Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dayton, Ohio 1903

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nice observations about the Valkyrie here, MCOH. And re its landing gear, you might remember that the lone crash of the Concorde SST was attributed to parts of a blown tire being ingested into the engine while taking off.

(...and yeah, Randy sure DID write and sing on his hit recording of "I Love L.A."...and a song this here native Angeleno has always loved...always thought his tongue-in-cheek lyrics perfectly reflected the feeling of the city...and just like how when the Yankees or Knicks win a home game and they play Sinatra's recording of "New York, New York" over the loudspeaker as the spectators depart the venue, in L.A. after a Dodger or Laker home win, they play Randy's recording of his song)

Here's some discussion I found on the topic of the Concorde crash. 
http://www.askthepilot.com/untold-concorde-story/

Reading through this writeup and some of the more sober comments, it sounds as if there was a chain of unfortunate events that took place, not just a single one:

• aircraft overweight
  • crew laxed and not following all safety procedures
  • calculations not made by crew to compensate for changing headwinds
  • flight engineer initiated emergency engine shutdown procedures for two of four engines at worst time possible
  • aircraft flying too low to ground, too slow a speed, it "stalled" and fell out of sky
  • engine fires have happened before and they have also burned out before and without incident
  • runway surface damaged tire, near start of runway, runway was resurfaced soon afterwards (coincidence?  I think not)
  • metal object that allegedly hit tire near end of runway good match - but - tire would have been soft already, damaged by rough surface at start of runway
  • had aircraft been at optimal speed, it would have lifted off prior to area where metal object was
  • events happened too quickly, not enough time for crew to react

And so forth.

• Thanks 1

The best and truest depiction of Ohio in film is (as everyone knows) the city of Xenia, Ohio, which is the setting for Gummo (1997). Xenia is only 15 miles from Dayton and is part of the Dayton Metropolitan Area.

41 minutes ago, Swithin said:

The best and truest depiction of Ohio in film is (as everyone knows) the city of Xenia, Ohio, which is the setting for Gummo (1997). Xenia is only 15 miles from Dayton and is part of the Dayton Metropolitan Area.

Oh, c'mon here, Swithin!

Saying that this film is "the best and truest depiction of Ohio in film" in such a broad brush manner as this, would be like saying all native Californians are shallow and lack any intellectual depth at all!

Or for THAT matter, that all Manhattanites spell certain words in our language inclusive of that really dumb and needless British superfluous letter 'u' because they think it somehow makes 'em look "more sophisticated"!

(...I mean SURE, just 'cause SOME of us might fit these kinds of regional stereotypes, doesn't mean ALL or even a majority of those who reside, say in this case, in the great state of Ohio, are like the losers depicted in that really really weird movie here, dude!) ;)

LOL

51 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Nice...  You "do" realize I am from Ohio, don't you, Bonehead?

12 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Nice...  You "do" realize I am from Ohio, don't you, Bonehead?

I'm pretty sure our resident non-British/non-Canadian but STILL superfluous-u spelling friend Swithin here was just bein' facetious with that offering, MCOH.  ;)

14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I'm pretty sure our resident non-British/non-Canadian but STILL superfluous-u spelling friend Swithin here was just bein' facetious with that offering, MCOH.  ;)

I don't know.  For all the more intelligent things he/she has said in the past, that was kind of dense.

7 hours ago, Swithin said:

HMMMmmmm...........

THIS is what I mostly know and remember about Xenia, Ohio....

News photos and film made it look like the city was COMPLETELY GONE!

Glad to realize there were survivors and the city recovered.  BTW----

Never saw or heard of GUMMO

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh, c'mon here, Swithin!

Saying that this film is "the best and truest depiction of Ohio in film" in such a broad brush manner as this, would be like saying all native Californians are shallow and lack any intellectual depth at all!

Or for THAT matter, that all Manhattanites spell certain words in our language inclusive of that really dumb and needless British superfluous letter 'u' because they think it somehow makes 'em look "more sophisticated"!

(...I mean SURE, just 'cause SOME of us might fit these kinds of regional stereotypes, doesn't mean ALL or even a majority of those who reside, say in this case, in the great state of Ohio, are like the losers depicted in that really really weird movie here, dude!) ;)

LOL

Are you putting a negative connotation on those lovely Ohioans in Gummo

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

...Never saw or heard of GUMMO

You and me both, Sepia.

(...up 'til now the only "Gummo" I had ever heard of was one of Minnie's boys who dropped out of the act early on)

• Thanks 1
On 2/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, Sepiatone said:

HMMMmmmm...........

THIS is what I mostly know and remember about Xenia, Ohio....

News photos and film made it look like the city was COMPLETELY GONE!

Glad to realize there were survivors and the city recovered.  BTW----

Never saw or heard of GUMMO

Sepiatone

They had another devastating tornado 24 years later, with the damage done not too far from the 1974 tornado site.  I had friends at one of the colleges outside of Xenia. Less damage, only one fatality, I think, but it was scary to live through that again for many.

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2019 at 11:59 PM, Dargo said:

Oh, c'mon here, Swithin!

LOL

Correction, Dargo...you forgot to put the extra "u" in the town's name!

The original spelling of this town is Daytuon, Ohio. I know this because my friend who is a magician is from Daytuon, said that French settlers came there in the 1700's and named it, but later fools who didn't believe in powered flight, the Wrights or even evolution, wanted to drop the "u" and won out.

My friend has one other outstanding distinction also, she taught Rob Lowe magic when he was a child in Daytuon.

• Haha 1

Very talented songwriter. I've been to Ohio by the way; and I've even been in that Air/Space museum. It's a pretty state, (just as Colonel Kurtz insisted right before he died).

Anyway many fine vocalists often take Newman's songs and make them superb. Look out for Bonnie Raitt's definitive version of 'Guilty' and give an ear to the Holly Cole Trio doing 'Same Girl'.