Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Starring John Boles March 4

On 3/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, Brrrcold said:

MUSIC IN THE AIR (1934) is more entertaining than one may suppose, not least because of the Jerome Kern score (Oscar Hammerstein II lyrics), but the Boles/Swanson combination is amusing.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, Brrrcold said:

MUSIC IN THE AIR (1934) is more entertaining than one may suppose, not least because of the Jerome Kern score (Oscar Hammerstein II lyrics), but the Boles/Swanson combination is amusing.

This one is lots of fun.  Kind of Lubitschy, and Boles and Swanson are both great as egotistic theater types.  Boles is light and funny; I've always seen him in solemn and stiff roles.  You can see that musical theater is his forte.  Plus Douglass Montgomery in leiderhosen is a sight to behold.

• Like 1

Yeah, Douglass Montgomery in lederhosen! That's definitely worth the price of admission. 😀

I watched King of Jazz on this website but had to fast-forward through much of it. It was colorful, but the musical numbers are terribly dated and the comedy routines were painful. John Boles' singing style was very much in the operetta vein, with perfect mid-Atlantic diction and rolled Rs. Much as I love John Boles, I didn't love the songs. It was fun to see a young Bing Crosby, though, with his original Rhythm Boys partners, Al Rinker and Harry Barris. And I loved that snake hips dancer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1