Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Justice in America?

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Grand juror in Breonna Taylor investigation said the grand jury didn’t agree that her death was justified,

a disclosure that came after a Kentucky judge ordered records in the proceedings released

to show if "publicly elected officials are being honest."
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

HB 3653: Police, Criminal Justice Reforms Bill Passed by Illinois General Assembly

Among the changes is the elimination of monetary bail

.............“I have long held that an essential mark of good governance is a willingness to change the laws that have failed the people of Illinois,” Pritzker said in a statement. “This criminal justice package carries with it the opportunity to shape our state into a lesson in true justice for the nation by abolishing cash bail, modernizing sentencing laws, instituting a certification and decertification system for police officers statewide, requiring body cameras, reforming crowd control response, and amplifying law enforcement training standards. I was proud to make ending cash bail and modernizing sentencing laws a legislative priority of my administration, and I have long pledged my support to the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus in their efforts to pass not just criminal justice reform and police accountability measures, but also to truly root out the systemic racism that pulses through all our nation’s institutions by pursuing greater equity in healthcare, higher goals in education, and deeper investments in economic opportunity for communities that have for too long been left out and left behind.".......

Among the changes is the elimination of monetary bail, which allows judges to release people before trial, with the exception of those charged with certain felonies or if the accused person presents a risk of harming others or fleeing.

Proponents of the measure argued that the state's current bail system disproportionately affects low-income people of color who are awaiting trial............

But some law enforcement officials opposed the measure.

"We think it will cause problems," said Ed Wojcicki with the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police. "We understand the rationale for it, but there needs to be a lot more serious concern and a lot more latitude for judges to determine whether someone might be dangerous to society before letting them out on bail.".......

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-politics/hb-3653-police-criminal-justice-reforms-bill-passed-by-illinois-general-assembly/2415799/

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, mr6666 said:

Texas TribuneVerified account @TexasTribune Feb 16

75% of people in Texas jails have not been convicted of any crime. Many can’t afford bail.

Those defendants sit in jail, waiting, while others who can pay go free. #txlege

======================================

Courts have called Texas bail practices unconstitutional. Will that push this year's reform efforts to success?

Two years after a bail reform bill died in the Legislature, new bail legislation has other factors working in its favor.

"........To illustrate what he considers a flawed system, he cited the case of a grandmother who was kept in jail for about two months on a $150,000 bond after allegedly shoplifting $105 worth of clothes for her grandchildren.

The bipartisan legislation filed Monday aims to help poor, low-level defendants get out of jail on free bonds and keep in jail those thought to be flight risks or threats to public safety. The proposed risk-assessment tool would have to be used within two days of arrest to help judges determine the defendant’s level of risk based on criminal history, not just the current offense. The bills are similar to last session’s, when legislation passed the Senate but died before reaching the House floor.

Whitmire blamed his 2017 bill’s failure on the powerful bail bond industry,.............

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/02/04/bail-reform-texas-legislature-bills-filed/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=1549649774&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1549892713&utm_content=1549996550&utm_content=1550257744

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

While I support this legislation, I disagree with naming it after George Floyd.  That will not help Senate GOPers (and maybe some Dems), law enforcement, state governments and the public to accept it.

Actually I am opposed to naming laws after people.

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

While I support this legislation, I disagree with naming it after George Floyd.  That will not help Senate GOPers (and maybe some Dems), law enforcement, state governments and the public to accept it.

Actually I am opposed to naming laws after people.

Note that the law only applies to Federal law enforcement cases and personal and thus it will have little impact since the vast majority of arrest and encounters are with state and local authorities.     Unless there is something in the bill that would restrict Federal funding to states \ counties \ cities that didn't adopt similar policies,   I don't think this will have much of an impact in red and purple states (and blues states like CA already have such policies).