Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prince and Michael Jackson as Chaplin

Moorman

I've always been a big fan of the musician Prince.  I knew back in the 80s that he was a classic movie buff but I never made the connection between him and Chaplin until I saw Limelight and this film.  Prince ( and Michael Jackson) practically "copped" Chaplin's whole style, look, and persona.  It got past me until I got into Chaplin.  Everything from his clothing, dancing and his comedy. I mean EVERYTHING about Chaplin, Prince and Michael took and added it into their styles.

Its soo blatant that Prince essentially REMADE Monsieur Verdoux as the 1986 film " Under the Cherry Moon."  I wondered back then about WHERE he got that plot and French setting from.  In UTCM Prince plays a French Gigolo ( sound familiar?) with a comedic sidekick played by Jerome Benton ( a member of several of Prince's bands.)  Prince changed it up a little though. He falls in love with heiress Mary Sharon ( Kristin Scott Thomas).  The ending of UTCM is his version of the ending of Limelight.

What tipped me off ( I was on the trail while watching City Lights) was a dancing scene in Limelight.  The Danseur Andre Eglevsky did a dance sequence and he made a move that I for YEARS wondered where Prince got the inspiration for.  I saw that move, lol.  THAT tipped me off to where Prince copped some of his dancing, styles, etc. from.  Its from Chaplin.  Prince even has a video called " The One" in which the first part is his version of "The Tramp" character calling on a love interest.  A modified version of this character is shown over the years in various Prince videos.  Michael Jackson has never hid his affinity for Chaplin.  He has numerous projects and dances that are clearly directed at Chaplin.

Prince performing on Ophrah Winfrey Show:

Animated GIF

Andre in Limelight:

Animated GIF

Chaplin in limelight:

Related image

Prince in Under The Cherry Moon:

Image result for under the cherry moon

Image result for under the cherry moon

Image result for prince as charles chaplin

Michael Jackson:

Image result for michael jackson as charlie chaplin

Related image

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings