Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SOTC was an okay musical. Yes, some people were put off by the fact that Marni

Nixon dubbed all of Jesus's solos, others were confused by the segue from +Bewitched,

Bothered, and Bewildered into Casey Jones+, but, all in all, it wasn't half bad.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Did they expect to see Gregory Peck and Laurence Olivier singing and dancing?

Not sure. However, I have seen Mr. Peck do a dance routine on television. I believe he was with Jack Benny and someone else, and their act was called "Two Bushels and a Peck." Of course, someone not familiar with old weights and measures would not get the joke.

Well, I see a few people are 'coming clean' with a list of "A List" type films they have not yet seen. So what the heck - I'm game. I mean, with well over 10,000 classic films out there, you can't see all of them, right? And even some big ones are likely to fall through the cracks - at least for a while.

Anyway, here are some films I'm embarrassed not to have seen yet:

The Man With the Golden Arm - just terrible of me since I am a Frank Sinatra fan and this is by all accounts one of his best films.

My Darling Clementine - I'm not a huge fan of westerns unless they have Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn or John Wayne in them (or James Garner - love those two Support Your Local....films!). And I'm even LESS of a Henry Fonda fan. So, while I actually own this one on DVD, I've just never gotten around to watching it.

The Grapes of Wrath - told you I wasn't a big Henry Fonda fan. :D

Alexander's Ragtime Band - I love Tyrone Power and have seen a ton of his films, but the mood has not yet struck me to put this one into my DVD player.

The Barkleys of Broadway - can't believe I've not gotten around to watching this Astaire & Rogers film.

The Little Foxes - one of the few pre-1950 Bette Davis films that I've not seen

La Dolce Vita - yes, I know it is a Fellini masterpiece. But it is also 3 hours long, and thus far, I've not been able to pump myself up to read subtitles for 3 hours. Even if the payoff IS Marcello Mastroianni.

Films that I've seen large parts of, but have never actually sat down and 'officially' watched all the way through, all in one sitting:

An American In Paris - I'm WAY embarrassed about this one!

The Americanization of Emily - and this, despite the fact that on Private Screenings, James Garner says this was one of his favorite films to make....and I LOVE James Garner.

They Were Expendable - mostly cus it's a way long movie.

Paths of Glory - well, unfortunately, the part I've seen of this film is like the last 40 minutes. And since the ending of this one is important, and I already know how it ends, I kinda have never seen the point of sitting down to watch the whole thing. One day I'll accidentally catch the beginning, I hope.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> I _love_ spending an evening with a bottle of wine and DVDs of *Can't Stop the Music, Xanadu* and *Roller Boogie* .

That's fine, as long as you're using those DVDs for coasters.

"I made this admission previously as part of a TCM Programming Contest -- never seen East of Eden OR Giant.

I also have never seen The Wild Bunch, Patton or The Long Voyage Home."

Is it any wonder? Look at what you are watching. No wonder Randy loves you! ;-)

> {quote:title=pktrekgirl wrote:}{quote}

> Paths of Glory And since the ending of this one is important, and I already know how it ends, I kinda have never seen the point of sitting down to watch the whole thing.

BAD reason. It's how the story is told that makes it great, not the ending!

I'm in the same boat with you all. I actually wait seeing some great films to really savor them later. It's no fun if you've seen EVERYthing and there's nothing left to discover.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> You all have to *admit* that the marquee in the photo reflects the anxiety my town felt after the devastating flood that hit on April 1977.

>

> *The Town That Dreaded Sundown*

> 28wf7vb.jpg

And the name of the town is...?

> I love spending an evening with a bottle of wine and DVDs of Can't Stop the Music, Xanadu and Roller Boogie .

How could you forget *Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band* ?

Although, if I wanted to blow people's minds, I think I'd pair *Xanadu* with the impossibly good-looking people in *The Young Girls of Rochefort*, another movie that bears no resemblance to any reality.

And as for evil double features, in a relatively distant Programming Challenge I included a double feature of *Our Daily Bread* followed by *Soylent Green*.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> I _love_ spending an evening with a bottle of wine and DVDs of *Can't Stop the Music, Xanadu* and *Roller Boogie* .

There is no disputing taste, but if that was the evening's line-up. I'd drain that bottle of

wine first.

Show no movies made after 1910.

Aaaaah, one of my faves: "PERSONAL BEST." I thought Hemingway did a good job.

That film played at a movie theatre I worked at in Brooklyn. Funny, I always used to run in during the same scene every night...you could hear a pin drop.

Not to frighten you all, and since my love of modern camp is now firmly established, but:

-There were _TWO_ Lambada-themed movies, which opened on the _same day_ in New York in 1990. I organized a big group to see both in the theatres with a huge lambada-themed party afterward. It gets better: they both opened on MY BIRTHDAY. (March 16).

For the uninitiated, both have a social message. *Lambada* has a high school teacher going incognito in the lambada clubs of L.A. to fight gang warfare and general student stupidity (or something), while *The Forbidden Dance* (the better one) has a tribal princess from South America coming to the US to teach the world about the destruction of the rain forest via the global media through her lambada skills.

-I _own_ DVDs or videos of *Forbidden Dance, Perfect, Xanadu, Can't Stop the Music, Lambada, Roller Boogie* -- and that's just the ones you guys mentioned. My friends, I own *Mr. T: Be Somebody, Or Be Somebody's Fool* !

-Last Friday I talked to one of the stars of the above camp classics at a barbecue about hosting a screening of his awful/wonderful film for charity.

I trust I can maintain your respect when discussing *Rashomon* or even *An American in Paris* --- as well as *Glitter* .