Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Celebrating Olivia Colman

TopBilled

Britbox created a special theme for Olivia Colman today.

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.31.39 PM.jpeg

All 19 episodes of her sitcom Rev are available, along with a season 12 episode of Midsomer Murders in which she appeared...plus a season 2 episode of The Office.

If you click on the theme, it says "Congratulations Olivia Colman! Celebrating our favorite actress Olivia Colman's big Oscar win, here's some of her earliest comedic works..."

• Like 2

No matter how powerful here work in THE FAVORITE it was still a massive stunning upset   Another thing of handicapping is that it's more difficult overall for a 1 nominated film & role to win vs that BP pull

Close still doesn't have the losing recrd for a performer, that honor "ridiculously" still goes to fellow Irishman Peter 0'Toole-(l932-2013) with (0 for 😎& Burton is also (0 for 7)

I wouldn't call it a stunning upset. It seemed like Close may have had the edge, but Olivia was right up there too. Not like she was a dark horse or anything. And her film was seen by a lot more people than The Wife...

• Like 1

The entire concept of an upset is folly.   Unless one has polling data (e.g.  there was a random poll taken of Academy voters done before the ceremony and one nominee had a 10% 'point' lead),  how does one know there was an 'upset'?      That calls for the knowing how others would vote which is impossible without data.

So to me 'upset' is all in one's own mind (and this applies to the media and those that wrote the articles that say a specific actor is going to win,  for-sure).     I.e.  it wasn't an upset;  their prediction of how others would vote were just incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hedda Hopper picks out her own "Superlative Academy Awards", March 1941

Best All Around Man: Clark Gable

Best All Around Woman: Roz Russell

Handsomest Man: Bob Taylor    Thinks he is: Errol Flynn  The Prettiest: Victor Mature

Most Beautiful Woman:  Hedy Lamar  Thinks she is:  Madeleine Carroll

Most Talked About:  Paulette Goddard

Most Talked Against:  Paulette Goddard

Most Respected Man:  Bing Crosby and you all know why

Best Performances, Male or Female: Thomas Mitchell, Angels Over Broadway, The Long Voyage Home

Treats Fans Best:  Joan Crawford

Treats Fans Worst: Virginia Bruce

Best Lover:  Charles Boyer

Thinks He Is: Ray Milland

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The entire concept of an upset is folly.   Unless one has polling data (e.g.  there was a random poll taken of Academy voters done before the ceremony and one nominee had a 10% 'point' lead),  how does one know there was an 'upset'?      That calls for the knowing how others would vote which is impossible without data.

So to me 'upset' is all in one's own mind (and this applies to the media and those that wrote the articles that say a specific actor is going to win,  for-sure).     I.e.  it wasn't an upset;  their prediction of how others would vote were just incorrect.

I agree. Plus we don't know how far Glenn Close lagged behind in the voting. She could have tied for second with one of the others, or even been third. We have no idea how the votes were actually cast.

It's not like this was Close's last chance for an Oscar. 

It's an "upset" because some people had pre-determined an outcome that was obviously not in tune with the reality of this year's voting. 

In the meanwhile it's not fair, not right, to undermine Colman's own achievement.

They (whoever they are) did this in 1989 when Daniel Day-Lewis upset Tom Cruise. Fortunately Day-Lewis earned more accolades and ended up outshining Cruise. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings