Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shirley Temple: 13 Facts You Should Know

cinecrazydc

This stuff is old news, lol.  John Agar was an abusive drunk whom punched Shirley out while carrying their first child Susan.  Imagine how the public would had reacted to that?!

Shirley was quoted...I never saw the fist coming.

Baby Burlesks are of bad taste but not provocative.  Were an attempt at early satire / parodies of movies i.e. "The War Wagon" , actresses, directors, etc.  Few people thinks it's an exploitation of kids....need to get their minds out of the gutter.

The one that puzzles me is "Polly Tix in Washington", whom are they ridiculing?  Tried to find some Washington, DC scandal during the early 30's that fits but came up empty - some Congressman got involved with a prostitute

About her birthdays, one Movietone newsreel showing her celebrating her 6th (she actually was 7).  She was not allowed to keep a single gift! :(

temple-birthday.png

Surprised they let her have some cake in that farce of a birthday party - misleading publicity!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMQ1NboDBkN6uhogvpw3k

A lot of info can be found in this book.

9785552185825-us.jpg

• Haha 1

During this White House visit, Shirley made a slingshot bulls eye on Mrs Roosevelt rear end  (I WOULD LOVE TO HAD SEEN THAT!).  The incident didn't go unnoticed by her mother whom gave Shirley an old fashion over the knee spanking with a ruler.  She claim it broke! ouch! :lol:

9b894806175af3c70aaaa61a67d7055b--eleano

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, hamradio said:

This stuff is old news, lol.  John Agar was an abusive drunk whom punched Shirley out while carrying their first child Susan.  Imagine how the public would had reacted to that?!

Shirley was quoted...I never saw the fist coming.

Baby Burlesks are of bad taste but not provocative.  Were an attempt at early satire / parodies of movies i.e. "The War Wagon" , actresses, directors, etc.  Few people thinks it's an exploitation of kids....need to get their minds out of the gutter.

I agree.  But I too see the "Baby Burlesks" as parody, not exploitation, but will state that I think children ARE the most shamelessly exploited in this country, and I'm NOT talking SEXUAL exploitation, but CORPORATE!  

How many times, for example, have you seen or heard advertising that instead of mentioning how economical or durable, reliable or high quality a product is, but instead parades a bunch of children (or babies) out and implies YOU'RE somehow lacking as loving parent  if you DON'T use their product?  It's a pretty commonplace practice.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Corporate marketing to children --creating 'cradle-to-grave' consumers--is indeed rampant. The problem is, too many bourgeois morons don't think its even a problem. They're the same kind of scumbags who place an Apple device right in their infants hand without a thought.

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I agree.  But I too see the "Baby Burlesks" as parody, not exploitation, but will state that I think children ARE the most shamelessly exploited in this country, and I'm NOT talking SEXUAL exploitation, but CORPORATE!  

How many times, for example, have you seen or heard advertising that instead of mentioning how economical or durable, reliable or high quality a product is, but instead parades a bunch of children (or babies) out and implies YOU'RE somehow lacking as loving parent  if you DON'T use their product?  It's a pretty commonplace practice.

Sepiatone

The hidden message in the old 1980's Michelin tire ads....Drive on other brand of tires, you're putting your child's life at risk.

0ca13c652328552a7e61da26cc78aa8f.jpg

That slogan would had been better suited here.

Too_191175_573732.jpg

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings