Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bogus Movie Biographies

CaveGirl

I should clarify and say somewhat "bogus" or mostly "bogus" I guess, since many films about famous personages only take some liberties with the truth, and can have factual material mixed in.

Take for example, "The Agony and the Ecstasy". Now the basic storyline is okay I guess even though some bits are fudged like people's ages and such, but basically Michelangelo's duress under Pope Julius II, is true enough. What is not so true, is the complete avoidance of Michelangelo's basic human core, of shall we say, attraction to men, and this is not just be omission but also by direct tactics of trying to create the inference of possible romantic liaisons with women, like the one played by Diana Cilento in the film.

Not saying there is some romantic scene of them kissing in the Sistine Chapel, but still. This is not just like having the wrong school mentioned in a film, or incorrect minor information being purveyed to the viewer, but a possible basic background component of a personality that seems essential to a biography of such.

It is pretty well established historically that at the very least, Michelangelo was writing love notes to Tommaso dei Cavalieri and the one woman he was just friends with, Vittoria Colonna was just a buddy, plus his descendants tried to change the gender of wording in his poems to seemingly hide things.

Any somewhat or seriously flawed movie biographies you have seen?

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I think it was moral cowardice to shy away from showing graphic physicality between the Suidae family and the Araneae order in Charlotte's Web, (1974) animated. Petty taxonomic distinctions have got to go!

Being a descendant of the Lycosa Carnivora clan, I heartily agree with your position, Sgt. Markoff. I personally was rooting for the spider over Scott Carey in "The Incredible Shrinking Man" in the cake fight scene and hated seeing him get offed with that giant nail.

As we all know, dreams about spiders are mostly due to phallic desires, which society should be able to accept after all these eons, as being just natural responses to stimuli.

Thank you for your as always insightful remarks.

45 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Please. The Man of a Thousand Faces has got to be the biggest hunk of ---- if ever there was one. And let us not forget Houdini with Tony Curtis. Yikes!

Oh, you said a mouthful, Janet! Tony Curtis as Houdini was quite a hoot!

Also great analysis of TMOATF. I wonder if they would ever do a bio pic of Chaney reflecting upon charges of him being less than kind to his son, Creighton? That was his real name I think, and I have read of allegations of somewhat parental abuse but don't know the extent of it.

Much appreciation, Janet of your filmic knowledge!

The fact that Christ is depicted as male in almost every biopic about Jesus. It's bogus. The Christ Figure should apply to women as well as men, but the patriarchal bias of organized religion and how this transfers on to a lot of films, is prevalent.

Fortunately DEAD MAN WALKING presents a female Christ-figure in the form of Sister Helen (played by Susan Sarandon). Also Emily Watson's character in BREAKING THE WAVES is regarded as a Christ-figure. But these examples are few and far between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

;) Seems like this is a longstanding burr under your saddle, pod nuh

Tell me, when did you ever see a woman give away anything for free? And y'know Jesus did a lot of trampin' around the Holy Land. When did you ever see a woman walk when she could get someone to carry her? Come to think of it, when did you ever see a grown woman who wasn't a man-hater? And what female would renounce all worldly goods? The theory fails outright

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Seems like this is a longstanding burr under your saddle, pod nuh

Tell me, when did you ever see a woman give away anything for free? And y'know Jesus did a lot of trampin' around the Holy Land. When did you ever see a woman walk when she could get someone to carry her? Come to think of it, when did you ever see a grown woman who wasn't a man-hater? And what female would renounce all worldly goods? The theory fails outright

This is not personal for me. The topic of the thread is bogus movie biographies. And I think if we look at screen Christologies, and evaluate the depiction of Christ figures in non-feminist films, we see a very biased (bogus) fiction. I'm merely making an observation, it doesn't actually affect my life. Yet I don't see a reason to bash females either, if that is in fact what you are doing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

the next thing ya know, they'll be saying Crippen was mad

Due to loving any books on serial killers, as I recall, dear little Ethel Leneve, who was Crippen's paramour, went undercover after her dealings with Crippen and married and few knew of her original crime fame. Such scenarios like hers and Anne Perry are always instructive, as cautionary tales.

This is why one should always do a background check on anyone they might date!

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The fact that Christ is depicted as male in almost every biopic about Jesus. It's bogus. The Christ Figure should apply to women as well as men, but the patriarchal bias of organized religion and how this transfers on to a lot of films, is prevalent.

Fortunately DEAD MAN WALKING presents a female Christ-figure in the form of Sister Helen (played by Susan Sarandon). Also Emily Watson's character in BREAKING THE WAVES is regarded as a Christ-figure. But these examples are few and far between.

Wow, TB you are becoming quite the anarchist and an iconoclastic marvel!

it's funny you say this, as I was going to make a post about Christ figure symbolism in films, with things like James Dean with the rifle/ crucifix shot and Grant Williams in "The Incredible Shrinking Man" peering through the basement screen, though Richard Matheson hated that aspect of the filming of his book, by such heavy handed symbolism.

I always learn something from your posts and they are most appreciated!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

;) Seems like this is a longstanding burr under your saddle, pod nuh

Ah shucks, Sgt. Markoff, I only hate "some" men, you know, the really annoying ones that even men hate too!

My mother once warned me, she said "If other men hate a guy, you can bet that guy is a real nincompoop and lower echelon male that one should always stay away from, since other men know the score on such jerks."

I have not renounced all worldy goods yet, as I need some money to keep my place nice with down-filled chenille couches and chairs so decent and intelligent men have somewhere to rest, while I serve them snacks and libation. 

13 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

just joshin. its that ole reprobate dargo, he's a bad influenza on me

This "influenza" Groucho style remark, reminds me of the old joke, "Why do Siamese twins never learn anything?"

Everything you say to them goes in one ear and out the other, in one ear and out the other.

Apologies to my favorite "Freaks" performers, the Hilton Twins.

On 3/1/2019 at 3:27 PM, CaveGirl said:

Oh, you said a mouthful, Janet! Tony Curtis as Houdini was quite a hoot!

Also great analysis of TMOATF. I wonder if they would ever do a bio pic of Chaney reflecting upon charges of him being less than kind to his son, Creighton? That was his real name I think, and I have read of allegations of somewhat parental abuse but don't know the extent of it.

Much appreciation, Janet of your filmic knowledge!

Yeah, I don't know. I've got bio books on the family, but who the hell knows what the real story is? Supposedly Chaney Sr dunked his baby in an ice cold lake to revive him. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A Song to Remember about the live of Chopin.    I find Paul Muni to be very annoying in the film but Oberon as George Sand was interesting.

Song to Remember .jpeg

I love the music of Chopin, but this movie is awful, and also not an accurate depiction of George Sand, who is portrayed as a bit of a possessive b***.  It was pretty well-known that she  cared for him during his illness with TB, and at times was motherly (she was several years older than he was).  I much prefer Impromptu, which is much more fun.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2019 at 7:05 AM, Sepiatone said:

Most biopics get it either wrong or take too many other liberties.  a few that come to mind...

AMADEUS

THE FIVE PENNIES

THE DOORS

SERGEANT YORK

YOUNG TOM EDISON 

Sepiatone

Sometimes a biopic can be factually "wrong," but still a fine film.  Both Amadeus and Sergeant York are examples of this.  In fact, one of the most entertaining biopics for me is They Died with Their Boots On, an almost entirely fictionalized account of Custer.  Sometimes if a film is well-done and entertaining on its own it can be treated on its own merits.  On the other hand, ill-done bios can be real stinkers or even comical, for instance, Mickey Rooney collapsing in the rain in front of the shoe store that sells lifts in Words and Music.  Except for the musical numbers, I can't sit through that one.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rosebette said:

On the other hand, ill-done bios can be real stinkers or even comical, for instance, Mickey Rooney collapsing in the rain in front of the shoe store that sells lifts in Words and Music.  Except for the musical numbers, I can't sit through that one.

Rooney in Words and Music would also be another one of the OP's inexcusable examples of "Not gay enough".  ;)  (In fact, Hart reportedly did make it to the show uninvited, and tried to pal around the cast and crew backstage during the act break despite a few drinks, and generally embarrassed himself and Rodgers.)

Also, entire generations willingly believe Tim Burton completely at his word for Ed Wood, despite the fact that the entire script seemed to be written out of three pages of the Medveds' "Golden Turkey Awards", and completely erases Ed's producer/co-writer Alex B. Gordon from the story, who, in fact, was responsible for much of the backstage work.

And then, of course, where do we start with Danny Kaye in Hans Christian Andersen?--Who had to switch his tragic crush from an opera singer to a ballerina, because Sam Goldwyn always insisted on ballet numbers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

Rooney in Words and Music would also be another one of the OP's inexcusable examples of "Not gay enough".  ;)  (In fact, Hart reportedly did make it to the show uninvited, and tried to pal around the cast and crew backstage during the act break despite a few drinks, and generally embarrassed himself and Rodgers.)

Also, entire generations willingly believe Tim Burton completely at his word for Ed Wood, despite the fact that the entire script seemed to be written out of three pages of the Medveds' "Golden Turkey Awards", and completely erases Ed's producer/co-writer Alex B. Gordon from the story, who, in fact, was responsible for much of the backstage work.

And then, of course, where do we start with Danny Kaye in Hans Christian Andersen?--Who had to switch his tragic crush from an opera singer to a ballerina, because Sam Goldwyn always insisted on ballet numbers.

Or the tall and gorgeous Cary Grant and Alexis Smith in the Cole Porter bio Night and Day.  Obviously, Porter approved the casting.   I have to admit I find this one watchable for the musical numbers and cast, though, and I also enjoy Warners' Rhapsody in Blue, despite its inaccuracies.  Delovely with Kevin Kline is a more accurate biopic of Porter, but many of the musical numbers are appalling, especially Sheryl Crow's Begin the Beguine, which isn't even recognizable as the original melody.  The only songs I can tolerate in that movie are those sung by Diana Krall and Natalie Cole, as well as Kline himself (he sort of talk-sings them, but his version of "So in Love" can almost move me to tears).  Also Delovely has some factual inaccuracies, such as the male lead who is singing Night and Day is clearly gay and attractive to Porter, yet in the actual Broadway show and film of The Gay Divorcee, a straight, rather geeky-looking, and very married Fred Astaire was the lead.  Apparently Porter's wife was also several years older than he was, which isn't indicated in either film.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 9:41 PM, TopBilled said:

What is so bogus about it? In every text I have ever read or studied from, Jesus Christ WAS a man. Unless you are questioning the validity of the Bible? If you are, then you have a basis for your belief.

On 3/3/2019 at 7:05 AM, Sepiatone said:

Most biopics get it either wrong or take too many other liberties.  a few that come to mind...

AMADEUS

THE FIVE PENNIES

THE DOORS

SERGEANT YORK

YOUNG TOM EDISON 

Sepiatone

But The Mick can play anyone, Sepia!

He would have been great as Mozart also I bet...haha.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings