Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tommy Lee Jones

Brrrcold

If memory serves me correct, ole Tommy Lee is a 'Harvard man' himself. He's got an Ivy league degree from somewhere.

Fave performance: starring as 'Brick' opposite Jessica Lange as 'Maggie the Cat' in Tennessee Williams' 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof'.

13 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

Can anyone explain why Tommy Lee Jones is not included in the credits of any movies in the database? Coal Miner's Daughter, The Fugitive, JFK, Men in Black ...? It's like he's been scrubbed out.

Probably because he roomed with Al Gore in college?  I like Tommy Lee Jones' performances.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 9:28 PM, Brrrcold said:

Can anyone explain why Tommy Lee Jones is not included in the credits of any movies in the database? Coal Miner's Daughter, The Fugitive, JFK, Men in Black ...? It's like he's been scrubbed out.

I think we should search out the reason for this!

tumblr_mxe58twxQ81qz5q5lo1_500.gif

"And be sure to check out every warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse within a five mile radius while doing this!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I first became aware of Mr. Jones when he was Dr. Mark Toland on ABC's "One Life To Live" soap opera('bout '73).  Yep, the ex would have it on when I got home from work, and I confess I got into it.  BTW, Tommy played TOM BERENGER's character's brother in law on the show.  ;)

Maybe a dislike for his soap opera beginning has something to do with this?

Sepiatone

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

There is literally no compelling reason to access or use the TCM database.

I always use Wikipedia.  It seems to have lots more information, more easily accessed.  Don't use IMDB either, but I think it is a TCM product.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I always use Wikipedia.  It seems to have lots more information, more easily accessed.  Don't use IMDB either, but I think it is a TCM product.

IMDb is now owned by Amazon. It has never been a "TCM product". IMDb is also a lot more comprehensive than Wikipedia.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

IMDb is now owned by Amazon. It has never been a "TCM product". IMDb is also a lot more comprehensive than Wikipedia.

Another reason not to use it.  I don't like Amazon and do not patronize it.  When I have gone to the IMDB site, it seemed to have very scanty information.  Don't you have to sign in (register) or something to get the full details?  Maybe I just find Wiki easier to use at this point.

Thanks though.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

True Lawrence, except for the lack of a more comprehensive plot synopsis of the movies at the IMDb website, and of which Wiki does supply in most cases.

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

True Lawrence, except in most cases for the lack of a more comprehensive plot synopsis of the movies at the IMDb website, and of which Wiki does supply in most cases.

I've rarely found a movie without a synopsis on IMDb. However, I have run across dozens and dozens of movies that Wikipedia doesn't even have a page for, let alone a plot synopsis.

• Like 1

Just now, LawrenceA said:

I've rarely found a movie without a synopsis on IMDb. However, I have run across dozens and dozens of movies that Wikipedia doesn't even have a page for, let alone a plot synopsis.

True again, but I've very often found the IMDb plot synopsis of films supply less detail than at Wiki.

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

True again, but I've very often found the IMDb plot synopsis of films supply less detail than at Wiki.

Yeah, the IMDb synopsis is usually a basic plot set-up, but without spoilers. The Wikipedia synopsis will often lay out everything that happens in a movie from beginning to end. I tend to prefer the former, but the latter can be helpful if one doesn't mind spoilers.

In the end, people can use whichever info source they wish, it makes no difference to me. I use both Wikipedia and IMDb, as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. But if someone else likes one more than the other, I can't say I really give a ****, as I have no stock in either. Hell, I even use actual books, too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, the IMDb synopsis is usually a basic plot set-up, but without spoilers. The Wikipedia synopsis will often lay out everything that happens in a movie from beginning to end. I tend to prefer the the former, but the latter can be helpful if one doesn't mind spoilers.

In the end, people can use whichever info source they wish, it makes no difference to me. I use both Wikipedia and IMDb, as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. But if someone else likes one more than the other, I can't say I really give a ****, as I have no stock in either. Hell, I even use actual books, too!

Yeah, exactly.

In my case, I have to admit I've used Wiki's more extensive plot synopsis tendencies (or "spoilers" if you prefer) many a time when I've found for whatever reason such as just plain losing interest in it and so don't stick all the way through to a film's ending, but still would like know how it ends.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've come across many foreign films that don't have any information on their IMDB page (just the title) or they don't even have an IMDB page at all. Wikipedia is better sometimes. For example, Wikipedia has a relatively informative page for "The Shore of Salvation" while IMDB's page is virtually blank.

• Like 1

I happened to catch Tommy in an errant little TV movie once; (I think I was probably staying at a friend's house and this flick was what they wanted to watch that evening). Anyway, while I didn't think very much of the production values or direction; nonetheless I did appreciate Jones, he's a fairly talented actor with plenty of screen presence. Similar in verve to James Caan, in a way. Unusual to see him in this small-screen role; and I wondered why he chose it. Oh well. Its a thriller set in NYC and Jones plays a disgruntled malcontent who has somehow rigged Central Park with explosives; and he's holding everyone in it, hostage. "This Park is Mine". The plot is decently clever. For much of the film, Jones wears tactical gear and lugs an M-16 around; who wouldnt look good doing that?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings