Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Maybe its not couthe to quote from my own link, but this little statement was in this Variety article. Make of it what you will. It's from a letter to various people in the WB/Turner organization.

 

 

The benefits of keeping TCM going, as-is, definitely outweigh the losses.  Anyone who can't see that is probably also too stupid to breathe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

But what I find most galling is the "exclusivity" of territories. My city is broken up into zones, only Spectrum is available in one section, and only Verizon is available a few streets over, no overlap, no choice. THAT is a monopoly!

Tiki:

This article is from 2000, but there's a lot that still seems familiar.  One thing that has changed is that a cable and satellite conduits have increasingly become content owners as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that TCM remains what it is. But then I have all of my  memories about big corporations and when they decide to "make something more relevant". Fox Movie Channel in 2012 (??) becoming half what you can see on Cinemax any day of the week and half classic. Or so they say. Instead the classic half seems largely an object lesson in how Fox was falling apart in the early 60s with bad star choices/bad movies allowing Darryl F. Zanuck's triumphant return. No running of the rare stuff from the 30s anymore. Then there is Disney, which is the kiss of death to everything it touches in the 21st century. Marvel - looks like it is down for the count. The Star Wars franchise ruined. Why is it that Rhea can pick up a light saber the first time and be a pro - act like a Jedi/fight like a Jedi - when we watched Mark Hamill's Luke spend three movies getting to that point learning hard lessons along the way? Oh yeah, The Force is feminine. (Rolls eyes). George Lucas' prequels 1999-2005 were mediocre movies, but at least it WAS Star Wars. Pixar's time will come I'm sure. And AT&T. They have made Directv's customer service go from Grade A to Grade F with their labyrinth of robots you must interface with before you have any hope of getting to a human being. They unplugged Filmstruck for the fun of it all when they had nothing on tap to replace it. So I fully expect to wake up one morning to have found the message boards to have gone unexpectedly dark. If so, it's been a pleasure knowing all of you.

MovieCollectorOH - please keep your database around on your webpage for old time's sake if you can.

Maybe we can start a subreddit entitled ExiledTCMites or something. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I hope that TCM remains what it is. But then I have all of my  memories about big corporations and when they decide to "make something more relevant". Fox Movie Channel in 2012 (??) becoming half what you can see on Cinemax any day of the week and half classic. Or so they say. Instead the classic half seems largely an object lesson in how Fox was falling apart in the early 60s with bad star choices/bad movies allowing Darryl F. Zanuck's triumphant return. No running of the rare stuff from the 30s anymore. Then there is Disney, which is the kiss of death to everything it touches in the 21st century. Marvel - looks like it is down for the count. The Star Wars franchise ruined. Why is it that Rhea can pick up a light saber the first time and be a pro - act like a Jedi/fight like a Jedi - when we watched Mark Hamill's Luke spend three movies getting to that point learning hard lessons along the way? Oh yeah, The Force is feminine. (Rolls eyes). George Lucas' prequels 1999-2005 were mediocre movies, but at least it WAS Star Wars. Pixar's time will come I'm sure. And AT&T. They have made Directv's customer service go from Grade A to Grade F with their labyrinth of robots you must interface with before you have any hope of getting to a human being. They unplugged Filmstruck for the fun of it all when they had nothing on tap to replace it. So I fully expect to wake up one morning to have found the message boards to have gone unexpectedly dark. If so, it's been a pleasure knowing all of you.

MovieCollectorOH - please keep your database around on your webpage for old time's sake if you can.

Maybe we can start a subreddit entitled ExiledTCMites or something. 

I share in your lamentations over the ruination of the Fox Movie Channel, which I used to record from quite often, but haven't in a couple of years at least,

Regarding your appraisal of Disney, personal tastes not withstanding, all of the other studios wish they had Disney's troubles, what with releasing more than one billion-grossing film a year. "Marvel down for the count"? How so? Black Panther was a huge hit and a cultural phenomenon, Avengers: Infinity War was a colossal money maker, Ant-Man and the Wasp was a decent enough hit, and Captain Marvel looks to have a $150- million-plus opening weekend. And Avengers: Endgame will most likely be the biggest hit of the year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I share in your lamentations over the ruination of the Fox Movie Channel, which I used to record from quite often, but haven't in a couple of years at least,

Regarding your appraisal of Disney, personal tastes not withstanding, all of the other studios wish they had Disney's troubles, what with releasing more than one billion-grossing film a year. "Marvel down for the count"? How so? Black Panther was a huge hit and a cultural phenomenon, Avengers: Infinity War was a colossal money maker, Ant-Man and the Wasp was a decent enough hit, and Captain Marvel looks to have a $150- million-plus opening weekend. And Avengers: Endgame will most likely be the biggest hit of the year.

