Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Starring John Boles March 4

Hey, I may be the only one but I am excited about TCM giving a small tip of the hat to John Boles. His acting style was "of its time" but he always put in a fine and believable performance.  And, I recently found out that he was a fine singer, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Until looking up his wiki page, I had no idea he was a singer. Also notable he had a successful long term marriage-unusual for Hollywood. He sure was handsome too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lydecker said:

Hey, I may be the only one but I am excited about TCM giving a small tip of the hat to John Boles. His acting style was "of its time" but he always put in a fine and believable performance.  And, I recently found out that he was a fine singer, too.

I have only seen two films with him

Frankenstein (1931)

and

Curly Top (1935) a great scene is where he sings the title song while playing the piano. Shirley Temple tap dances on top of the piano.

I'm also happy about this. Some rare films will be shown including the restored color "King Of Jazz". Finally something to look forward to. And so far, they haven't taken it off the schedule.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I have only seen two films with him

Frankenstein (1931)

and

Curly Top (1935) a great scene is where he sings the title song while playing the piano. Shirley Temple tap dances on top of the piano.

He did another Shirley Temple film, The Littlest Rebel, in 1935 as well.

• Thanks 1

MUSIC IN THE AIR (1934) is more entertaining than one may suppose, not least because of the Jerome Kern score (Oscar Hammerstein II lyrics), but the Boles/Swanson combination is amusing.

• Like 1

Always thought Boles would have made a great Ashley Wilkes.

(...what with him so often playing the "stiff collar" type so well)

• Like 1

I've never seen CRAIG'S WIFE (1936) the second feature up tonight. I have, of course, seen the 1950 JOAN CRAWFORD remake HARRIET CRAIG, otherwise what the Hell kind of fan would I call myself?

I have listened to some of the radio adaptations of the original stage play (which maybe won the Pulitzer?), there is actually a plotline about a suicide (or was it MURDER?!) that was strangely omitted from the CRAWFORD version, which is odd, since JOAN always seemed to have one velvet-pump clad foot in noir at that time...

(And the other, of course, two steps from the gutter)

• Like 1

edit- yup, it appears to have won the Pulitzer.

LOVE the hooker blue eye shadow and fake lash combo Roz is working in this poster!

MV5BNWY3NmI4MzQtNmYwNy00NTYwLThhMTUtZDUy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Always thought Boles would have made a great Ashley Wilkes.

(...what with him so often playing the "stiff collar" type so well)

Did you know Selznick's first choice for Ashley was Jeffrey Lynn...? But yeah, Boles would have been interesting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

oh, I also see it was directed by DOROTHY ARZNER...

More interesting...

After having read so much about Dorothy Arzner, I had wanted to see this movie for years. I watched it on YouTube this summer. You're definitely in for a treat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Did you know Selznick's first choice for Ashley was Jeffrey Lynn...? But yeah, Boles would have been interesting.

Clips of the Jeffrey Lynn screen test are included in a GWTW anniversary documentary, as well as clips of Melvyn Douglas. I suspect Selznick would have ruled out Boles as AW because there was not enough contrast between his features and Gable's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(I'm so GD happy Oscar month is over!)

You said it!  I have been counting down The F---ing 31 days!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Jeffrey Lynn was such a stiff!!!

20 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Clips of the Jeffrey Lynn screen test are included in a GWTW anniversary documentary, as well as clips of Melvyn Douglas. I suspect Selznick would have ruled out Boles as AW because there was not enough contrast between his features and Gable's.

Makes sense. Though they could have had Boles dye his hair.

12 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Jeffrey Lynn was such a stiff!!!

I think the main reason Selznick didn't select him for Ashley, is because Lynn hadn't been in very many films yet. They were already taking a gamble on Leigh, who was relatively unknown. But if Lynn had been more established and had more clout at the box office, he probably would've been given the role.

Lynn was the right age for the character and he had a patrician looking face that was perfect for Ashley.

screen-shot-2019-03-04-at-7.00.50-pm.jpe

On 3/4/2019 at 10:22 AM, Brrrcold said:

MUSIC IN THE AIR (1934) is more entertaining than one may suppose, not least because of the Jerome Kern score (Oscar Hammerstein II lyrics), but the Boles/Swanson combination is amusing.

I really enjoyed Swanson's singing! I wish she had appeared in more musicals.

• Like 1

I was happy to see the John Boles tribute as I've had a little crush on him for years. He wasn't the most exciting actor in the world, but he played all his roles with warmth, intelligence and sensitivity. And he could sing! He deserves to be better remembered.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Midge said:

I was happy to see the John Boles tribute as I've had a little crush on him for years. He wasn't the most exciting actor in the world, but he played all his roles with warmth, intelligence and sensitivity. And he could sing! He deserves to be better remembered.

Nicely said!

• Thanks 1

When I first started watching TCM, lo these many years ago, about the only thing I knew about John Boles was that he was Stella Dallas' husband, Stephen.  His biography on IMDB is interesting, to say the least.  The guy seemed to be so good at so many things, he had a choice of numerous career paths and would have been successful at whichever one he chose.

In December of last year or perhaps January of this year, TCM showed 'Rio Rita' from 1929.  Like 'The King of Jazz', it was done in 2-strip technicolor, and Boles showed off his singing skills, which I thought was better than his acting.  Not knowing he had the ability to carry a tune, I was blown away by his performance.

I hadn't seen 'Craig's Wife' before last night, and I thought the film was excellent.  Rosalind Russell had a way of being so casually pleasant, then possessive and spiteful at the drop of a hat.  Boles displayed some good facial expressions here with some of the saddest eyes you'll ever see when the character is brooding, but when he smiled, he could light up a room.  I also thought Jane Darwell's performance was top-notch, along with Elizabeth Risdon and Billie Burke, who departed from her usual scatter-brained, paranoid portrayals, and played the thoughtful neighbor of the Craigs.

Like some guys, I think Boles looked better with a mustache than without (as was shown in 'The King of Jazz').

• Like 2

On 3/4/2019 at 2:24 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

edit- yup, it appears to have won the Pulitzer.

LOVE the hooker blue eye shadow and fake lash combo Roz is working in this poster!

MV5BNWY3NmI4MzQtNmYwNy00NTYwLThhMTUtZDUy

I just saw this film.  This poster is as close as Boles is ever allowed to get to Roz througout the film.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1