets that were folded exactly like the grams of COCAINE I used to buy in the late '70's-early '80's!  :D  Man, did I EVER have fun joking about THAT!  ;)

They'd mix 'em in water.  

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

In my hometown, there was an old 1930s pharmacy which one day during the Great Depression, had been suddenly shuttered and closed down. The family didn't want to run the business any more and they simply lived above the store. Then, when I was in college, one of the grand kids or great-grand-kids got permission to turn it into a cafe. The original fountain soda taps were still in working order for making ice cream sodas; so all they had to do was add a modern fridge and an espresso machine, snacks, etc.  They brought in some new tables and chairs. But they left everything else exactly the same. It was so cool stepping in there, sitting down for a gelato, and viewing all the original leaded-glass shelves and breakfronts stocked with scores of old-time remedies, products, and long-forgotten brand-names. Like a literal time-capsule.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Goody's headache powder is still sold in this area. The supposed benefit is that it's faster-acting than those in pill form.

extra-strength-fast-pain-relief-new.jpg?

Wow-looking at those ingredients...I'll BET it "relieves pain".

I used to take Tylenol Sinus Aspirin (same ingredients) until I realized not only did it take away pain, it took brain cells too! I'd be manic for 3-4 hours then fall asleep-wherever I was, even behind the wheel! (what a fun date)

Discontinued THAT crazy cocktail and just deal with sinus pain.

'going for a buggy ride' or 'just got back from a buggy ride' used to specifically mean, coming back from likely, a sexual rendezvous of some sort where both parties were willing. If you phrase this question the wrong way it could sound as if you're implying ...impropriety.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:59 AM, cigarjoe said:

More...

Chump Change

Shiv - knife

Haha I still use the term "chump change"....every week when I receive my paycheck.

And the term "shiv" is used regularly in prison.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought of a couple, not sure addressed here before, but heard in movies recently seen----

"Square" :  In the '50's "beatnick" jargon, the word was a kind of insult, referring to someone who wasn't "hip" or "with it".  But in the '30's and '40's movies, someone who was "square" was one who was reliable, honest and trustworthy. Like.... ,  "He's a square Joe!"  

" On the Up and up."  How did THIS one come about.  usually meaning "honestly" or legitimately, as in "On The Waterfront" when it's mentioned that once Johnny Friendly is out of the picture, the union "can be run on the up and up!"   Equal to; "on the level;)

And.....CAN there be a "Down and Down"?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Thought of a couple, not sure addressed here before, but heard in movies recently seen----

"Square" :  In the '50's "beatnick" jargon, the word was a kind of insult, referring to someone who wasn't "hip" or "with it".  But in the '30's and '40's movies, someone who was "square" was one who was reliable, honest and trustworthy. Like.... ,  "He's a square Joe!"  

" On the Up and up."  How did THIS one come about.  usually meaning "honestly" or legitimately, as in "On The Waterfront" when it's mentioned that once Johnny Friendly is out of the picture, the union "can be run on the up and up!"   Equal to; "on the level;)

And.....CAN there be a "Down and Down"?  ;)

Sepiatone

Those are good ones;   Maybe this one was already covered but I was hiking in the park last week and I passed a dad and a very young girl in a stroller that was asleep.    I said to myself;  must have been a long hike,  she is out-like-a-light.

I then though;  hey,  that would be a good one for the this thread!

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Those are good ones;   Maybe this one was already covered but I was hiking in the park last week and I passed a dad and a very young girl in a stroller that was asleep.    I said to myself;  must of been a long hike,  she is out-like-a-light.

I then though;  hey,  that would be a good one for the this thread!

Say, now there's one right there that's evidently still used by some today, James.

(..."must of" instead of "must have", that is) ;)