Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite African-American stars?

No it wasn't JEJ, it was a gentleman with an almost Satchmoesque sounding voice. He had perfect diction, spoke slowly, and had an actor's expertise at finding the moment to project emphasis. I think the show had a crime theme, again this was probably six or seven years ago.

It's definitely a face that suggests great wisdom and dignity. :)

Yesterday I watched Bird, the biopic about Charlie Parker. What a great performance by Forest Whitaker! I never cease to be amazed by his talent. Everyone in the cast did a terrific job, and Samuel E. Wright was especially memorable as Dizzy Gillespie.

115849__bird_l.jpg

Forest Whitaker (as Charlie Parker) and Samuel E. Wright (as Dizzy Gillespie).

Haven't thought about City Confidential for a while. It was a good show by itself,

but Winfield's narration, sort of a sly winking 'that's the way things go,' with a touch

of humor, really added quite a bit to it. Sadly, he died in 2004, ending his wonderful

contribution to the program.

I'm sorry to say, I've never enjoyed City Confidential.

Another actress I thought should be included here, even though she's technically British, is Thandie Newton - after all, these days she spends a lot of her time playing African-American characters, including Condoleeza Rice in Oliver Stone's W..

thandie-newton_29521t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know we're supposed to be talking "classic", but I just caught up with "Doubt" and Viola Davis walked away with her big scene with Meryl Streep, which is no small feat. I hope we see a lot more of her.

• 1 month later...

Coming up Friday night, a tribute to Harry Belafonte:

*Carmen Jones* (1954) 8pm ET

A sultry factory worker seduces a young soldier then dumps him for another man.

Cast: Harry Belafonte, Dorothy Dandridge, Pearl Bailey, Olga James Dir: Otto Preminger C-105 mins, TV-PG

*Buck and the Preacher* (1972) 10pm ET

A con man helps a group of former slaves survive the perils of the wild West in their search for the promised land.

Cast: Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, Ruby Dee, Cameron Mitchell Dir: Sidney Poitier C-103 mins, TV-14

*The Angel Levine* (1970) 12am ET

An angel helps an embittered man find life's meaning.

Cast: Zero Mostel, Harry Belafonte, Ida Kaminska, Milo O'Shea Dir: J?n Kad?r C-106 mins, TV-G

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two great movies tonight with the great Sidney Poitier:

*Cry, the Beloved Country* (1952) 8pm ET

A South African minister travels to Johannesburg to find his missing son.

Cast: Canada Lee, Sidney Poitier, Charles Carson, Michael Goodlife Dir: Zoltan Korda BW-108 mins, TV-14

*The Wilby Conspiracy* (1975) 12am ET

An African activist and an Englishman join forces to battle a corrupt government official in South Africa.

Cast: Sidney Poitier, Michael Caine, Nicol Williamson, Prunella Gee Dir: Ralph Nelson C-106 mins, TV-14

• 2 weeks later...

Sidney Poitier is on the TCM schedule again this Tuesday:

*Lilies of the Field* (1963) 4pm ET

An itinerant handyman in the Southwest gets a new outlook on life when he helps a group of German nuns build a chapel.

Cast: Sidney Poitier, Lilia Skala, Lisa Mann, Isa Crino Dir: Ralph Nelson BW-94 mins, TV-PG

• 4 weeks later...

After watching Blue Collar, I've come to admire Richard Pryor in a way I probably could never have when I only knew him as a comedic actor. He shows quite a range in this Paul Schrader movie, one that is from a very distant past when people in the industry actually seemed to care for working-class Americans.