Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

lazy slackers

NipkowDisc

the ad banner for the academy awards is still running. it's now the 26th two days later.

can tcm tell time?

"yes, I got the time straight with mulligan. whether mulligan can tell time or not is another question." -clint eastwood, Kelly's heroes.

:D

Image result for mulligan kellys heroes

• Haha 1

Well, in my old Southwest Detroit neighborhood there was a guy who kept his lights up year 'round.  Just never plugged them in and turned them on until the season.  There were so many of them that to take them down and put them back up routinely would be too much.  But yeah, you see all kinds of different situations.  Like HALLOWEEN decorations still up past THANKSGIVING, and THOSE too, up till Christmas and after, etc.

Sepiatone 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, in my old Southwest Detroit neighborhood there was a guy who kept his lights up year 'round.  Just never plugged them in and turned them on until the season.  There were so many of them that to take them down and put them back up routinely would be too much.  But yeah, you see all kinds of different situations.  Like HALLOWEEN decorations still up past THANKSGIVING, and THOSE too, up till Christmas and after, etc.

Sepiatone 

There is an old neighborhood way across town from me where some do that, supposedly old hippies and young hipster types.  The last time I went through there it was because I got lost after taking a wrong turn.  It was mostly just strings of white Christmas lights on trees/bushes around the houses, in the middle of the Summer.  Presumably lighted all year long.

We do some Christmas lighting during the season, nothing real spectacular.  There are plenty of young families raising kids around us and many of them like to celebrate.  The town square has a nice display of lights too.  It all comes down at the end of the season though.  Pride of ownership and so forth...

It may look presentable elsewhere around this great country of ours; but strictly speaking for myself (and what I see in my neighborhood) it looks mighty crass. I wish there was a zoning code against it--seems like there oughta be. These are religious demonstrations, after all. And it makes a residential area look cheap --like a seedy commercial strip.

Why, on some blocks--get this--a new trend for some homeowners is even going so far to incorporate advertising signs into their holiday displays. I'm not kidding. They let companies add signs on their yard. Not just a sign advertising the company who designed and installed the display (the homeowners don't even do this themselves, they hire it done) they solicit signage for any business who wants to take advantage of the location.

They oughta be horsewhipped and run out of town on a rail.

3 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

It may look presentable elsewhere around this great country of ours; but strictly speaking for myself (and what I see in my neighborhood) it looks mighty crass. I wish there was a zoning code against it--seems like there oughta be. These are religious demonstrations, after all. And it makes a residential area look cheap --like a seedy commercial strip.

Why, on some blocks--get this--a new trend for some homeowners is even going so far to incorporate advertising signs into their holiday displays. I'm not kidding. They let companies add signs on their yard. Not just a sign advertising the company who designed and installed the display (the homeowners don't even do this themselves, they hire it done) they solicit signage for any business who wants to take advantage of the location.

You should write a note about it and leave it at the guy's home. Sign it with another neighbor's name just for good measure. :lol: 

• Like 1

There used to be a guy in neighboring ALLEN PARK, MI who had a spectacular Christmas display( big wooded "sleigh" props, candy canes, reindeer and etc., Even had a guy(when the homeowner got too old) sit in a special little hut playing SANTA.  Then back in the early '90's, some AY-NAL yuppies eventually moved into most of the other houses on the block and started whining about the parking situation on the street for only once a year, and the city made the guy (after FORTY YEARS!) break down and cease putting up and on his display. :angry:

According to family friends who back in the late '80's moved down the block from the guy( and who too, thought the whole thing was great!) the old gent who did that for decades did pass on 'bout 2000-2002, and no family member kept the house.  :(

Sepiatone

On 2/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Here's my holiday beef. It is bad enough when the homeowner covers all bases and has Santa and reindeer on the roof and the Nativity scene in the front yard, but what makes it ludicrous is when the figures are of different sizes, like Santa is like 12-feet tall and Joseph and Mary are 2-feet high and look like they are pygmies.

When I was in high school a friend, stole the baby Jesus out of the local college manger and left a ransom note, saying "If you want the kid back, it will take some big bucks!"  thinking it was really funny. And it was...but then became a big local story on the news and our high school nuns, said "What kind of awful fellow would have done such a thing?" not knowing it was actually one of their young lady students. We all were sworn to secrecy and had to go out at midnight and put the baby back in the manger so as not to get arrested.

