Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Phantom Lady with Ella Raines

I just watched my tape of this the other night. It was shown on a night of Robert Osborne's picks at 8 PM and I believe I included it a "Great Movie Alert!".

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. And I thought Ella Raines was gorgeous in it. I hadn't remembered seeing her before, but I obviously had in both "Hail the Conquering Hero" and "Brute Force".

Ella Raines is also great in TALL IN THE SADDLE with John Wayne released in 1944. TCM has it. She's in another similar film with Vincent Price than showed on AMC but I cannot remember the name offhand. Talented lady who I remember did some television in the 1950's.

• 1 year later...

MS Raines was very good in a number of noirs other than Phantom Lady.She has a small but effective role as Whit Bissells wife in that classic Brute Force.She was also excellent with Wayne in Tall in the Saddle,a Western with a screenplay by frequent Wayne supporting player Paul Fix.

Other Robert Siodmak-directed gems are The Suspect(1944) with Raines and Charles Laughton and The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry(1945) with Ella Raines and George Sanders. Neither of these ever seem to be shown on the tube anymore, but it's worth tracking down on video. I wish that TCM could have a brothers Siodmak feature someday. Their films are fascinating.