Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doesn't make any sense. Little early for an April Fool's joke isnt it? Sunset Boulevard is a movie which specifically works based on the handful of famous, still-surviving silent-era stars who were alive in the early 1950s. Any other way of doing it is moronic. On both sides of the camera.

3 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Doesn't make any sense. Little early for an April Fool's joke isnt it? Sunset Boulevard is a movie which specifically works based on the handful of famous, still-surviving silent-era stars who were alive in the early 1950s. Any other way of doing it is moronic. On both sides of the camera.

Didn't we already post the Andrew Lloyd Webber clip from the Tony Awards (that is the version they're doing and why they're casting Glenn, just so y'know) the first time this headline came up?  Eh, maybe you weren't here for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8FlHiArWvk

4 hours ago, drednm said:

Can nomination #8 be in the offing?

WHY do people immediately think any movie musical announced is A) going to have "Oscar buzz", B ) a shoo-in for (Meryl Streep or other actress) in the lead, and C) "guaranteed front runner" if it comes out in December?

The first two I could put down to traditional DNA memories of "Oliver" and "My Fair Lady" being Best Pictures and B ) a combination of gay/Golden Globes hype for "Into the Woods" and "Les Miz", but C) can only come from a generation that still doesn't know why "Chicago" won in '02 and is still superstitious.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I'll believe it when it starts filming........this has been just talk for years.

I know, right? But I've read a couple articles that say it's happening happening, like EVITA '96 happening FOR REALSIES THIS TIME.

I still don't see it being a hit though.

Well, we saw how Evita turned out. No, I dont either (hit). I'm curious if they will keep it in period or tinker with it. Going to be an expensive production.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I know, right? But I've read a couple articles that say it's happening happening, like EVITA '96 happening FOR REALSIES THIS TIME.

I still don't see it being a hit though.

I agree with Lorna and the one thing I think about, is...when Gloria played the part she was about 50 or 51 years old and Holden was around 32 I think, whereas Glenn Close is currently 71 years old I think.

I love Close and think she looks great, but that does somewhat change the dynamic of the situation. Norma was only supposed to have been out of films for a number of years after silents were over [when she was in her twenties] which would have been correct for the 1950 time frame. That means she retires for about 20 years from movies, life and all.

If Norma was instead around 71 like Close, that would mean she left films at around the age of late twenties, and has a reclusive period of about 40 years.

I doubt Max would still even be alive then to be her man servant, who had the energy to be sending all those fan letters to her! Plus she would have sold her car, most of the real estate and all the monkey pets would probably have died by then. And she would be watching her old films on videocassette with a Sony player instead of as old 35 mm prints.

Also when she went to the studio and saw DeMille, he'd be dead too as would all the extras and cameramen like Hawkeye, so that scene would have to be cut.

Think about it...

• Thanks 1

if she ends up getting nominated in 2020 for SUNSET BLVD REDUX, I would highly recommend Glenn take the **JOAN CRAWFORD IN 1945 route and develop an Oscar night "illness" that keeps her bedridden...but not so much so that she can't throw on a face and a tasteful negligee and accept the award "for her fans" from the front stairs should she happen to finally win.

(**or was that MOMMIE DEAREST?)

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yeah but it's a musical this time. :lol: 

20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if she ends up getting nominated in 2020 for SUNSET BLVD REDUX, I would highly recommend Glenn take the **JOAN CRAWFORD IN 1945 route and develop an Oscar night "illness" that keeps her bedridden...but not so much so that she can't throw on a face and a tasteful negligee and accept the award "for her fans" from the front stairs should she happen to finally win.

Hey, Lorna..did you see "Antique Roadshow" this week on PBS?

It might even have been an old show, but this person had a schedule made out by Joan for a woman who was taking care of all the children. I guess she'd been hired as kind of a nanny or jack of all trades and the dealer was assessing this totally off the wall schedule, which had Joan dictating every action taken about the children, which rather confirmed that Joan was not only a spooky, control freak but it sounded just like all the stories in "Mommy Dearest". I mean, it was like this:

1] Put the baby on the toilet and leave him there, while you dress Christine but only allow her to wear the white stockings with her black Mary Janes and make her wash her own face and brush her hair.

2] Then give the baby 2 ounces of orange juice and make him drink it in the kitchen. No talking while he is swallowing.

3] Make sure all wire hangers are with the top hook facing outward and move all the potted plants before mopping the entryway.

Okay, I made that all up but it was very similar in tone. The person with the schedule, had gotten it from their mother as I recall, so it was verified to be true that this person worked for Joan.

• Thanks 1
On 3/1/2019 at 5:11 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

LOL. Good strategy!