But at least that manger scene had proper sized figures, except for Round John Virgin, who was rotund and mentioned in the song "Silent Night".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Here's my holiday beef. It is bad enough when the homeowner covers all bases and has Santa and reindeer on the roof and the Nativity scene in the front yard, but what makes it ludicrous is when the figures are of different sizes, like Santa is like 12-feet tall and Joseph and Mary are 2-feet high and look like they are pygmies.

Funniest thing I saw was where a family was in the process of moving out and relocating, but they hadn't unloaded the house yet.  The house was close to the street, they had a shallow front yard and in front of the house about 5 or 6 REALLY BIG plastic internally illuminated figures.  Santa, Frosty, and whatever else.  Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menard's inventory all the way.  No lights on the trees, fence. house, or elsewhere - just these things in the middle of the yard.  Some of them had blown over in the wind, still lit up.  They sat there like that for the entire Christmas season.  Okay, there might be the chance someone straightened them out, but then again maybe not.

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Funniest thing I saw was where a family was in the process of moving out and relocating, but they hadn't unloaded the house yet.  The house was close to the street, they had a shallow front yard and in front of the house about 5 or 6 REALLY BIG plastic internally illuminated figures.  Santa, Frosty, and whatever else.  Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menard's inventory all the way.  No lights on the trees, fence. house, or elsewhere - just these things in the middle of the yard.  Some of them had blown over in the wind, still lit up.  They sat there like that for the entire Christmas season.  Okay, there might be the chance someone straightened them out, but then again maybe not.

Cool a real Kitchy Khristmas

17 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Cool a real Kitchy Khristmas

I like decorating for Christmas.  Getting the older stuff out that has memories, and adding some newer stuff to it here and there.  LED light strings have come a long way, the first generation looked rather LED-ish to me, even from a distance.  I notice the little aesthetics like this.  Differences between the quality of light from different strings of bulbs, etc.  I like to look at the way the little light bulbs illuminate the things around them in free space, from the front, the sides, and behind.  I prefer mercury glass tree ornaments over cheaper plain glass or plastic ones, and so forth.

So every single time I drove past this house, I let out a belly laugh.  It kind of put me in a silly mood.  Maybe an eyesore for the next door neighbors, then again maybe they could have been laughing too.

• Haha 1

Gah! The whole cheap, insincere, plastic tradition of front-yard displays simply screams crass bad taste. These 'big display' people don't partake in a single Christian-minded or charitable act all year long; and probably are the very same cold, cell-phone scumbag rationalists who rail all year long against religion because its 'backwards' and 'regressive'. Holiday extravaganzas are the last refuge of the bourgeois. They need a grenade launcher response from some passing Muslim.

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Gah! The whole cheap, insincere, plastic tradition of front-yard displays simply screams crass bad taste. These 'big display' people don't partake in a single Christian-minded or charitable act all year long; and probably are the very same cold, cell-phone scumbag rationalists who rail all year long against religion because its 'backwards' and 'regressive'. Holiday extravaganzas are the last refuge of the bourgeois. They need a grenade launcher response from some passing Muslim.

WOW!

Hey Sarge! Tell ya what!

After readin' your above posting here, I'm thinkin' just before this year's holiday season rolls around, I'll suggest you be cast in the lead role of your local community theater's production of A Christmas Carol.

I think you'd be a NATURAL for it, dude!

(...and so in the meantime, if you'll forward me your local community theater's email address, I'll hold onto it until, say, early November and when I'll take care of this for ya)

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-worthless-without-pics.gif

Oh wait, that pic is of no use to you in your world.  Here's a tiny url link for your benefit
https://tinyurl.com/y4q23aoc

• Like 1

I think you'd be a NATURAL for it, dude!

--Fargo

Its a hot-button topic with me, I admit. The hypocrisy of these 'good neighbors' who make showy demonstrations of holiday 'enthusiasm' for three weeks out the year ...but at all other times, lazily spurn any real meaning or spirit of this very holiday they profess to admire so much. Blatantly 'saying' one thing but then 'doing' another...bah! Its difficult to swallow back down on the gorge and spleen which rise to the back of my throat, in this case.

Barrels of hot tar and cockerel feathers on every corner might teach 'em a lesson maybe...or just (in my wildest fantasies) simply hang every such householder from the nearest lamppost with a stout length of hemp...

13 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Do you like this song by Gretchen Wilson?

'Cause I'm **** woman
I ain't no high class broad
I'm just a product of my rasin'
And I say "hey y'all" and "Yee Haw"
And I keep my Christmas lights on my front porch all year long
And I know all the words to every Charlie Daniels song
So here's to all my sisters out there keeping it country
Let me give a big "Hell Yea" from the **** girls like me
Hell yeah

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings