Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Curse of Kerr, IT RHYMES WITH STAR!

RoyCronin

I feel so sorry for Glenn. I saw her show up in that BOLD GOLD outfit with a 10 foot cape trailing behind her and thought to myself, “good thing she’s going to win. It would be humiliating as hell to lose in that outfit.”

You can’t just slink out of the theater quietly wearing a 10 foot long Cape made of gold fabric. Believe me, I know.

• Haha 4

I actually really do feel bad for Olivia Colman (sp?) 

Can you imagine how it must feel to explode from relative obscurity and then win an Oscar over somebody who’s been a household name for four decades? To have just a handful of roles in films (?) To your name, and to be from another country to boot...And then you sweep in and “steal” the award from somebody who everyone feels this is their year...?

I bet she hasn’t been able to enjoy one single minute of this.

(note- Too lazy to I am DB and I have zero familiarity with Olivia Colman (sp?), aside from the fact that she was on the British show BROADCHURCH- Which I am glad to inform anyone who hasn’t seen it: don’t. The ending is such an unbelievable let down

Henceforth, Olivia will be known as the actress who stole the Oscar from Glenn Close.

It's the fault of the darn media: they perpetuated the myth that Glenn was an absolute shoo in.

It will be in Olivia's obituary:  "Surprise Oscar Winner Instead of Glenn Close Has Passed Away."

• Like 1

Just now, RoyCronin said:

Henceforth, Olivia will be known as the actress who stole the Oscar from Glenn Close.

It's the fault of the darn media: they perpetuated the myth that Glenn was an absolute shoo in.

It will be in Olivia's obituary:  "Surprise Oscar Winner Instead of Glenn Close Has Passed Away."

I think that's a bit exaggerative. Why try to steal the limelight away from someone whose own achievement is worth honoring. 

The fact they were all nominated is a win in itself.

If there's a curse, it's on people like Edward G. Robinson. The ones who are consistently great and never get any nomination despite making over a hundred films and being a household name for decades.

• Like 1

Glenn Close should have. But then she's still in good company with other non-winners like Gloria Swanson, Lillian Gish, Greta Garbo, Marion Davies, Rosalind Russell, Deborah Kerr, Myrna Loy, Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, Bette Midler, Ida Lupino, Carole Lombard, Jean Arthur, Marlene Dietrich, Betty Grable, Liv Ullmann, Ava Gardner, Judy Garland, Eleanor Parker, Dorothy McGuire, June Allyson, Lauren Bacall, Bebe Daniels and so many others.

Methinks you're all underestimating Olivia Colman. Her Oscar win is even more impressive when you consider the fact that her filming schedule for Series 3 of "The Crown" made it difficult for her to campaign and do publicity for "The Favourite."

She also might have won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar handily. But she elected to compete in the Best Actress category so that co-stars Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz might have better chances as supporting contenders.

I didn't necessarily believe she would win. But I didn't rule it out, either -- particularly after her BAFTA win two weeks ago.

Never forget that many members of the Academy are British!

And Oscar voters love portrayals of British royalty. 

• Like 1

One of the "problems" Glenn Close has had in terms of the Oscar is that ever since FATAL ATTRACTION and 101 DALMATIANS she has been regarded more as a character actress, instead of a leading lady. She could probably win easily in the supporting category if she promoted herself the way character actresses normally do.

But she's won other kinds of awards. There's a wiki page created just for all her awards. She's hardly been left empty-handed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Glenn_Close

Three Golden Globes, three Emmys, two Satellite awards, two Screen Actors Guild awards, a Drama Desk award, an Obie award, plus countless "lesser" awards.

I knew Olivia Colman from Hot Fuzz (2007), as well as Tyrannosaur (2011). She was good in both, particularly the latter film. I've also seen her in The Iron Lady (2011), Hyde Park on the Hudson (2012), The Lobster (2015, from the same director as The Favourite), London Road (2015), and Murder on the Orient Express (2017). I know that she's done a ton of TV in the UK, and is very well known over there.

