Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intriguing Low Life Characters

On 2/22/2019 at 4:00 AM, darkblue said:

Ratso Rizzo.

He was a lot smarter than Joe Buck.

Love Ratso Rizzo. I had a friend who used to imitate his walking around and beating on cars intruding on him, by beating on the hoods and saying "I'm walking here!!!!" Thanks, darkblue for a vivid memory of a great film.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

"Daddy" (Dehl Berti) the blind man below enjoying the sleazy strip show by smell & vibrations I'll assume in the Film Noir Hell Bound (1957)

20%2B%2BHell%2BBound%2B1957.jpg

Jordan (John Russell) below is a piece of work in the same film.

26%2B%2B%2BHell%2BBound%2B1957%2B-%2BCopy%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

I have not even heard of this film!

You are a compendium of off the wall film choices, CigarJoe and I mean that as the ultimate compliment.

I look forward to seeing this gem.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:09 PM, CaveGirl said:

My personal favorite is the carnal and manipulative, Barrett as played by Dirk Bogarde in Joseph Losey's exceptional psychological study called "The Servant". 

Barrett's complete takeover of of the mind and body of his employer, the aristocratic Tony [James Fox] is masterful. The whole film has an air of corruption and morbidity due to the deviant and diabolic behaviour of Barrett as he wields his power over all, except maybe Tony's girlfriend.

Nowhere near the same psychological murkiness as the mysterious Bogarde antagonist of 'The Servant', but just as creepy in his own way - and more deliberatively destructive, is the character played by Michael Keaton in 'Pacific Heights' (1990). 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, darkblue said:

Nowhere near the same psychological murkiness as the mysterious Bogarde antagonist of 'The Servant' , but just as creepy in his own way - and more deliberatively destructive, is the character played by Michael Keaton in 'Pacific Heights' (1990). 

Now that one I have seen and I agree totally with your assessment of Keaton's performance. There's something creepier about an actor who is basically wholesome being deceptively psychotic which always works. Thanks, darkblue.

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

I have not even heard of this film!

You are a compendium of off the wall film choices, CigarJoe and I mean that as the ultimate compliment.

I look forward to seeing this gem.

You are in for a treat. It's a lot of fun especially with June Blair's antics as Paula

03%2BHell%2BBound%2B1957.jpg

25%2B%2B%2BHell%2BBound%2B1957%2B-%2BCopy%2B%25282%2529.jpg

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Incubus (1966) black-and-white American horror film starring William Shatner recorded entirely in Esperanto.

Never seen it though, should check it out.

I've seen "Incubus", in fact I'm pretty sure I own it but bought it many years ago.

Not the greatest movie but still a fun watch.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 1:09 PM, CaveGirl said:

Though dastardly and vile [a lot like me] I must admit some movie characters are still quite enjoyable to watch work their wiles. My personal favorite is the carnal and manipulative, Barrett as played by Dirk Bogarde in Joseph Losey's exceptional psychological study called "The Servant". 

Barrett's complete takeover of of the mind and body of his employer, the aristocratic Tony [James Fox] is masterful. The whole film has an air of corruption and morbidity due to the deviant and diabolic behaviour of Barrett as he wields his power over all, except maybe Tony's girlfriend.

The introduction of Barrett's supposed sister, Vera [Sarah Miles] into the mix makes for a complete travesty of moral values, yet by the end of the film one is so immersed in such tales one feels a bit too numb to voice any complaints. Bogarde's performance is beyond reproach and adds to the fame of this movie.

Perhaps such low life people don't intrigue you, and if so you may choose to not participate in this thread. But if not, name your poison.

I have been waiting a long time to see The Servant!  

In keeping with dastardly and vile: Cockney villain Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast (2000).

5C76F929-E332-471D-8D0B-1C010B02CBC6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Can definitely spot a difference in the way 'creepy characters' are handled in modern movies vs classics era. Its almost as if in the older films, they thrive in spite of the filmmaker's intentions. They're not deliberately played up; its as if they're an afterthought or an embarrassment, or the inadvertent result of an actor shining. They're unglorified; have to be 'discovered' by sharp-eyed film buffs.

• Like 1

The Women....

Matty%2Bportrait%2B%2BBody%2BHeat%2B1981%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Matty (Kathleen Turner) Body Heat (1981) 

Dorothy%2BValens%2BBlue%2BVelvet%2Bset%2B04%2BBlue%2BVelvet%2B1986.jpg

Dorothy Valens (Isabella Rossellini) in Blue Velvet (1986)

first%2Bkilling%2B02.jpg

Fay (Joanne Whalley) in Kill Me Again (1989)

Dolly.jpg

Dolly (Virginia Madsen) in The Hot Spot (1990)

Image result for twin peaks Sheryl Lee panties

Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee) in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

Screenshot%2B%25283667%2529.png

Mona Demarkov the "Queen of Queens" (Lena Olin) in Romeo Is Bleeding (1993)

Missy%2BThe%2BWrong%2BMan%2B1993.jpg

Missy (Rosanna Arquette) in The Wrong Man (1993)

Screenshot%2B%25284735%2529.jpg

Bridget Gregory (Linda Fiorentino) in The Last Seduction (1994)

Mallory%2B01.jpg

Mallory (Juliette Lewis) in Natural Born Killers (1994)

Screenshot%2B%25283473%2529.png

Monique Roux (Laure Marsac) in Hit Me (1996)

renne%2B01%2B%2BLost%2BHighway%2B1997.jpg

Alice%2B0%2B%2BLost%2BHighway%2B1997.jpg

Patricia Arquette as Bettie Page-ish Renee top and blond bombshell Alice below in Lost Highway (1997)

Gina%2BGershon%2Bclose.jpg

Carol Lakewood (Gina Gershon channelling Ava Gardner) in This World, Then The Fireworks (1997)

• Like 2

Hahahahah! Awesome picture of Jack Elam, Cigarjoe.

One of my faves... This performance may seem a bit goofy at first, as Arch Hall, Jr. really gives an off-the-wall performance and makes a lot of crazy faces, but before long I stopped laughing at this character and it started giving me chills. Great acting? No actor in his right mind would ever act like this! Therefore he must be a real person! (Reality is perception.) *Shudder*

image.png.ca3566eefc7aea44ae2e84c19d4153d3.png

• Like 1

I'm not usually a fan of the bad guys in any movies, but here are some villains who intrigued me: (several posts. TCM forum aggravates me with how much kb you can upload at one time).

Arnold Schwarzenegger - T-800 (Terminator 1984)

Robert Mitchum - Max Cady (Cape Fear 1962)

• Thanks 1