Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Van Dine Shorts

TCM seems to be running a lot of the early 30s S.S. Van Dine shorts these days without mentioning them in the schedule, which is, to say the least, quite annoying. I caught "The Cole Case" purely by accident tonight, since I was recording "The First Auto", but there was another unscheduled Van Dine before the feature of which I caught only the last few tantalizing moments. Same thing happened last week. Why aren't these shorts listed in the online schedule?

> {quote:title=rkukan wrote:}{quote}

> TCM seems to be running a lot of the early 30s S.S. Van Dine shorts these days without mentioning them in the schedule, which is, to say the least, quite annoying. I caught "The Cole Case" purely by accident tonight, since I was recording "The First Auto", but there was another unscheduled Van Dine before the feature of which I caught only the last few tantalizing moments. Same thing happened last week. Why aren't these shorts listed in the online schedule?

rkukan , you are absolutely right! The Cole Case, which ran after the First Auto, but it's not on the schedule, just the Fox(animal) short. Like you I saw the last seconds of the short that must have run after the African Queen...damn. I did catch the Trans-Atlantic Mystery short, also with Donald Meeks purely by accident as well....

Message was edited by: ziggyelman

> {quote:title=rkukan wrote:}{quote}

> TCM seems to be running a lot of the early 30s S.S. Van Dine shorts these days without mentioning them in the schedule, which is, to say the least, quite annoying. I caught "The Cole Case" purely by accident tonight, since I was recording "The First Auto", but there was another unscheduled Van Dine before the feature of which I caught only the last few tantalizing moments. Same thing happened last week. Why aren't these shorts listed in the online schedule?

This is really irritating me as well. I catch a glimpse of the short, check the daily schedule and it's JUST NOT THERE. It's lousy, sloppy programming. They might not be the greatest shorts, but with all the travelogues they show, something a little more interesting is always welcome.

Well, while I agree with you about the Van Dine shorts being fun and in need of better 'advance notice' on the schedule, I take issue with the 'travelogues' not being interesting.

I actually COLLECT those FitzPatrick Travel Talks. I am an avid traveler myself (been all over the world - traveling is even more of a passion for me than film!) and I look forward to those Travel Talks because I enjoy seeing how some of the places I've been in the past 10 or 20 years looked 50 + years ago.

My point is that, while I agree with you about the Van Dine Shorts, don't assume that because YOU don't like the Travel Talks, they are uninteresting to all. ;)

• 4 months later...

> {quote:title=talkietime wrote:}{quote}

> The Studio Murder Mystery (1932), another of the Van Dine Vitaphone shorts, was shown this morning following The Thin Man. It seems to me than none of the Van Dine mystery shorts (shown beginning in May) has appeared in the online schedule.

They have listed some of the Van Dine mystery shorts in the online schedule in the past, but they're not consistent about it. I caught part of The Studio Murder Mystery today since I was recording The Thin Man, but I didn't get all of it.

I agree these should always be listed in the schedule. I wish they were available on DVD.

The Wall Street Mystery (1931), another of the Van Dine shorts, was shown this morning following Three On A Match (1932). This is another of the Van Dine mysteries that did not appear in the online schedule. As each of these shorts runs from 16 to 22 minutes I suggest scheduling recording of unaccounted for blocks of time adjacent to late silent movies or early talkies.

> {quote:title=talkietime wrote:}{quote}

> The Wall Street Mystery (1931), another of the Van Dine shorts, was shown this morning following Three On A Match (1932). This is another of the Van Dine mysteries that did not appear in the online schedule. As each of these shorts runs from 16 to 22 minutes I suggest scheduling recording of unaccounted for blocks of time adjacent to late silent movies or early talkies.

I wonder why they never put these on the schedule????

Did they run one after the silent film????

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Since the Suggest a Movie function doesn't seem to be working, I'm going to suggest some Van Dine Mystery titles here.

I'd love to see any (or all) of the following, as I've never seen them listed (much less played) on TCM:

The Symphony Murder Mystery (1932)

The Side Show Mystery (1932)

The Crane Poison Case (1932)

The Campus Mystery (1932)

What say you, shorts programmer? Is this doable? You'd be making many people (not just me) very happy. Thanks for anything you can do.

MickeyFender