Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The best romantic comedy ever

TopBilled

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 4:49 PM, MusicalsGalore said:

My vote would be "The Philadelphia Story ". Romantic Comedy at it's finest

While I'm a big fan of The Philadelphia Story,  I don't find a lot of romance in it.    In fact 2 out of the 3 romances are bogus  (Tracy and Kittredge,  no romance there for sure,  and Tracy and Mike,  which was mostly just booze and Mike being a flake).

Of course there is true-love between Tracy and Dexter,,,,,  but it isn't until the very end that we see any romance between the two.   

There is also the Mike and Elizabeth love affair;   little romance goes on between these two and Mike going back to her,,,,,well,,,, that is more pathetic than romantic.   (I feel sorry for the gal).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Some Like it Hot, without question.  And then, Bringing Up Baby.

All of the others listed here were terrific, and thoroughly charming, especially  Philadelphia Story.   But then, who doesn't like romantic comedy. I t's impossible to choose and I love them all.  Billy Wilder was the all time master of the genre of course, but George Cukor was a close second.  And the remarkable  Howard Hawks, truly a man for all seasons,  directed the hilarious Bringing Up Baby as well as I  Was a Male War Bride while making his fame directing westerns and noir films.  Hard to go wrong with Cary Grant of course, a master of comedy himself, with Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House, The Awful Truth, and His Girl Friday as well as Bringing up Baby.  He was pretty irresistible and it didn't hurt to look like that. One I'll always vote for is not mentioned here, probably because it's not "golden age" - and that's The Money Pit.  A little slapsticky at times, but charming. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Some Like it Hot, without question.  And then, Bringing Up Baby.

All of the others listed here were terrific, and thoroughly charming, especially  Philadelphia Story.   But then, who doesn't like romantic comedy. I t's impossible to choose and I love them all.  Billy Wilder was the all time master of the genre of course, but George Cukor was a close second.  And the remarkable  Howard Hawks, truly a man for all seasons,  directed the hilarious Bringing Up Baby as well as I  Was a Male War Bride while making his fame directing westerns and noir films.  Hard to go wrong with Cary Grant of course, a master of comedy himself, with Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House, The Awful Truth, and His Girl Friday as well as Bringing up Baby.  He was pretty irresistible and it didn't hurt to look like that. One I'll always vote for is not mentioned here, probably because it's not "golden age" - and that's The Money Pit.  A little slapsticky at times, but charming. 

I don't see many men seeing Bringing Up Baby as much of a romantic comedy due to the Hepburn character.    (unless one finds annoying romantic).

I view Bringing Up Baby as more of a screwball comedy than a romcom.     Funny but I just noticed that I have never selected one film for this thread.

My favorite romcon would be My Man Godfrey.      For Grant films it would be Holiday (even those the romance between Cary and Kate isn't shown until the last scene where they kiss).

• Like 1

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings