Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bad movies redeemed by their ending.

slaytonf

Ok, I know one.  But maybe people know of others.  The one I'm talking about is called The Hatchet Man (1932), with Edward G. Robinson and Loretta Young, directed by William Wellman.  Mr. Robinson, as Wong Low Get, stars as a hereditary assassin for a tong in preWWI San Francisco--

--I know, I know, and I almost stopped watching when he entered with his wretched eye make-up--but stick with me. . . .

So he's been ordered to whack his best friend who unknowingly has just that evening made out his will, leaving Wong his fortune and baby daughter to marry when she grows up--

--wait! wait! don't leave!  I understand, but I promise what I said is true, the ending redeems the whole movie, really it does! 

So anyway, she grows up and he marries her, despite the age difference.  But it's postWWI, and he's a modern guy, so it's not by the oldworld type of arranged marriage, but he asks her and she says ok.  But this tong war starts up and a bunch of heavies are brought in from the East coast, including a young hotshot--

--and you can pretty well guess where the movie goes, and you'd be right, but don't give up, keep with it--

So the hotshot and wife hookup.  Wong coming back finds them in delecto, but as he is about to hatchet the hotshot, the wife reminds him of his sacred oath to Buddha to dedicate himself to her happiness.  So since she can only be happy with the hotshot, he sends them off with each other--

--and I was ready to turn it off at this point, too, but through some perverse fascination, I stuck with it--

So naturally, the hotshot drags the wife down to the pits, and Wong goes to save her, and finally we get the ending:

Man, I don't know how they got away with that ending, even in pre code-enforcement 1932, but it saves the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Experienced something today, hope I was mistaken or dreaming or something. I boarded a city transit bus in my neighborhood which picks up near a junior high school. It was around 3 or 4 pm-ish. I pay my fare, walk to a seat in the middle of the bus, and sit.

What I expect to hear from the back of the bus where a large crowd of kids are riding this bus just after having exited school for the day...I expect to hear raucous babble, jabber, chatter, laughter, jeers, slurs, taunts, jokes, catcalls, railery. Poking or prodding or shoving each other.

What I hear instead: complete, dead, empty, silence. Not a single word. No interaction at all. Every one of these twerps not even being a kid; just flatline brain dead zombies.

There's no way this is not wrong. Dang. Their parents truly oughta be HUNG FROM THE NEAREST LAMPPOST.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Experienced something today, hope I was mistaken or dreaming or something. I boarded a city transit bus in my neighborhood which picks up near a junior high school. It was around 3 or 4 pm-ish. I pay my fare, walk to a seat in the middle of the bus, and sit.

What I expect to hear from the back of the bus where a large crowd of kids are riding this bus just after having exited school for the day...I expect to hear raucous babble, jabber, chatter, laughter, jeers, slurs, taunts, jokes, catcalls, railery. Poking or prodding or shoving each other.

What I hear instead: complete, dead, empty, silence. Not a single word. No interaction at all. Every one of these twerps not even being a kid; just flatline brain dead zombies.

There's no way this is not wrong. Dang. Their parents truly oughta be HUNG FROM THE NEAREST LAMPPOST.

I take it maybe they were all gazing down at their phones. :lol: 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Play this song by Roger Miller, when the hangman enters the schoolyard, Sarge, and please take photos!:

"Dang me, dang me
They oughta take a rope and hang me
High from the highest tree
Woman, would you weep for me?"

Though it is actually not really a 'bad movie" as how can any Olsen Twins film be classified as such, my favorite movie redemption scene for any failings in the film is in "New York Minute" from 2004.

In it  we find at the ending that one of the Olsen twins has been given a college scholarship to Oxford because of her totally ethical behaviour that is mentioned saying that she "didn't just want to win, she absolutely refused to fail." How laudable is that!!!

In view of the current college entrance cheating allegations, I think this ending makes the Olsen Twin movie a must see, plus it also has the distinction of possibly being the final film with both twins appearing, I think, which is also a wonderful denouement for all viewers of movies that their screen pairings have ended.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings