Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Misleading Titles

Well, I don't know about any of that. Appearances, I mean. And I don't know who those stars are or what that show was. I'm just making my analogy based on the way you deliver your insights and present your opinions and ideas. Its very 'Mull-like'. Mull was a comedian of ideas in the tradition of...oh, say...Mort Sahl.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler alert: In Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff (1949), neither of the three actors were portraying themselves, and Karloff did not portray a killer.

If Robert Louis Stevenson's schizophrenic title character would have agreed to appear in Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953), he might have been disappointed to learn it was really two people he was meeting.

Funny in numbering the titles of sequels that the makers of Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues (1984) were apparently unaware that there had already been a second entry in the saga, Return to Boggy Creek (1977), even though it boasted a Dawn Wells performance. Still not as much of an offense as failing the promise that Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) actually would be, after which Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) woudn't be either. 

Lovers of nature adventure films might have been disappointed to have never seen the Ice Station Zebra (1968) that the title promised. And Frankie and Annette were sorely missing in On the Beach (1959).

In the 1962 and 1991 versions, neither Robert Mitchum nor Robert De Niro wore anything that should have evoked Cape Fear.

And although they omitted the question mark, nobody ever replied to the query How Green Was My Valley (1941). The question mark absence also causes confusion with Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1989) as to whether "Who" might the Abbott and Costello routine character.

I wonder if I'm the only one who thought The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) had one of the most feeble excuses for a title. My UPS guy almost never rings the bell and is gone before I know there's a package.

Vincent Price insists in the last moments of the movie that he is The Last Man on Earth (1965) even though he apparently isn't.

I also don't recall any of the characters engaging in the title activity in American Graffiti (1974), such that it is never clear if it is the form of the word referring to the artist or the result. Similar to the question of whether, in The Cider House Rules (1999), "Rules" is a noun or a verb.

In response to why he called his film Bananas (1971), Woody Allen responded because there weren't any bananas in it. Which makes about as much sense as the Marx Brothers titles Animal Crackers (1930), Horse Feathers (1932) and Duck Soup (1933).

One expects total specificity in such a military atmosphere as served in The Thing From Another World (1951), which leads one to wonder, if ordered to give a full report of the movie's events while excluding the top secret location, commanding officer Kenneth Tobey may have simply written "I went to the place, and did the Thing."

And what exactly was The Bravados (1958) supposed to mean? Perhaps the alternate title would be The People Exhibiting a Pretentiously Swaggering Display of Courage?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 12:32 AM, Spritz Nipper said:

Shadow Of The Thin Man: The titular "Thin Man" dies off-screen early in "The Thin Man".
The Thin Man Goes Home: See above.
Song Of The Thin Man: See above.
Thirteen Women: Only eleven women of the original thirteen women made it to the final cut of the film.

He or anyone like him are not in any of "The Thin Man" movies.

Skinniest-Person-in-the-World-1-1024x576

Edited by hamradio
On 3/26/2019 at 5:51 PM, Defenestrator said:

I wonder if I'm the only one who thought The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) had one of the most feeble excuses for a title. My UPS guy almost never rings the bell and is gone before I know there's a package.

I agree.  And my postman(and sometimes woman) also never rings the bell.  Not ONCE! :angry:  And too......

I NEVER found out WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN.  ;)  and BTW.....

I always thought the movie title BANANAS came about because at the time it came out, "bananas" was a popular pop culture referral to being crazy.  As in:  "He's BANANAS if he thinks/wants/does(or whatever) that!"  And the flick DOES have a bit of craziness about it, eh?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

But there is a black man pretending via telephone to be a Klansman, hence the title actually makes sense?

That's a bit of a stretch. Thinking about him in the pointed head outfit.

22 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,  the pointed head outfit was only their formal wear.

So then what was their informal wear they wore to barbecues and birthday parties?

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Now there's one staring me right in the face, "Blazing Saddles". No where in the film were there a saddle set alight. :lol:

Now THAT'S a good one here, ham.

(...oh and btw and regarding that whole "BlacKkKlansman" thing...you have to remember here that movie titles such as "I Was a Communist for the F.B.I." went out of fashion just about the same time as tail fins on cars stopped coming out of Detroit's auto factories, and so I'm sure Spike Lee knowing this had decided against the title of his movie being something like, "I Was a Black Klansman for the Colorado Springs Police Department") ;)

• Like 1

I didn't go through all of these, but I'll mention( and hopefully not again) that...

I didn't see ANY dog being wagged in one movie. :blink:

Or ANY Graffiti, American or otherwise ANYWHERE in that old movie. :o

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Here infiltrating the Klan didn't worked out as planned. ;)

:D  Slept through 3rd grade English did we?  B)  DID you mean "here", or "HEAR"?  And "work" instead of "worked"?  :D  

You've been spending too much time on "SchlockBook".  ;) 

Sepiatone