It takes time for Disney to ruin a franchise. All of the Marvels you mention did/are doing OK except for probably Captain Marvel. The early reviews are not good, and that film is supposed to set the direction and tone for the subsequent Marvel films. I know Brie Larson is getting some hate for something that has nothing to do with the film, but reviews are coming back that Captain Marvel is boring. Star Wars will always make money, even if the film is mediocre, because they are films that the whole family can watch. Like I said, Pixar is yet to show any downward spiral from being under their control.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, calvinnme said:

It takes time for Disney to ruin a franchise. All of the Marvels you mention did/are doing OK except for probably Captain Marvel. The early reviews are not good, and that film is supposed to set the direction and tone for the subsequent Marvel films. I know Brie Larson is getting some hate for something that has nothing to do with the film, but reviews are coming back that Captain Marvel is boring. Star Wars will always make money, even if the film is mediocre, because they are films that the whole family can watch.

Now that the whole 10-year Avengers series is gearing up for their big finale this April, Marvel reportedly wants to use Captain Marvel's "twist" of coming in earlier in the timeline to jumpstart a new franchise, and...it ain't happening.  Still going to see it, but I've jokingly referred to Captain Marvel as "Marvel's Fantastic Beasts"--An attempt to try and throw together Hit Franchise 2.0 out of spare parts, after their big culturally-prized showpiece finally made its long journey from A to Z, all the A-list actors were killed off or went home, and there's no epic story left to tell.

I feel like I've been Cassandra in warning that '20-'23 movies are going to face the prospect of Life Without Marvel, and the fact that studios for the last eight or nine years have been single-mindedly crafting their entire output to How Marvel Does It, without a Plan B, the sudden tapping-out of the gold mine is going to freak a few of them out for What to Do Next.  I've had a prophetic dream of seven cows eating seven Groots, and the famine from here on in isn't going to be pretty. ;) 

Quote

Like I said, Pixar is yet to show any downward spiral from being under their control.

And don't think Bob Iger hasn't TRIED, constantly forcing sequels down Pixar's throats for no other reasons than making announcements for the sake of marketing.  I'll believe there's an earthly reason to make Toy Story 4 when I see it, and from what I hear, I'm holding off the bets.

But anyway:  Warner and TCM--Like I said, TCM is too valuable a brandname for Warner to mess with, although everything else Turner is about to be shoveled into the furnace.  After years of ignoring Cartoon Network for stoner Adult Swim marketing, Warner needs the "kids and YA" Cartoon Network in an attempt to jumpstart the Hanna-Barbera, Looney, Scooby and Tom & Jerry brandnames for the foreseeable future, just as much as they need "TCM" to be the brandname for other old films they can attach to Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, King Kong and The Searchers.  Relax, we're too useful for the chop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Then there is Disney, which is the kiss of death to everything it touches in the 21st century.

Haha, love that observation!

I realize my opinion isn't shared by many, but to me the Disney Corp started going downhill after Walt's death. Without Walt's innovative artistic/marketing sensibilities at the helm, the company seems to have lost it's way.

15 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I fully expect to wake up one morning to have found the message boards to have gone unexpectedly dark. If so, it's been a pleasure knowing all of you.

Poof!

This board will surely be missed having been a major influence of my movie watching, which is an important activity in my life! While this board has been frustrating at times, the members are great for the most part. Especially those I've actually watched movies with, like calvin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see.  Just off the top of my head I think they did move their cartoon assets, children's fare and TCM into their own creative entertainment division.  Makes sense.  They wisely kept their news and sports out of it (those were essentially moved into their own competitive/combative division).  Also makes sense.  The Overlords do have a sense of humor.  I think it's safe to say, for the sake of keeping TCM as-is, they passed that first test. 

I'm not in favor of any of the massive corporate consolidation in recent times, though.  Remember that meme from the early 2000s that took so many by surprise?  "Only x amount of companies control all the media in the US."  Now the new meme that will take people by surprise will be "There used to be x amount of media companies, as founded".  And it would be one hell of a big timeline chart.  Essentially it would look like a mirror-image of this thing:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
Someone just needs to get all that data together and start crunching. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Let's see.  Just off the top of my head I think they did move their cartoon assets, children's fare and TCM into their own creative entertainment division.  Makes sense.  They wisely kept their news and sports out if it (those were essentially moved into their own competitive/combative division).  Also makes sense.  The Overlords do have a sense of humor.  I think it's safe to say, for the sake of keeping TCM as-is, they passed that first test. 

I'm not in favor of any of the massive corporate consolidation in recent times, though.  Remember that meme from the early 2000s that took so many by surprise?  "Only x amount of companies control all the media in the US."  Now the new meme that will take people by surprise will be "There used to be x amount of media companies, as founded".  And it would be one hell of a big timeline chart.  Essentially it would look like a mirror-image of this thing:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
Someone just needs to get all that data together and start crunching. ;)

This reminds me of an exchange in the 90s cartoon "Rugrats" that my stepkids watched at the time:

Angelica : Mommy, what do you do?

Charlotte Pickles : Let me put it this way. A corporation is like a big, hungry monster. My job is to find plenty of smaller, weaker monsters for it to eat.

I found that description clever and prescient at the time. Now it is downright frightening.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

 

Embattled Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara apologized to staff on Friday following the publication of a report alleging that he helped a woman get auditions after they had engaged in a sexual relationship.

“I deeply regret that I have made mistakes in my personal life that have caused pain and embarrassment to the people I love the most,” Tsujihara wrote in a note to staff. “I also deeply regret that these personal actions have caused embarrassment to the company and to all of you. I realized some time ago you are right to expect more from me and I set a course to do better. That journey continues.”

--Variety online 

Hmmmm...now what WAS that word I used earlier on page-1 of this thread to describe those high corporate types they hire to run things again???

(...oh yeah, "twerps"...THAT'S right)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The "twerps" are redoing DirecTV Now, making it less attractive than just about any other way to watch TV. They also plan, so I've read, to eventually shut down DirecTV satellite service, and already have a streaming replacement planned.

I am cautiously optimistic they will not destroy TCM, but slim it down, only to make them money. Keeping in mind, they (AT&T) are saddled with 180 Billion dollars in debt. I do worry about those special TCM programs like Noir Alley and TCM Underground. The between movie "vocalists" could vanish too. Yes, I am worried. Things at TCM could get very boring.

Would love to be totally wrong.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

The "twerps" are redoing DirecTV Now, making it less attractive than just about any other way to watch TV. They also plan, so I've read, to eventually shut down DirecTV satellite service, and already have a streaming replacement planned.

I am cautiously optimistic they will not destroy TCM, but slim it down, only to make them money. Keeping in mind, they (AT&T) are saddled with 180 Billion dollars in debt. I do worry about those special TCM programs like Noir Alley and TCM Underground. The between movie "vocalists" could vanish too. Yes, I am worried. Things at TCM could get very boring.

Would love to be totally wrong.

As I mentioned before on here, the buzz all over the Internet on Directv "going away" is largely attributed to the CEO who was blowing smoke up the backs of futures investors during a promotional speech on streaming.  Meanwhile there has actually been a new satellite in production, being prepared for launch.  Prior to that, other new satellites have also been launched in the not-too-distant past.  Anyhow I'm not convinced.  Sounds like BS to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

The "twerps" are redoing DirecTV Now, making it less attractive than just about any other way to watch TV. They also plan, so I've read, to eventually shut down DirecTV satellite service, and already have a streaming replacement planned.

I am cautiously optimistic they will not destroy TCM, but slim it down, only to make them money. Keeping in mind, they (AT&T) are saddled with 180 Billion dollars in debt. I do worry about those special TCM programs like Noir Alley and TCM Underground. The between movie "vocalists" could vanish too. Yes, I am worried. Things at TCM could get very boring.

Would love to be totally wrong.

P.S. The Directv interface "updates" are just them unifying the on-screen UI with their Android/smart-phone version, so there is only one UI for them to maintain.  That is why it looks so clunky and dumbed down lately.  Just like apps on a smart phone except bigger.

I see you are talking about the Directv Now service, which is NOT the satellite service.  I don't "do" streaming for various reasons, so could that also be the same thing here?  Or are we talking about something entirely different?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

The benefits of keeping TCM going, as-is, definitely outweigh the losses.  Anyone who can't see that is probably also too stupid to breathe.

I guess I'm too stupid to breathe...

all they're doing is beating the same movies into the ground over and over and over again quite unceasingly.

we could all stand to lose that.

:)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

To be clear, DirecTV Now is increasing their prices. The is the redo I am talking about. Also, there are plans for a streaming version of DirecTV.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-will-reportedly-raise-its-price-10-a-month-next-week-launch-2-new-packages/

Okay, thanks for that.   Looks like they are getting around to working out the business model of their streaming service to the point where it makes viable long-term business sense for them.  Rather than undercut their own services in other divisions, it looks like they are seeking to match them.  I was expecting to see something like this in the long run.  The price increases are across the board.  I don't see anything here about the satellite services being discontinued.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long ago Cartoon Network rather sucked while Boomerang was fantastic and far superior.  Now Boomerang sucks and is virtually identical to the old version of Cartoon Network.  The current version of Cartoon Network is obscene and demented.  It’s a perfect match for AT&T

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, Ghost Host said:

Not long ago Cartoon Network rather sucked while Boomerang was fantastic and far superior.  Now Boomerang sucks and is virtually identical to the old version of Cartoon Network.

My, things change fast in the TV channel world!

I can remember when stores would change their merchandise focus, or radio stations would change format over a decade, but these days media changes so fast, you don't even have time to like/dislike much for long. Attention spans are just getting shorter & sh

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...