I'm glad for her that she won, but yeah, I felt sad for Close, too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I knew Olivia Colman from Hot Fuzz (2007), as well as Tyrannosaur (2011). She was good in both, particularly the latter film. I've also seen her in The Iron Lady (2011), Hyde Park on the Hudson (2012, as Queen Elizabeth II), The Lobster (2015, from the same director as The Favourite), London Road (2015), and Murder on the Orient Express (2017). I know that she's done a ton of TV in the UK, and is very well known over there.

I'm glad for her that she won, but yeah, I felt sad for Close, too.

Colman portrayed Queen Elizabeth's mother -- also named Elizabeth -- in "Hyde Park on Hudson." 

I thought the actress was sensational in "The Night Manager," a British espionage miniseries based on John le Carre's 1993 novel. It aired here in the States in 2016 on AMC. She won a Golden Globe for her performance as Tom Hiddleston's handler. 

She really was pregnant during the filming of the production, which must have been a drag while traveling to locations such as Morocco. The pregnancy prompted a script change, but it wasn't such a big deal. In Le Carre's novel, Colman's character is a man.

She gave birth to her third child, a daughter, in August 2015 -- one month after the filming of the miniseries was completed.

tumblr_inline_o6z4wy8VSH1tnywua_540.png.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

During this 1994 honorary Oscar handoff, Deborah Kerr transfers the curse of winlessness to Glenn, who must now wait for Amy Adams to bestow the same honor on her, when the time comes.

KERR.jpg.01ff268fb54fbfa9034fb66594da32e3.jpg

LOL! I'd forgotten Glen gave the Honorary Oscar to Kerr......

We know how hard it is for older actresses, and actors, to find meaningful roles. So, being the professional and wise woman she is, I'm sure Glenn is grateful that such a wonderful opportunity as The Wife came along.  Not winning an Oscar will not diminish her great contributions to film.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, drednm said:

Glenn Close should have. But then she's still in good company with other non-winners like Gloria Swanson, Lillian Gish, Greta Garbo, Marion Davies, Rosalind Russell, Deborah Kerr, Myrna Loy, Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, Bette Midler, Ida Lupino, Carole Lombard, Jean Arthur, Marlene Dietrich, Betty Grable, Liv Ullmann, Ava Gardner, Judy Garland, Eleanor Parker, Dorothy McGuire, June Allyson, Lauren Bacall, Bebe Daniels and so many others.

Day, Midler, Lupino, Arthur, Grable, Gardner, Parker, McGuire, Allyson and Daniels in my view did not come remotely close to deserving an oscar.

1 hour ago, skimpole said:

Day, Midler, Lupino, Arthur, Grable, Gardner, Parker, McGuire, Allyson and Daniels in my view did not come remotely close to deserving an oscar.

Au contraire, Day gave one of the best performances of 1953 in CALAMITY JANE; Midler of 1979 in THE ROSE; Gardner in 1964 with NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, and Lupino with THE HARD WAY (1943) and DEEP VALLEY (1947)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Au contraire, Day gave one of the best performances of 1953 in CALAMITY JANE; Midler of 1979 in THE ROSE; Gardner in 1964 with NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, and Lupino with THE HARD WAY (1943) and DEEP VALLEY (1947)

Not to mention Love Me or Leave Me!

24 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have to agree that "did not come remotely close to deserving an oscar." is over-the-top.

• Like 1

All I said was they never won.... Add Norma Talmadge, Sylvia Sidney, Margaret Sullavan, Lana Turner, Rita Hayworth, Paulette Goddard, Jeanne Moreau, Gina Lollobrigida, Melina Mercouri, Judy Davis, Butty Hutton, Alice Faye, Margaret Lockwood, Natalie Wood, Ann Sheridan, Joan Blondell, Betty Compson, Mae West, Irene Dunne, Barbara Stanwyck, Constance Bennett, Joan Bennett, Lizabeth Scott, and Veronica Lake.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings