Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Costume Design 1968 Presentation

RoyCronin

3 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

I recall seeing this live.  It really happened: Romeo & Juliet, Lion in Winter, Planet of the Apes, among others (Oliver! and Star)   

I like it, I wish I had seen it.

"Romeo And Juliet" was a well deserved winner. I have seen all the films, these 3 were great. "Oliver" and "Star" had great costumes but were lesser films IMO.

10 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I like it, I wish I had seen it.

"Romeo And Juliet" was a well deserved winner. I have seen all the films, these 3 were great. "Oliver" and "Star" had great costumes but were lesser films IMO.

The music and choreography in "Oliver!" were unbeatable. The choreographer Onna White deservedly received an honorary Oscar for guiding the large cast through the musical scenes.

Related image

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I still cannot believe the costumes from FUNNY GIRL did NOT get nominated. They are contemporary, yet convincingly period. Feel how you want to about the film and everything, but the wardrobe is ON POINT.

200.gif

• Thanks 1

THIS WAS THE ONLY FOOTAGE I COULD FIND ON YOUTUBE. IT IS ONLY OF THE PART OF THE FASHION SHOW THAT FEATURED THE DESIGNS FROM OLIVER! THE QUALITY IS TERRIBLE- SOUND AND PICTURE.

THINK OF IT AS YOU WOULD FOOTAGE OF BIGFOOT- FAR FROM CONCLUSIVE THAT THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED, BUT COMPELLING NONETHELESS (TO SOME AT LEAST)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow. 

Still no Jane dancing the mashed potato with Dr Zaous (sp?)

if you imagine the whole thing is taking place to HERE COME THE HOTSTEPPER by INI KAMOZE you can almost see it working

EDIT:  Dr.Zaius. 

PS- Now I have that mashup they do of FALCO's AMADEUS with his name on the PLANET OF THE APES THE MUSICAL! scene from that episode of THE SIMPSONS where TROY MACLURE marries Selma.

I’m damn  sorry this didn’t become an annual tradition. 

I want to say they did something like this once more in1989. I think Paula Abdul was involved?

Oh what I wouldn’t give to see the casts of THE AGE OF INNOCENCE and RAN Shaking their money makers down the middle of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2019 at 9:47 AM, jakeem said:

The music and choreography in "Oliver!" were unbeatable. The choreographer Onna White deservedly received an honorary Oscar for guiding the large cast through the musical scenes.

Related image

I'm sorry that a few songs were cut from the movie, particularly "That's Your Funeral," which is a very enjoyable tune, sung in the original London cast by Barry Humphries (better known later as Dame Edna) and Sonia Fraser.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skimpole said:

What's really remarkable is that 2001: A Space Odyssey didn't get nominated at all (which it should have won).  Not only did its futuristic astronauts get ignored, but its ultra-realistic proto-humans were passed over in favor of The Planet of Apes. 

wait...you know what. I think it was someone explaining why 2001's costume design snub was worse than FUNNY GIRL's all those years ago and not their defense of PLANET OF THE APES's nod...

i'm remembering it now.

(we've discussed this specific topic before, it's one of the more interesting years in costume design)

in perusing the history of the costume design category, I am especially heartbroken that this "catwalk parade of the nominated designs to modern music" idea was not rebooted at the 1988 ceremony, when THE LAST EMPEROR, THE DEAD, EMPIRE OF THE SUN, MAURICE, and THE UNTOUCHABLES were the nominees. (Had (I GOT MY MIND) SET ON YOU by GEORGE HARRISON come out yet?)

(I think it's safe to say the cast of MAURICE would have BROUGHT THEIR A++ SASHAY GAME.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings