Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paul Newman as SOTM May 2019

Barton_Keyes

On 2/16/2019 at 10:14 AM, Brrrcold said:

I'm glad for this. But... THE HUSTLER? I mean...

Yea,  it would have been interesting if TCM showed The Hustler and then The Color of Money.

(ok,  I know who the main male star of TCOM is,  but still,  it would have been interesting).

29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That's one of the 5 Newman movies I haven't seen. The other 4 are:

• The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968)
  • Winning (1969)
  • WUSA (1970)
  • Quintet (1979)

I have a copy of Winning among my stuff to watch, and Quintet shows up on Amazon Prime occasionally. 

WINNING's a good Universal sports drama. I like WUSA, though it's not everyone's cup of tea. The story's a bit over the top, but the characterizations and performances are strong.

One film I've been curious about is the Newman-Woodward version of THE GLASS MENAGERIE from 1987.

TCOM is important because it won for Newman the AA for Best Actor (though, as you note, his role was really that of a Supporting Actor), after six nominations and no wins (including in THE VERDICT three years earlier, which some had been seen as the peak performance of his career.)

He gives a good performance in TCOM (not nearly as good as several others) and it's an entertaining movie - directed by Scorsese. It's worth seeing, but it's not nearly as good as THE HUSTLER, a great movie and a great performance.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, TopBilled said:

Yes, it would have been nice if one of the evenings had been devoted solely to Newman-Woodward pairings, including the ones he directed that starred her. Maybe if/when Woodward becomes Star of the Month, we'll see more of those films.

Dont count on that happening. (SOTM).

On 2/16/2019 at 10:51 AM, TopBilled said:

I think they aired THE HUSTLER once as an Essential. I'm sure it will turn up again.

They've aired it more than once, but it's not shown very often.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

That's one of the 5 Newman movies I haven't seen. The other 4 are:

• The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968)
  • Winning (1969)
  • WUSA (1970)
  • Quintet (1979)

I have a copy of Winning among my stuff to watch, and Quintet shows up on Amazon Prime occasionally. 

They are probably all Universal. I know 2 of them are. I've never seen Quintet, a Robert Altman film.

• 1 month later...

I was so pleased to see that Paul Newman is the star of the month for May. Then I read the movies and was so disappointed to not find the ones I haven’t seen yet like WUSA and Winning. And then there are the ones I have seen that are favorites but have never seen on on TCM (or rarely on any other channel for that matter) like Sometimes A Great Notion and Nobody’s Fool. My ex was just like Sully, and having the movie shot in my neighborhood I recognised the locations. I also remember the endless winter when it was being filmed.

Winning would be very cool to see. My husband raced against him at Lime Rock Park and lost, but Newman had the class to come up to him and mention that he broke a sweat seeing him in his rear view mirror. Around that time another close friend found him waiting in the checkout at the local market with a package of Oreos and a twelve pack of Budweiser. He winked at her and quipped, “breakfast of champions!’

Didn’t they just show The Chalice over Easter weekend? I finally steeled myself and watched it and it is indeed a very difficult film to watch, especially when you know Newman did some amazing work. He deserved the Oscar for Nobody’s Fool.

PLEASE, TCM, show those orphan movies.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings