Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

I just turned off the academy awards...

a complete mess. who's responsible? the advertisers or ABC? liberals in their constant relentless fanaticism to make movies and entertainment more socially conscious and cater to liberal politics has done this.

happy now liberal Hollywood? you have made America sick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I liked when the clearly disinterested host sarcastically said "Oh, this is a good one" before announcing the short documentary winner. :lol: 

does this mean that a period of a few months will ensue (on this classic movie website) when people will return to discussing classic movies? a few months at least? :(

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I liked when the clearly disinterested host sarcastically said "Oh, this is a good one" before announcing the short documentary winner. :lol: 

If it was John Mulaney, then that's a typical comment from him.

So, Nip turned off the Oscars, and went to play with his plastic collector models instead?

("'Harry, Harry!'...Look, I'm smashing the town!")  :D

31 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I never turned them on.

I was GOING to just stream an hour or two, but that little devil on my shoulder started noticing that Black Panther was getting Technical awards, and nudging me in the optimism...It deliberately does that to torture me.  :(

This year, I thought I was going to be the smartypants, and think "Okay, which is the second-place winner that's accidentally going to take the prize because of the Preferential-Voting problem?"
And I thought that was going to be Roma, because of all the Netflix-hate.

I did turn it back on and heard spike lee's acceptance speech where he blurts on about his own family geneology from mother Africa to how America was built emploring his fellow Hollywood elitists to do the right thing in 2020..

since when does he think they don't vote democrat? now on to the red carpet celebrating where they muse over poverty and the downtrodden while admiring their statuettes.

:D

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

a complete mess. who's responsible? the advertisers or ABC? liberals in their constant relentless fanaticism to make movies and entertainment more socially conscious and cater to liberal politics has done this.

happy now liberal Hollywood? you have made America sick.

You mean they reflected real life in 21st Century America!?  The horror of it all. 

FYI...This diversity has been part of the Country for 400 years.  Thank God for recognition of this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

eYou mean they reflected real life in 21st Century America!?  The horror of it all. 

FYI...This diversity has been part of the Country for 400 years.  Thank God for recognition of this.

blathering socially conscious dribble certainly does not make THEM saints with their mansions, swimming pools and WALLS.

while the rest of America lives their lives, pays their taxes and raises their families these pathetic money-worshipping disconnects work full time imagining the winning of a gold statuette is the pinnacle of THEIR human condition which is laughable.

If they were as socially conscious as they claim to be, they would use this show to bring people together. Rather than turn off half the country.

I would eagerly watch a program that is a celebration of film making. Something that appreciates the craft of acting, cinematography, direction, writing of screenplays etc... I knew I wouldn't get that here.

It seems more about who does the most outrageous act on the stage rather than what movie was great. At this point, its about the ratings on the show, and page views on the internet. That cheapens the whole deal for me.

• Like 2

and what does diversity in it of itself have to do with alleviating the conditions of poverty anyway? these rich phonies continue to have the gall to act like the awarding of these statuettes and the glory and fame attached to all this meaningless glitz has something to do with improving people's lives?

the whole thing is a party for rich Hollywood celebs who somehow imagine that their wealth makes them great humanitarians.

and they are wrong! the rest of America can still think well outside and far away from their narcissistic veil.

Aaah...I love it when the good ol' boys out there in "real America" get all fired up and start postin' away on the internet!

Always makes for some, ahem, "interesting reading".

(...along with a few laughs)

• Haha 5

I figured somebody must have said something bad about Hot Spell.

• Haha 6

Massive winds all day Sunday.  Still going on now, but greatly diminished.  Power was out much of the evening.

Wasn't about to watch it anyhow, and it is still Feb on TCM.  Good timing.  Sounds like I didn't miss a thing.

Winds hit NE Ohio
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/02/thousands-remain-without-power-in-cleveland-northeast-ohio.html

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Massive winds all day Sunday.  Still going on now, but greatly diminished.  Power was out much of the evening.

Wasn't about to watch it anyhow, and it is still Feb on TCM.  Good timing.  Sounds like I didn't miss a thing.

Winds hit NE Ohio
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/02/thousands-remain-without-power-in-cleveland-northeast-ohio.html

I don't know just where you are in Ohio, Moviecollector, but here in the Detroit area it got plenty windy too.  60+mph gusts in some places.  Luckily, didn't lose power in MY "Neck-a", but plenty of surrounding areas did.

After too many people I never heard of won awards for movies, shorts, animated features and background awards for other movies I also either never heard of or saw, and seeing too, that it JUST might have been adequately "PC" enough to ward off weeks of whining from some people, I switched to something else and just came back every now and then to see if I could catch the "In Memoriam" segment.  Wound up missing 'bout a minute of it.  AND didn't know WHO all those editors, writers, publicists etc. were to feel TOO sad about their passing, so......

And I STILL don't know, OR care WHO won "Best Picture" or Best Actress/Actor"  etc. and don't really care.

Y'know, what bugs me about all this "inclusion" stuff, and awarding more women and/or people of "color" and all is that I feel if they TRULY deserve it, then there IS no intelligent reason why they DON'T get rewarded.  And I truly believe that those people never WERE passed over due to any sort of Academy "racism" in what's long been known as "Super liberal" Hollywood.  Now, for one, would HATE to receive (let's say) an Oscar because of WHAT I am racially, and what color my skin is, than to be awarded for my quality of WORK.  Otherwise it's just HOLLOW,  which means the name of the TOWN should be HOLLOW WOOD, not Hollywood.   It all reminds me of( and getcha a "cuppa" 'cause this'll take a while) when two African-American Detroit city councilmen tried to force the Detroit Symphony Orchestra to hire more African-American musicians, claiming the orchestra was "intentionally" lax in hiring more black musicians in a city with an 80% black population.  I could see their point to a degree, but...

Auditions for the orchestra were "blind" auditions, the musicians auditioning behind a screen and those judging the auditions never aware if the musician is black, white, male, female, tall, short or even American or foreign.  So the councilmen were told that if MORE African-American musicians tried out for and PASSED the auditions, then they'd be hired.  Simple as that.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 4

8 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I never turned them on.

You mean you missed Raquel back in the '70s!?!

hqdefault.jpg

I thought the people in government got off very lightly.  The best joke was by Keegan-Michael Key who descended into the auditorium ala Mary Poppins but when he couldn't close the umbrella simply chose to throw it away.  Subtle but effective humour.

keegan-michael-key-oscars-getty-images-2

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I did turn it back on and heard spike lee's acceptance speech where he blurts on about his own family geneology from mother Africa to how America was built emploring his fellow Hollywood elitists to do the right thing in 2020..

since when does he think they don't vote democrat? now on to the red carpet celebrating where they muse over poverty and the downtrodden while admiring their statuettes.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/a26510948/spike-lee-angry-green-book-won-best-picture-oscars/

Spike Lee was 'visibly angry' when Green Book won Best Picture over his movie BlacKkKlansman, apparently

There's no hiding emotions here

Director Spike Lee scooped up the Academy Award for the Best Adapted Screenplay at last night's Oscars, but missed out on the Best Director and Best Picture categories.

The latter of which left him "visibly angry", according to reports, which claim he tried to storm out of the theatre after Green Book nabbed the top spot over his nominated film, BlacKkKlansman.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

You mean you missed Raquel back in the '70s!?!

hqdefault.jpg

I did watch back then ... for a couple of reasons.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

Aaah...I love it when the good ol' boys out there in "real America" get all fired up and start postin' away on the internet!

Always makes for some, ahem, "interesting reading".

(...along with a few laughs)

"Interesting Reading" and laughs are a great way to start the week.

Like every year, I watched until the end of the "In Memoriam" segment. During last nights's segment, my mom and I looked at each other in confusion as we only knew approximately nine people. The only people we recognized were Burt Reynolds, Albert Finney, Penny Marshall, Barbara Harris, Susan Anspach (Mark Goddard's ex), Tab Hunter (Anthony Perkins' ex), and Margot Kidder.

This has also been the third year in a row when an Oscar winning or nominated actor was excluded. Two years ago was Robert Vaughn. (I will never get over that one.) Last year was Dorothy Malone. And this year was Sondra Locke. I have a philosophy where Oscar winners and nominees should be included first before anyone else. But they seem to exclude more and more of their own every year.

• Thanks 2

I would watch these if they would keep the politics out of it...I could care less.   I'm conservative but I don't even want to hear conservative rhetoric from these people, or in sports I watch, ect.  

Why can't we just have the stars and sports to escape? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1